Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sam is sick:( hubby has him to the vet right now

Eleni
May 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM
seems our pup is sick, hes had dirreah for 2 days and is throwing up a bit.

I think what happen is he snagged a chocolate cookie from one of my little ones.

either that or he got something he shouldnt ahve outside when my husband was walking him the other day.

I called the vet this morning and they wanted to see him so hes there right now with Brian.

and we are broke, luckily i talked them into taking a post dated cheque for when Brian gets paid on monday

I feel bad for my lil guy but glad i was able to talk them into taking the post dated cheque otherwise id ahve had to borrow money from my mom or something.

Eleni

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 10:17 AM
and we are broke, luckily i talked them into taking a post dated cheque for when Brian gets paid on monday

I feel bad for my lil guy but glad i was able to talk them into taking the post dated cheque otherwise id ahve had to borrow money from my mom or something.

Eleni
Spoken like a true animal lover :thumbs up :angel: !

I hope al goes well with Sam, and please keep us updated. :grouphug:

Rita
May 9th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I sure hope everything is O.K. with your little Sam :sick:
I will keep my fingers crossed

Princesss04
May 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Oh I am so sorry! Let us know what the vet says. That is a good mom you will do whatever you have to do to make sure your baby is taken care of. :D

Eleni
May 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Ok Sams feeling a litle better.

the vet seems to think its a food sensativity because hes had bouts of dirreah before, never as bad as the last few days but she still seems to think thats the case.

So she gave me a weeks worth of Hill's prescription diet I/D
And Kaobiotic for me to give him for his tummy, and told me to switch his food to something different.

I know chicken is bad but sammys been on nutirence because everytime we tried changing his diet he would get ill, and one of its ingredients is chicken.

so the vet wants us to put him on a food that doesnt have any chicken on it.

so gonna get my mom to take me over to petsmart see what i can find there.

they are also checking his feces for parasites but he was dewormed when he had all his shots and stuff so she diddnt seem to worried that he would be infected with any.

so thats about all there is to it, poor sammy is inflicted with a sensative tummy heh

and a 112$ bill :eek:

however its worth it to ahve a healthy furbaby

Eleni

Princesss04
May 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Eleni I am glad to hear that your furbaby is doing better and this is something they think they can fix and control. You will have to look on the back of the food but I am pretty sure Hills is not a good food. I know that alot of vets recommend it, including mine, but it is not a good food. Glad to hear thing went okay and your baby is home. Keep us posted. :D

SnowDancer
May 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Happy to hear that Sam will be okay. Over the years my Dachshunds were occasionally prescribed Hill's, which is corn based. It was fine for them as their tummies were not sensitive to corn or wheat - heck, they could eat anything. My current dog, the American Eskimo most definitely has a corn - and to some extent wheat sensitivity and his output was considerable. He is now on a corn and wheat free food and wheat free cookies. Of course he does get some of our food, but I can manipulate that to suit his tummy. I have spoken with some people who have Bichons etc. - white fluffy dogs in general - and all seem to have sensitive tummies.

mamielou
May 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Hi!

It is great to know your little one is doing better!!! :thumbs up

About his food, the problem might not be the chicken. I don't know why your vet told you that. It could be chicken, but it could also be any number of others things he doesn't tolerate well. The high levels of additives and preservatives in the food could also be responsible ( a 30 pounds dog fed pellets eats 9 pounds of these a year!!!). Look at the label on his food package and he could be reacting to any of those ingredients.

If changing his food doesn't help him, you might consider switching him to home meals, like many dog owners do. It usually has amazing reasults (never met a dog who didn't do better on homemade). And homemade can be cheaper than most "premium" dog foods and you save in the long run by having healthier dogs and, therefor, escape the vet bills :thumbs up

Bon appétit and hurray on the great news that Sam is better!

Karin
May 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Try lamb, it is highly digestable by dogs.(and humans) You can spoil him further by adding yogurt or cottage cheese to his diet while he recovers...I'm sure he will hate you for that. lol

Eleni
May 9th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Eleni I am glad to hear that your furbaby is doing better and this is something they think they can fix and control. You will have to look on the back of the food but I am pretty sure Hills is not a good food. I know that alot of vets recommend it, including mine, but it is not a good food. Glad to hear thing went okay and your baby is home. Keep us posted. :D

Sam is only on hills for the week to let his tummy settle.
then Ill be putting him on another food, not sure wich yet, something without chicken for starters, and I think it will be trail and error to find what he does well on i suppose
oh and I should clarify the vet said she thinks hes sensative to whatever the proteine source is in his food, wich happens to be chicken.

if he still reacts to food without chicken we will know if its soemthing else I suppose

Eleni

Writing4Fun
May 10th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Hi Eleni. Glad to hear your little guy is feeling better. :) Do you have a Costco membership? I recently found that their brand of dog food is quite good in quality, and they have a lamb formula. It's about $22 for a 40lb bag. :thumbs up Plus, it's apparently a lot tastier than some of the other stuff on the market (my picky little Phoebe seems to like it better than Nutro or Wellness! :queen: ).

Eleni
May 10th, 2005, 08:12 AM
yeah actually we do have a costco membership, Ill head over there and take a look, ive heard alot of good comments about their food

Eleni

happycats
May 10th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Hi Eleni. Glad to hear your little guy is feeling better. :) Do you have a Costco membership? I recently found that their brand of dog food is quite good in quality, and they have a lamb formula. It's about $22 for a 40lb bag. :thumbs up Plus, it's apparently a lot tastier than some of the other stuff on the market (my picky little Phoebe seems to like it better than Nutro or Wellness! :queen: ).

I just switched my cats to Cosco brand (Kirkland) 20lb bag for $9.99!
the cats love it, and my senior guy, who has a very sensitive tummy, is doing great on it!!