Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! My dining room smells like dog pee!!

Dahlia
May 9th, 2005, 09:25 AM
I have always been really careful to clean up all of Sophie's accidents and deodorize them with Nature's Miracle or vinegar, but she must have peed a few times under the dining room table and I missed it. Now that it's dry and I can't find the spots what do I do to get the smell out? I have a carpet shampooer, is there something I can put in there and cover the whole area? For some dumb reason they put carpet in our dining room when this house was built. She's only 4 mos old now so I don't think there should be any hormones involved.

DogueLover
May 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM
You can use the Nature`s Miracle to get rid of the smell if you can get a black light to find the stain. The spot will show up under the black light and the natures miracle will take out the odor.
Without using it and shampooing the carpet beforehand, the stain will only be masked for a while and your dog will be able to smell it even after the carpet is cleaned, unless you use the Natures Miracle or other pet stain product.
Hope this helps.

Dahlia
May 9th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Just a regular blacklight like you can get at Wal-Mart? Can I just replace my regular light with it and it will show the stain? I'll have to try that tonight. I'm off to get a new bottle of Nature's Miracle and a blacklight.

mona_b
May 9th, 2005, 09:56 AM
What you can do is saturate the whole carpet under the table with the Natures Miracle.Let it sit for a bit.Then grab an old towel or cloth and lightly sponge it up. :)

SnowDancer
May 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I bought a black light at PetSmart a few years ago and it will show up the stains. And yesterday I bought more Nature's Miracle. These bottles had free 12 packs of bath wipes attached so I bought 2 bottles since my dog is white with very long legs and loves mud.

maddoxies
May 10th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Did not know about the black light trick. Thanks. I saw a small one at Dollarmama on the weekend :-)

I put vinegar and water in my carpet cleaner and do the entire room when I get a foster with issues.

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Goldengirl - Did you see the picture of the Dachshund in the muumuu? Why must I see a picture of a Dachshund every time I open a paper or magazine and meet 3 every time I go out. Love fest of course. Your dog being a long hair would of course not "need" the muu muu and mine would have had me committed - can you imagine a dappled Dachshund in a flowered muumuu?