Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Slaughtering Cormorants(again)

chico2
May 9th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Last spring the Ministry of Natural Resources(that's a joke :mad: )shot 3.500 Cormorants,because they eat the fish,build large nests in the trees..
According to protesters it was a horrific scene,dead and wounded birds everywhere.
Now,the MONR have decided to shoot another 5,500 Cormorants in different birdsanctuaries,mainly Presqu'lle Prov. park.
It just about makes me cry,the Cormorants are large water-birds,build large nests and eat a lot of fish,so they have to be slaughtered....so what if trees get bare,fishermen run out of fish to catch,birdsanctuaries are for the birds and for us to enjoy...
I suppose,like last year,next in line will be another few thousand Raccoons and foxes....it just makes me really angry and sad,hence the rant :evil:

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Oh, Chico, that's so sad! :sad: I love cormorants. Like all the large water birds, they're so graceful and majestic. :love: But why kill them? Is there an overpopulation problem?? Or is it just because they're getting in man's way again?

chico2
May 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
We actually have a Cormorant-Day,I believe April 14...as they were near extinction because of the use of DDT,but were brought back.
Now,it seems they are destroying the trees and eat too many fish,so SHOOT them,in a habitat that was meant for them.....it's sickening to say the least :evil: 5.500 is a lot of birds and I hope these ministry-people shoot themselves in the foot or worse..
I am sick of this government and their feelings about animals,birds and of course the Pit-Bullies :(