Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advise for removing wallpaper adhesive from walls?

savannah
May 9th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I have removed all the wallpaper from my bedroom walls, but now i see that there is a ton of adhesive left on the walls. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it off? I have tried wetting the walls with hot water and scraping, but it is not exactly working out.
If anyone has dealt with this, i would appreciate any words of advice. Thank you

Sneaky2006
May 9th, 2005, 01:35 PM
We used a mix of water and vinegar to get the glue off, but that was years ago... my brother was just doing this in his kitchen and he used windex with vinegar... I don't know about spraying all walls with windex but it worked for him! Good luck.

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Oh, gosh! We used a product once a loooong time ago. I forget what it's called. It's either STP or SPT, it's in a blue carton that resembles a milk carton. You can buy it at Home Depot.

I HATE wallpaper! In our old house, every single inch of wall was papered. Drove me nuts. There was one particularly stubborn wall - old, '70's red/orange velvet, flower wallpaper. There was no way in hades this stuff was coming off the wall, so we just put up pine panelling right over top of it. :D

Good luck getting that stubborn goop off! :p

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
You are thinking of TSP-tri-sodium-Phosphate. Good stuff, but not sure it would work for wallpaper.

If you have a humidifier, run it in the room for a few hours with the doors closed. Then, go in and spray the adhesive with rubbing alcohol. It will remove any adhesive. Vinegar might work too, but will take longer. Depending on your type of humidifier, some you can add a little vinegar to the water to help, or if you don't have a humidifier, you can get an electric kettle, fill with half water, half vinegar, and boil it for a while (making sure it doesn't dry out!!)

If the adhesive is really dry and crumbly...then you could sand it off.

Eleni
May 9th, 2005, 01:43 PM
i have a carton of that stuff too, I used it to wash my walls the people who lived here before smoke bleh!
and i used it to remove the yellow staining as much as i could before painting

Eleni

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I use liquid fabric softener(yeah the laundry stuff) mixed with warm water, put it in a spray bottle, and spray the walls and let it soak, (don't let it dry) then scrape ( I buy the razor blade scrapers from the dollar store).
Works like a charm :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM
yes I've tried the fabric softner and it works great!!

Princesss04
May 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I use liquid fabric softener(yeah the laundry stuff) mixed with warm water, put it in a spray bottle, and spray the walls and let it soak, (don't let it dry) then scrape ( I buy the razor blade scrapers from the dollar store).
Works like a charm :D

Well Happycats where was you at when I was ripping down wallpaper. LOL I will have to remember that! :D

chico2
May 9th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Those are some good clean solutions to a huge job,I used wall-paper remover mixed with water..it stinks,but it works!

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Well Happycats where was you at when I was ripping down wallpaper. LOL I will have to remember that! :D
:sorry: I guess I didn't see that thread :o

Schwinn
May 9th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I'd like to vote for the fabric softner as well. As a bonus, our walls are downey soft...

I'd say give it a try on just the glue. It'll probably still work. It worked awesome for us.

savannah
May 10th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone
i have tried the tsp already, and it did not really work for me. Maybe i did not make it concentrated enough. It did work great for cleaning and preparing walls to be painted. The old owners were also smokers, and the water came out dark yellow- orange - gross!
I will have to try the downey and water. I was thinking of renting a steamer, as i heard it has made life easier for people who are removing wallpaper, but then i don't have any wallpaper left, only glue, and i am afraid that the rental steamer may ruin my walls?
Thanks again for all the responses. I am going to try to tackle it again on Friday. I know that i HATE wallpaper! It's an old house, and luckily only 2 living spaces (kitchen and my bedroom) had wallpaper.

Bearsmom
May 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Walmart sells a fantastic wallpaper remover-worked like an absolute charm.