Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gardening tips.

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Since spring has arrived (here in Canada, anyway) I would love to share gardening tips with fellow gardeners out there.

I would like to know what flowers do good in the shade and what ones bloom all season.

Natural pesticides.

How to keep rabbits from eating EVERYTHING!

What flowering plants "don't" rabbits like, (I know foxglove is one).

I would love to learn new tips and gardening ideas from everyone. :D

Catt31
May 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Ditto!! Since we just bought this house in Feb. I have NO idea what is going to come up, if anything!! There are tulips and something else along the side of the house (faces West), an empty bed on the left front, then some low fern type stuff on the right side. The front of our house faces North.

What else can I put there with the fern stuff? I'm going to put low sun wild flowers in the left bed, but won't plant anything till after the long weekend!

We also have this "bush" beside the front door, it's been cut down to about 2 feet high, but nothing is happening with it - I think it's dead. I thought it was a rose bush, but it doesn't have thorns or anything. Should I just dig it up & plant something new there??

I'm new to this gardening stuff - any tips will be greatly appreciated!! I know Anita does lots of gardening - where is she?????

Cinnabear
May 9th, 2005, 09:23 AM
My gardening tip to myself is to buy chicken wire, so my dog doesn't dig and destroy newly planted plants. :D

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I heard Hosta's are a great shade plant, and come back every year.

If you put copper around your planters, you won't get slugs (there is some kind of chemical reaction a slug has to copper) :evil:

Also putting old terra cotta planters (lying on there sides) through your gardens, makes a great home for toads (they eat alot of insects).

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 12:38 PM
The Rona website has a plant finder. YOu plug in what zone you live in, what kind of plant you want (sun/shade) and it tells you what is suitable.

I'll see if I can find the exact page because their website is a little odd.

http://www.rona.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/rona/hort_botanix.jsp?parentAssetId=4&assetId=78&langId=-1

click on plant selector

Princesss04
May 9th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I just started doing my flower beds Saturday! Still have alot to go. Chico where are you! She has pretty flowers and a wonderful back yard! :D

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Raingirl that site is brilliant :D
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but what zone am I :o ?

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I can help with plants, but need more info. Flowers that do good in the shade and bloom all summer are typically Impatiens. They do well in partial or full shade, come in tons of colours, single or double flower. But they have no scent.

Most plants will flower all summer, but you need to cut off the old flower heads all the time. THink about it, a plant is flowering to reproduce, if you cut off the flowers, they don't go to seed, and want to flower again. It's a little time cosuming.

What kind of height or width area are you looking for? What is the size of your garden, type of soil? Drainage, what side of the house is it on..all those are factors.

Do you want plants that keep coming back each year so you only plant once, or ones that keep coming back each year?

Personally, this is my ideal garden. Taller plants at the back, bulds or perrenials (i.e. lilies, tulips), a few shrubs to frame windows or build a shape in a garden, then smaller plants like forget me nots or alyssium that come back each year, or vinca, to fill in the rest of the space between tall back plants and shrubs.

To tell what zone you are in, you would need to tell me your city. Or, I think the weather network has a zone map..

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/features/gardening/indexon.htm

click on your city and it will tell you. It will also tell you all kinds of info about your gardening climate.

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Raingirl you really know your stuff! i live in Oshawa (just 25 minutes east of Scarborough) .
Thanks so much for your replies! :D

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Cool. I grew up in Scarberia, so the weather should be similar. East of Toronto tends to be warmer than the west (I'm in Brampton now).

Are you closer to or father from the lake, as the weather will be cooler near the lake in early summer, and warmer near the lake in the fall.

What is the shape of your garden? front or backyard? against a house or by itself? Are you consistent with watering or prefer a low maintenance garden? Are you opposed to plants you need to dig up in the fall (I know some great tropical plants that do well in our summers, you just need to dig them up before the frost, and plant them in a pot indoors for the winter).

I just need this info, and I can tell you exactly what you should plant.

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I don't live that close to the lake.
The garden my hubby just built is up against the house and gets only a little sun, it's about 20 feet long by 3 feet wide on the side of the house. I was going to put impatients in the front row for colour, but wanted some higher (to hide the ugly foundation) perennials in the back row. I love ones that flower all season if possible. And I water every day! (it's my way of de-compressing after work :o )
Oh and I do't want to dig plants up in the fall (no where to put them)
(I lived in Scarborough for many years, and still work here!!)

raingirl
May 9th, 2005, 02:18 PM
What I would probably do is put in a combination of bulb plants and other perrenials that will continuously bloom over the summer. Very few perrenials bloom all summer long straight. Best is to put a variety of plants in that will overlap in their blooming. UNfortunately, a lot of the really nice ones like irises, gladiolas, and lilies are full sun plants.

Somehow I ended up with a blue/purple theme here. I guess those colours do better in the shade?

I would consider planting one of these on either end of the garden, and maybe one in the middle, to even things out... If you have windows to plant under, make it symmetrical to the windows..like, if you have a central single window, plant on either side of it, if you have three windows, plant one under each...just balance it so it matches.

Astilbo´des Tabularis
Perrenial
http://www.hollandnurserynews.com/upload/Jpeg/med_astilboides_tabularis.jpg

80cm-1.3m tall
1.2m wide
Blooms in July to August

Superb perennial with shield-shaped leaves, ideal for shade or partial shade gardens. Requires cool, compost-rich soil. Soil must not dry out. Panicles of tiny white flowers in July.

in between you can try this (below). I'm personally not a fan of gerniums, but this one is nice as it is purple with a black centre. Most geraniums would probably do well, just check the info on the box before you buy them to make sure they are ok in shade/partial shade (as some might be better for full sun). Plant these intermixed with other plants of the same height between the one above.

Armenian Cranesbill (common name)/Geranium psilostemon
Perrenial
http://static.abcaz.com/productimages/188/3497404/crocus-armenian-cranesbill.jpg
75cm tall
60cm wide
Blooms june to september

One of the tallest perennial geraniums. Has big round tufts of flamboyants, fuchsia-pink flowers with black centres. Prefers cool, rich soil. Ideal in groups or in mixed beds.

Here is one you could plant with the geraniums. It will stop as the geraniums start.

Camass Quamash/Camassia cusickii
Perrenial bulb
http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/images/autumn/miscad/camassiaquamash2.jpg
60cm tall
18cm wide
Blooms May-June

Very interesting-looking plant. Has short, pointy leaves, floral spikes in May or June. Sky-blue flowers with prominent yellow stamens. Plant in groups, can be naturalized. Ideal for cut flowers.

Another one to put in between the first one.

Fumewort/Corydalis solida
Perenial bulb
http://selectr.rona.ca/images/produits/large/corydalis_solida.jpg
15cm tall
10-15cm wide
Blooms May

Dwarf plant with delicate-looking deeply divided leaves, like those of bleeding hearts. Little flowers on short spikes are born above the foliage. Protect from winds and cover with snow or lots of mulch for the winter.

Here are some annuals that are taller you could plant as well:

China Aster/Callistephus chinensis
Annual
http://selectr.rona.ca/images/produits/large/callistephus_chinensis.jpg
15-60cm tall
15-30cm wide
Blooms july to September

One of the most diverse annuals. Comes in a great many colours and sizes (dwarf to giant). Blooms can be simple or double and petals can be flat, frilly, curly or spiky. Asters are ideal in containers, in group plantings and they make great cut flowers. Comes in many colours

Farewell To Spring/Godetia grandiflora
Annual
http://www.butchartgardens.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/seedsGodetiaSingleMixedlarge.jpg
20-75cm tall
20cm wide
Blooms June to September

Spectacular bushy annual with abundant blooms, increasingly popular. Funnel-shaped flowers are simple, semi-double or double depending on the cultivar. Hybrids display a wide range of single and two-tone shades. Ideal in flower beds, containers and as cut flowers. 'Satin' is compact (20 cm) with abundant blooms.

This one you could put in the front instead of impatiens. It only blooms in early spring though, and is very invasive. It will keep expanding each year, so you better make sure you have a good barrier between garden and lawn if you plant this. I think it's a beautiful plant though, with glossy green leaves all summer.

Greater Periwinkle/Vinca major
Perrenial
http://www.wildflowers.reach.net/periwinkle.jpg

20-25cm tall
45cm wide
Blooms May-June

Groundcover with semi-woody stems. Bears little blue/purple flowers in the early spring.

Just make sure when you plant that you have tallest in the back, and work down to the front.

here is a website that explains some plants that are rabbit resistant:

http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant2/rabbit/

of the above, geraniums were on the list.

happycats
May 9th, 2005, 02:28 PM
OMG raingirl what beautiful choices!! I am hoping to go to the garden centre this week-end, I have copied your list!
Thank you so much!! I will take pics (if I don't kill them all) and post them if all goes well!