Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs in cemeteries

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I was wondering if it would be bad to bring my dog into a cemetery. This Friday I have to go out to Pickering (from Brampton) to pick something up from my parents house, and on the way back I was thinking of visiting my grandfather's grave. It will be a long day, and I was hoping to take Odin with me.

I have never been to my grandfather's grave, and only went to part of his funeral (they thought I was too young!), and since I'm on a geneology kick, I thought it would be good to check it out. My mother told me that maybe my grandfather's parents and other relatives are burried there, and I should look there for geneology info.

It's St. Johns Norway cemetery near the beaches area of Toronto (Woodbine and Kingston rd). It's really old as it was on the road between york and kingston that everyone took in the early 1800's. It's about 200 years old (do they have cemetery directories? Because I have no idea where he is burried)

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I used to take my dog to the pine hills cemetary in Scarborough all the time.
They had beautiful nature trails.
But I never took her near head stones, as I felt it would be disrespectful to allow her to walk accross them or possibly relieve herself on them :eek: .
And other's whose relatives are buried there may not like dogs, or want dogs walking all over the grave sites. JMO

Cactus Flower
May 9th, 2005, 02:24 PM
The people who run the cemetery should have a registry.

I'm torn about whether or not you should bring Odin. The first thing I thought was what happycats posted- people will think it's disrespectful, and yes I even imagined him trying to relieve himself within the cemetery grounds.
(Please don't be offended, I'm being completely honest).

I tried to imagine my Mom and I going to visit my recently deceased stepfather's grave, and seeing someone in there with a dog. What would I think/feel, as Mom and I stood there, emotions running high? We might overreact and make unfair assumptions that the owner is letting their dog potty within the grounds. We probably wouldn't look at them and assume that they are a responsible, respectful pet-owner like you. Again, I admit that this would be unfair, but I do think that our assumptions would be negative.

You did, however, mention that this is a very old cemetery, and that is why I am torn. By your description, I imagine it being deserted- not a place that people frequent very often.

I guess I would air on the side of caution, and not bring him, to avoid the possibility of offending anyone that might be there or show up there.

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
My brother is burried in Pine hills, but I've never been there. I don't think he has a headstone though, just a numbered plaque. He died when he was 13 and my parents were very poor at the time. It was 2 years before I was born.

I really should get up there and see his grave as well.

I agree about the headstones. I will just have to take him for a walk before, so he can releive himself!

I agree with you too cactus. I see your points.

It is a historical cemetary. Many people important to Ontario's and Toronto's history are burried there. It's also a tourist attraction, and used for movies a lot. Plus, it's right near the beaches, so it's 50/50 that it could be busy or not. It's still being used, but I wasn't planning on going into the new areas, just the older ones.

I dunno....maybe it will be a cloudy day and people won't be around. I imagine though, based on where it is located near Kew gardens (for those familiar with the area) that it's a popular place to walk dogs, as it has entrances from all the old streets in the area.

Cactus Flower
May 9th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Sorry about your brother, raingirl :sad: .

And thanks for not being offended by my post.

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry about your brother too raingirl :sorry:
Pine Hills is a very beautiful cemetary, and there are alot of graves with just markers.

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Where is the office for Pine Hills located? I assume they would have a directory as well. Maybe I will do both in one day, as I will be coming from Pickering and can go to pine hills on the way.

Karin
May 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Most cemetaries have plenty of intersecting roads where you can park for a short visit & leave Odin in the vehicle. I have brought first Jesse (years ago) and then Ciara to a local one. Once you locate the site you will probably find a road nearby. I doubt you will be there any length of time for Odin to be uncomfortable.

CyberKitten
May 9th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I am sorry to hear of your brother's untimely death. That is so sad and hard for you to have never known him. I personally see nothing wrong with bringing a dog in a cemetery. There is a cemetry in uptown Saint John, NB and it is also a fav place to walk and ppl walk there all the time with their dogs. The more responsible ones of course do NOT allow them to use the headstones as a place for urination.

happycats
May 10th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Hi raingirl,
Pine Hills Cemetary is located at 625 Birchmount rd (between Kennedy, Birchmount and St. clair, It covers a large area) . thier Phone # is (416)267-8229. I
If your coming from Pickering, I would get off at kingston Rd, then take Kingston to St Clair (right on St. Clair) up to Kennedy (Right on Kennedy) I believe the office is on the Kennedy side.

kandy
May 10th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I've seen dogs in our cemetary quite often, and I've never even thought about whether they were peeing on someone's headstone. I guess I always assumed that their owners would keep them from doing that. Of course, our cemetary is surrounded by acres of sagebrush, so there are lots of places for the dogs to do their business.

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Probably easiest thing to do is just call the office and ask. I have passed a few cemetaries that have signs clearly posted reading that no dogs or joggers are allowed. So better safe than sorry.

jiorji
May 10th, 2005, 10:19 PM
different places have different rules as different provinces have different rules. Best to just call ahead and ask to make sure to avoid paying a fine...if there is such a thing.

I personally wouldn't bring a dog to a cemetary.I feel funny enough walking in them by myself lol

2Cats&AGolden
May 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't think twice about bringing my dog to a cemetary...the respectful thing to do of course is keep him on a very short leash, don't let him pee or walk on any headstones, and don't start a game of ball or frisbee or anything like that. My grandmother got a dog when my grandpa died and she brough him to the cemetary all the time. He was a male collie/shepherd cross, so he was pretty conspicuous! The cemetary was in Scarborough (name escapes me at the moment). I think as long as your dog is well behaved no one would object.

Good luck!

MIA
May 11th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I used to take Malibu to visit my cousin and great aunt, both loved her very much and I would take her right up to the grave stones, she was a very well behaved dog and I didn't let her walk over the other graves... Nobody at the cemetary had a problem with it and in fact most liked it if I bumped into people. The caretaker never said a thing, he would pat her on the head and that was about it.

melanie
May 11th, 2005, 05:48 PM
i dont think it would be upsetting at all for you to take him, clean up after him if he does business but other wise i see no problem. cemtaries are for memory and reminisence and to visit our loved ones, odin has the right to do that too.

i took my charlie to visit my gran once, i miss my gran heaps and the visit occured just after her death, i suppose i just took charlie to see her reaction, you know al lthat stuff you read in the horror novels about dogs, well none of it happened :D .

i have slept on my grans grave, and my dog slept beside the grave, i think it would have greatly pleased my gran to see charlie, she loved animals to pieces and would have truly loved the visit.

and im not being horrid, but realistically if someone gets offended by the presence of a natural dog, well they are not worth bothering with or trying to moddycoddle. i fond nothing offensive about a girl and her dog.its not like your dog would crap everywhere, so bugger everyone and do what you want, you want to see your grandad so go for it.

not to mention some cemetaries are quite scary and often very unsafe places (in certain areas) so a little protection and company is not a big deal.

so go find your family spunky chicken :grouphug: