Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Harry Potter - Goblet of Fire

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 08:12 AM
I'm excited/anxious about the next HP movie slated for release this summer. They finally put out a teaser trailer: http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/gobletoffire/index.html

I was so disappointed in the last movie, I'm hoping the new director does a better job with this one. :sad: The trailer had me raising an eyebrow, though (what the heck is with the people "tumbling" into the Great Hall??? And the Beauxbatons delegation dancing their way in??? :confused: ).

As excited as I am about the upcoming movie, I am waaaaayyyyy more excited about the 6th book, to be released in July. :D Anyone else waiting for this one with bated breath?

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Sorry. Not a harry potter fan. I've seen the movies only. First one was the best i think so far.

I'm just glad we live in Canada and have the "correct" movie. My BF's brother has the American version which is the "sorcerers stone" and not the "philosphers stone" I think.

Princesss04
May 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Sorry. Not a harry potter fan. I've seen the movies only. First one was the best i think so far.

I'm just glad we live in Canada and have the "correct" movie. My BF's brother has the American version which is the "sorcerers stone" and not the "philosphers stone" I think.

Raingirl you are right. They came out with the Harrt Potter and the Sorceres Stone. I am not a fan so I can not tell you what it was like. :D

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure why they changed the title for the US. They also changed some of the content, too. I just don't understand it... :confused:

I'm a huge fan of the books, but the movies are sorely lacking. After seeing what Mr. Jackson did with the LOTR series, I'm finding it hard to accept anything less in any other book-to-movie conversions. The first HP movie was the best so far. I'm hoping against hope that they don't butcher the 4th. After watching the trailer and clips, I have a feeling I'm going to be sorely disappointed, though. :sad:

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 12:04 PM
The trailer looked neat...but I'll probably wait till video as usual.

I have so many books right now to read that are being made into movies, I don't know where to start! I promised myself I won't see movies that are books, until I read the book first!! I do make exceptions though...

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM
My husband worked for Electronic Arts when we lived in England - he is a computer animator. He worked on every Harry Potter game they made, including Quidditch.

He got to see and meet almost the whole cast of the movies, coming in and out of the studio doing voice overs for the video games!! Even Stephen Fry (who narrates the games - those who don't know Stephen Fry, he is the same guy who narrates The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Because of Colin's job, I went out and bought all the books and read them all cover to cover! So yeah! I'm excited looking forward to both the film and the book! I've been watching them on TV recently!!!

I think a series of books that get kids all over the world to read - can't be a bad thing, and I think sometimes we forget that they ARE infact kids books. . . .I think the films (keeping that in mind) are amazing!!

Btw. . . the reason for the name change for the film is that JK Rowlings did a survey with an American audience, and no one knew what a 'philiospher' was in magic terms - so they decided to use a word that every knew. . .

I

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 12:44 PM
JDG - that is so cool! Is your husband a fan, too? What an experience that must have been! :cool: Although, I'm not sure what you mean about the "narrator". I don't remember anyone narrating the films...

I agree that any books that get kids to read the way this series does must be good. :thumbs up

The things that bothered me most about the movies are the little changes. For example, why did they make Harry's eyes blue? It's such an important part of the books! And in the first two movies, Dumbledore was perfect. But the new actor playing Dumbledore has him coming across a little flaky, IMO. I know Michael Gambon is a brilliant actor, but I think the directors aren't trying to stay true enough to the books. That's just me, though. I get very attached to literary characters. That's why I'm still undecided about whether or not I'm going to see the Hitchhiker's movie - Zaphod with only one head and two arms?!?! And is it just me, or is he speaking with a southern US accent?? :eek:

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah, my husband likes Harry Potter, but he is thankful he isn't still working on it. (he worked on HP games for more than 4 years)

He is now working for UbiSoft in Montreal - working on the new Splinter Cell game - which is much more up his alley. . . much more 'Manly' I guess.

haha. . W4F I made an error and wrote 'films' instead of 'games' - my bad!! Stephen Fry narrates the VIDEO GAMES of Harry Potter, not the films. . . (Most people have heard Stephen Fry's voice, but don't recognise him in the flesh :p )

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Ohhh. I love the splinter cell games! I finished all three (and my BF hasn't even finished the first!). I don't know any other girls who have even played, let alone finished the games!

tell you husband this for me though! GET RID OF THE NEW IR/HEAT VIEW THAT THEY CHANGED ON THE LAST GAME!! in the last one (# 3-can't remember the name) they changed the view so when he goes to heat vision or IR night vision, a circle comes over the screan, almost like looking threw a marble. It was horrible. The old way from the first games was better. The new way is like having tunnel vision and it makes you dizzy when you look around because the sides are distorted. PLEASE TELL HIM THIS!!

Other than that...the last game rocked.

writing-don't worry. Just sent you a PM about Hitchhikers....he does have the right number of body parts!

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 02:49 PM
haha Raingirl, no problem . . .I emailed him what you said!

If they need testers for the new game, i'll make sure they drop you a line. . . hahah.

The new game (yet to be named) is not as dark in colour as the previous ones and is more story driven. . . or so I've been told. . . (I haven't played any of the games). . . I have to be honest and say I'm more of a Harry Potter Game person, then Splinter Cell. . . .

The closest to Sam Fisher I get is dusting the BIG Maquette Colin had of Sam sitting on his desk!

---------------------------------------

When is the harry potter film release. . . .I've been to opening day matinees for the releases of all 3 films. . .there is actually something magical about hearing the kids in the audience all going 'wooooooooowwww' 'wwwhooooa that was soooooo coooooooool'. . .

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 02:58 PM
OMG! I would love to be a tester!! That would be amazing!! I am a huge game geek. We are constantly buying and selling xbox games. I work from home right now (hard to explain) so I have a lot of time on my hands!

Ahh..Sam Fisher. What a good character. And they chose the best person for his voice! (Michael Ironside right?)

I've never played the Harry Potter games. Although, I'm not sure they are available for xbox.

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Harry Potter's release is November. . . i wonder what day it is though. . . i can't find a date.

Harry and Ron are both sporting longer dos in GoF! haha.

------------------------------

Raingirl, yeah it is Michael Ironside who does Sam Fisher's voice. He is Canadian (born in toronto)

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 06:24 PM
GoF release date is November 18th, according to Yahoo! Yeah, I noticed that their hair is longer - I wonder if that's because they think it makes them look younger? When they started this project, they they were approximately the same age as their characters (give or take a year), but they have to be way older by now.

Raingirl, thanks for the pm. ;) I was starting to worry about poor Zaphod. :D I read some reviews, and apparently the movie has more "slapstick" humour, whereas the books relied more on wit. Guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself, huh? :p

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks W4F. . .I put that date on my 'hello kitty' calendar in the kitchen. . .

Writing4Fun
May 9th, 2005, 07:03 PM
No problem, JDG. ;) I have that date and the July 16th release date of Half Blood Prince on my calendar. Anyone care to wager who the half blood prince is? :D

JDG
May 9th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I have no idea who the half-blood prince is. . .

. . .perhaps a new character. . .she always introduces new characters. . .

. . .what about Malfoy?? (because he hates 'mudbloods' so much) that would be justice on the half-blood part .. .but I wouldn't want him to be prince of anything! :eek:

. . . Maybe its actually half-blood princess. . .and it could be Hermoine. . . :crazy: ;) :crazy:

Writing4Fun
May 10th, 2005, 07:44 AM
LOL! Well, maybe I have too much time on my hands, because I've been going through a bunch of her interviews with a fine-toothed comb, trying to find clues as to who the HBP could be. :crazy:

So far, I know (from quotes direct from JKR) that it's not Harry or Voldemort, it's not Hagrid or Dumbledore, and it's not a new character. At this stage, I don't think she wants to introduce too many new characters (she's trying to make the books shorter, not longer! LOL!).

I'm thinking it's Seamus Finnigan, because she made a point of including that line in the first movie, even though it seems such a trivial point right now. With all they had to cut, she made sure that the very important parts were included in the movies.

Can't be Malfoy - he's pure-blood, no doubt about that (his Dad is a Malfoy, which is one of the oldest wizarding families, and his Mom is related to Sirius, who is also part of one of the oldest wizarding families). And, it's definitely a "prince", so it can't be Hermione. :D

Well, we won't know for certain until mid-July, but it sure is fun speculating! :D

JDG
May 10th, 2005, 08:24 AM
How about Neville Longbottom?? His parents are now 'veggies' in St. Mungos because of the Cruciatus Curse . . perhaps his parents were 'taken care of' because of their Royal position? I don't think I've read anywhere that Neville is a pure-blood, just that his parents and family were well liked, and that they were Aurors - - plus they come from Manchester, that HAS to mean something. . . ;) :crazy: ;) :crazy: