Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

GENTLE LEADER vs. MUZZLE

pollito
May 8th, 2005, 07:27 PM
my dog is used to walking on gentle leader, she doesn't pull as much and I have more control over her, in every situation (picking up something off the ground or tring to pull when she sees a squirle) I just don't know how to deal with it when the muzzle comes into effect, I was trying to come up with something like a gentle leader/muzzle 2 in 1, but I just can't figure out how I am going to deal with this., some suggestions would be appreciated

Cinnabear
May 9th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Wouldn't the leader be a muzzle? Everytime I used it, people always thought that it was a muzzle.

kayla
May 9th, 2005, 12:23 AM
The gentle leader is different from a muzzle because it allows the dog to open its mouth and pant. A dog can play fetch with a gentler leader on. It does look like a muzzle though, I always thought they were until I learned what they were..

Pollito I'm not sure I understand your question, is your dog a bully? You wondering about muzzling it when the new laws come into effect? I'm not exaclty sure how muzzles work never having used one, but I believe it may have the same effect as a gentle leader if the leash is attached to the head and not the neck? Doesn't the gentle leader work because a dog can pull less from it's head? Anyways, not sure if I helped at all. Good luck!

Lise
May 9th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Whenever I used the gentle leader on my dog everyone thought it was a muzzle too,maybe you could get away with just using the gentle leader?Good luck to everyone who is being affected by this unbelievably ignorant law and government.

doggy lover
May 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I don't think I would chance using a gentle leader as a muzzle, I think this law is terrible but I wouldn't want to take the chance of losing my dog over it. What about the muzzles that are like a cage type thing on their face, at least they could open their mouths and pant. I think the ones that keep their mouths closed are going to cause health problems in the summer? Just my two cents.

SarahLynn123
May 9th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I think a mussel that allows the dog to pant is the safest mussel to use. You may want to train your dog with a collar to walk beside you or find another training device that he will walk with. Maybe the harness that attaches at the front so when he pulls he will turn himself around backwards. It works for alot of dogs, and some learn to walk sideways and backwards.

I personally would just take the summer to teach him to not pull.

pollito
May 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM
it's not that she pulls so much, it's just the fact of me having the control over her, she is very good on the leash (except when she sees a squirle, I tried everything, but nothing really worked against our battle with squirles, she doesn't pull towards people or dogs, so it's not a problem)

I think I have to try using the harness that saralynn has suggested or I was thinking maybe I could attach a ring to the basket muzzle, so I would have more control over her head