Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

working in a cattery, disease control

melanie
May 8th, 2005, 06:13 PM
hi guys, well if it doesnt rain it pours alright :D i met a disabled lady who owns a successful cat boarding cattery. she can do most jobs herself but the low down jobs cannot be done. so i was talking to her, and she has asked if i would be able to come in once every two weeks for a few hours to clean the cattery floors and low areas, and do her gardens (see what i mean, its raining work around here now :rolleyes: )

i will spend an hour or two doing the cattery floors and low areas and then 4 hours in the garden reestablishing a native garden for her. she is offering $100cash for the 6hrs, tax free, so of course i had to say yes, only a mug would not say yes to that (and im sure i get to cuddle a kitty or two in the process, now thats not so bad).my work as an environmental consultant is only contract work which is about 3 days per week, so that gives me lots of spare time. so i will definatly take the work.

nowi was wondering what i should do to ensure i dont get or give any disease to the kitties?

i will ensure the bucket of water is changed for each different floor and i will wash hands etc thouroughly. is there anything else i should know? whati s that disease you very rarely get of kittens? how can i avoid that??

im looking foreward to it, i love gardening and especially designing native gardens, so it should be fun.

any advice you have to offer will be greatfully accepted, thanks :D

Karin
May 8th, 2005, 06:39 PM
hi guys, well if it doesnt rain it pours alright :D i met a disabled lady who owns a successful cat boarding cattery. she can do most jobs herself but the low down jobs cannot be done. so i was talking to her, and she has asked if i would be able to come in once every two weeks for a few hours to clean the cattery floors and low areas, and do her gardens (see what i mean, its raining work around here now :rolleyes: )

i will spend an hour or two doing the cattery floors and low areas and then 4 hours in the garden reestablishing a native garden for her. she is offering $100cash for the 6hrs, tax free, so of course i had to say yes, only a mug would not say yes to that (and im sure i get to cuddle a kitty or two in the process, now thats not so bad).my work as an environmental consultant is only contract work which is about 3 days per week, so that gives me lots of spare time. so i will definatly take the work.

nowi was wondering what i should do to ensure i dont get or give any disease to the kitties?

i will ensure the bucket of water is changed for each different floor and i will wash hands etc thouroughly. is there anything else i should know? whati s that disease you very rarely get of kittens? how can i avoid that??

im looking foreward to it, i love gardening and especially designing native gardens, so it should be fun.

any advice you have to offer will be greatfully accepted, thanks :D

Melanie...Thank you for doing this. You do not need to worry about bringing any evils to your new parttime family.
Give us a report after you have been doing this for a month and let us know how many you adopted so far okay?

High fives!

Lissa
May 8th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Hiya,

I worked and still do sometimes at a cattery that breeds Maine Coons.

I never used to be careful about making sure I was 100% clean before and after I worked. But one year, after we had a litter, I got sick and ended up being hospitalized. The doctors speculated that since the kittens hadn't got their shots yet, that I may have picked something up from them - but they also said it would make more sense if the cats/kittens were allowed outside (which they aren't). Since then I make sure to use antibacterial soap before and after work, I also keep a set of clothes only for working at the cattery - since I was working there 5 days a week, I washed my cat clothes twice a week. Working at a cattery made me realize how dirty things can get, very quickly - especially with long-haired cats!
I don't know what kind of litter she uses - but I would make sure to change that often. Before I worked at the cattery, nobody changed the litter, they just topped it up to make it smell fresh. DISGUSTING! Also, if the cats have cat furniture, I would brush it down and use an antibacterial spray on it.

I hope you enjoy working there!

CyberKitten
May 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM
The Siamese Rescue group washes with anti bacterial soup before handing each different cat. I think that's wise advice. Also, at cat shows, you are expected to use anti-bacterial lotion before petting each cat.

melanie
May 10th, 2005, 02:28 AM
well today was my first day there. it was great. i have never really had much to do with cats, so this was a first really (mums got siamese, but they dont go near any one except my mum :D ).

oh they were just beautiful. the lady has several of her own burmese and other ppls burmese whilst they are on holiday, oh it was great fun. yeah sure i had to clean, but i had lots and lots of company for it, the cats just seemed to follow me every where (except one growler, ive named him mr cranky pants) :p . one was even allowed out into the gardens with me which was nice, he was great.

i made sure i changed the water between each cats area, and i used plenty of antibacterial junk too. i just made sure i rinsed my boots before entering the rooms and my hands often of course.

oh and the gardens already look better, smarter one might say :D

so it all went well, thank you for the advice, i just didnt want to infect anyone (not that im infectious or anything, but hey its always a thought these days) :p .

and as for adopting anyone, well lets say i oculd have shoved them all in my backpack before i left oh just so cute and cuddly (except mr cranky pants of course, he can stay where he likes....)

again thanks alot