Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ProHeart 6 heartworm medication WARNING!

Tigsmom
May 9th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I would like to caution anyone planning to use the heartworm medication, ProHeart 6, here in Canada.
I live in Ontario and last year agreed to let my Vet give the ProHeart 6 shot to my 3 dogs for the first time. One of those dogs was my seeing-eye guide dog, Tigger. The second was Mack, my 6 year old Rottie, and third, Rayn, our 1 year old border collie X.

Tigger died of cancer (hemangiosarcoma, a blood cancer) only 5 weeks after receiving the ProHeart 6 injection. Mack died of the identical cancer a few months later. Rayn has vomitted blood off and on for several months and has a poor appetite since the shot.
All 3 dogs were in excellent health, appetite and spirits great, prior to the ProHeart 6 injection.
You can read their stories at www.dogsadversereactions.com - go to the Moxidecin site (ProHeart 6 is moxidection) and check under Memorials.
You will see many, many other dogs who have died from this injection.
ProHeart 6 was totally recalled in the USA in Sept/04. We are attempting to have it recalled here in Canada.
You can check out the VDD (Veterinary Drug Directorate) of Health Canada's warnings on ProHeart 6 on their website. Go to http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/vetdrugs-medsvet/index_e.html and click on "What's new".

I have researched the adverse reactions to ProHeart 6 quite extensively and have found many dogs have developed liver damage or cancer after this injection.
Please use the heartworm medication in monthly pill form, if you are inclined to medicate your dogs at all.
I won't use any heartworm medication now, after researching these toxins. I prefer to test for heartworm twice a year instead.
This is strictly my personal preference and is not intended to advise others on their dogs' heartworm medication routines.

If you live in Canada and have any questions regarding ProHeart 6, please email me at tiggermack@hotmail.com.
Please remember, if you even suspect your dog has suffered an adverse reaction to any medication, you should file an adverse reaction report with the VDD of Health Canada.

levimh
May 9th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Geesh, sounds scary. Thanks for the warning!

Cactus Flower
May 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I am very sorry for what happened to your dogs. Sincere condolences!

Prin
May 9th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry for your loss. I think everyone whould know that pesticides can cause cancer. They alter the DNA which can lead to tumor growth or proliferation of cells that are not normal. This is why I don't give an added flea medication with the heartguard to affect fleas they don't yet have and might never get. I can imagine that a shot good for the whole summer is a massive dose of pesticides and that is too scary to me to even imagine.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

goldenblaze
May 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM
So sorry about your dogs, thanks for telling us as I'm sure it's hard to talk about still.

Prin
So please tell me what is best for heartworm meds?
No need to treat for fleas I agree but I feel heartworm is something we should worry about, there were dogs in my town last years with heartworm

doggy lover
May 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up I also know that a certain heartworm med. should not be given to border collies I believe it is Heartguard as it has a certain drug that border collies can have allergies too.

Prin
May 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I think Hearguard is sufficient. I actually give Heartguard Plus, which treats all intestinal worms because we go to the country and Boo eats animals' feces sometimes and going to the dog park can expose them to other intestinal worms.

I don't know if they make a milder one, but for now, I only treat the things I have no way of predicting and no way of preventing.

doggy lover
May 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I'm not saying heartguard is bad for all dogs, I use to give it to my last dog, but border collies have a few different problems that have to be watched, another is anesthesia they are sensetive to certain kinds as well. I did read that Tigsmom has a border collie cross so maybe this drug has the same effect on them as the heartguard.

Prin
May 9th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I didn't take offense doggylover, I was just answering Goldenblaze's question. Any doggy can be allergic to hearguard, not only to the meds but to the cookie ingredients...

Karin
May 9th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I would like to caution anyone planning to use the heartworm medication, ProHeart 6, here in Canada.
I live in Ontario and last year agreed to let my Vet give the ProHeart 6 shot to my 3 dogs for the first time. One of those dogs was my seeing-eye guide dog, Tigger. The second was Mack, my 6 year old Rottie, and third, Rayn, our 1 year old border collie X.

Tigger died of cancer (hemangiosarcoma, a blood cancer) only 5 weeks after receiving the ProHeart 6 injection. Mack died of the identical cancer a few months later. Rayn has vomitted blood off and on for several months and has a poor appetite since the shot.
All 3 dogs were in excellent health, appetite and spirits great, prior to the ProHeart 6 injection.
You can read their stories at www.dogsadversereactions.com - go to the Moxidecin site (ProHeart 6 is moxidection) and check under Memorials.
You will see many, many other dogs who have died from this injection.
ProHeart 6 was totally recalled in the USA in Sept/04. We are attempting to have it recalled here in Canada.
You can check out the VDD (Veterinary Drug Directorate) of Health Canada's warnings on ProHeart 6 on their website. Go to http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/vetdrugs-medsvet/index_e.html and click on "What's new".

I have researched the adverse reactions to ProHeart 6 quite extensively and have found many dogs have developed liver damage or cancer after this injection.
Please use the heartworm medication in monthly pill form, if you are inclined to medicate your dogs at all.
I won't use any heartworm medication now, after researching these toxins. I prefer to test for heartworm twice a year instead.
This is strictly my personal preference and is not intended to advise others on their dogs' heartworm medication routines.

If you live in Canada and have any questions regarding ProHeart 6, please email me at tiggermack@hotmail.com.
Please remember, if you even suspect your dog has suffered an adverse reaction to any medication, you should file an adverse reaction report with the VDD of Health Canada.

While I share your opinion of Proheart 6, hemangiosarcoma is a very common cancer. Also very rapid. It is also known as the "old, big dog cancer" but can happen at any age in any breed. I lost my first Rotti, "Jesse" to it in 1992 and I'm facing this evil again with Ciara. The only saving grace with this type of cancer is the speed it takes. However, your Tigger passed away from this cancer only 5 weeks after Proheart, the cancer is not THAT fast...it was there before.
I am so sorry for your losses and Thank you for your post. Proheart does need to be removed from the market, I have seen too many heartworm positive dogs & other problems from this drug.