Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

molting chook..help!!!

BEAR_NZ
May 8th, 2005, 05:09 PM
One of our bantams has recently started molting, and last week i powdered her for lice, just in case. i also treated the other chooks at the same time. This morning i felt really concerned for her, as alot of her feathers have fallen out around her neck, and she is now bald there.She is also bald around her tail area and chest. It looks like some new feathers are forming, but the weather has turned cold and she is really feeling the chill. Does anyone have any advice that they could give me as to how to protect her better and care for her condition in a better way? i am so worried that she will get a chill and die.

melanie
May 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
:D oooohhhh bantums, my absolute favourites (rhode island reds are secound, such tough buggers). oh i miss my bantums, we moved off our farm two years ago to a village and i had to give my girls away to my aunt, although she loves them and cares for them really well, i still miss them to bits, i even cry occassionally. bantums especially make the best companion animals dont you think? my girls loved my dog, they would all cuddle up with my charlie (GSDx) it was just georgous, and charlie liked them as she got to eat their grain and poo :D the perfect symbiotic relationship if you asked my dog :D . and my husband says they have the sweetest little eggs (vegetarian so i dont eat them). certainly very yellow.

i would suggest firstly make sure she is really warm, they are little girls the bantums so warmth will be a concern. apart from mites i cannot honestly think of what else it might be, are you sure its not the other chooks?? is there any ticks in your area or even fleas?? keep an eye on it, keep her warm and lots of fluids, if she wont drink try fruit. and if worse comes to worse try forcing water, just wrap her in a blanket and hold open her beek. good luck with it, i really hope it works out.

ring your vet and have a chat on the phone, i have found most are pretty good like that, will have a chat and not necessarily an appointment, also is there an agricultural ctr or school near you, i have found them to be wonderful with chooks, they helped me with a huge coccidiosis problem i had.

how many girls do you have?? what colors?? i had a white one she was georgous. do you ahve coccidiosis in NZ?? its a horrid bloody disease, jsut horrendous stuff.

now i really miss my chooks, ooowwwww. i even had a cry the other day when i was cleaning out the shed, i was crying holding my chook watering bulbs carrying on that i would be cookless forever, my dear hubby hugged me and promised that one day i will have flocks of chooks, i dream of the day, *sigh, sniff*. they really are such wonderful companion animals and friends........ lucky you :love:

Lise
May 9th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Do not ever force water into a bird's beak it will aspirate it into lungs ,to get liquid you can use the commercial handfeed mix and use a pippette or a syringe,no needle of course.Heat formula to approx 102 degrees to avoid crop stasis.You also try using a bent spoon,the sides kind of squished up so the liquidis funnelled in.If at all possible just keep bird warm and avoid handling since that will just stress her.Molting is normal so if new feathers are growing fine,our gang went through thier molt and a few of ours are still a bit ratty looking!We've got a mixed flock with various cochins,rhode island reds,aracunas,guinea fowl and some farm rescue refugees!!They keep eahother warm,just make sure no one is picking on her since around the neck is a pretty typical place for that.Aren't they fun ?ours all have names thanks to the kids.

melanie
May 10th, 2005, 01:18 AM
thanks for that lisa, yes i forgot to mention with a pipette or similar. dont try and pour a cup down the poor babies gullet, gosh no, sorry i should have been alot clearer. :sorry:

definatly a pipettee or plastic style implement, that is how i fed water to my gals after they had coccidiosis, i think that was the only reason some of them survived, jsut having that fluid before it was too late.

lisa i am very jealous of you, all those wonderful companions, boy it must get noisy round there at times :D . my chooks have also always had names (gertrude, henrietta, henny penny, white chook, black chook and so forth) i miss my girls very much as does charlie dog.

now, bear if your out there , how is the little one coming along?? well we hope, up date us if you get the chance...good luck with it

BEAR_NZ
May 10th, 2005, 01:50 AM
melanie you are such a lovely person, thank you so so much for your posts. We just love our bantams (salty(the one who is not well), rusty, em) and we have two red shavers too (Redt and Rutt). they bring so much joy into our lives and we had tears in our eyes reading your post knowing how much you miss your special babies. Our chooks are so so funny and so cheeky, and as you said they make such great pets and companions. i looked on the web about coccidiosis and it is around here and australia, but touch wood our girls haven't had it. what an awful disease. You will be glad to know that this morning Salty was still with us, and she has new feathers coming, still a way away, but they are coming, so... HANG IN THERE SALTY!!!! we have been feeding them organically, and also adding some maize so that it keeps them warm... and tomorrow, i am going to make them some oatmeal porridge which they just love, and add some safflower oil to it so it will be good for healing and their warmth. I promise to keep you posted on her progress, i cannot wait to wake up in the morning to check on her.... Melanie you are a chook angel, thank you so so much for caring x :angel:

BMDLuver
May 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Just wanted to say I hope Salty is on the mend! Very interesting thread, I had no idea what a chook was until this thread. I've had normal type hens, roosters, ducks and geese but never the smaller one's. Made me miss our farm terribly.

chico2
May 10th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Interesting read :thumbs up I've learned from Mel,that chooks are chickens :D then I read Bantum,thought maybe a big dog,then I read feathers,so NOT a dog :D :D
I would love to see a picture of these chooks....http://bestsmileys.com/animals/3.gif

Prin
May 10th, 2005, 02:24 PM
At least I am not the only one around here without a clue as to what these beasties are... Birds molt, but aside from that never heard of a Bantam or a Chook. Well, we did have Bantam Soccer (older than peewee)... I'd like a pic too. :)

melanie
May 10th, 2005, 05:13 PM
bear nz, thats just lovely. i do love them so much and have always found them the most special of creatures.

its a relief to hear that she is pulling through and that those feathers are coming back, the cold is here and will get worse, so thats a great sign. the oatmela porridge sounds great, its an international chook favourite i think, all my girls loved it. your a great chooky mum, they are in great hands.

when i was a little girl (bout 8yrs) i visited friends on a farm, at 5am i rang my mum and asked if i could bring home a cattle dog and some chooks, in her sleepy daze she agreed, so at 7am we show up with all these animals. well the cattle dog had to go back but she let me keep the chooks, and it started a life time love affair. so they let me keep the chooks, dad built me a top pen for them, chandalieer and all (just like molly from a country practice show :D ) and i got some pink gumboots (wellies) and pink overalls which i wore permanantly. and that was my first ever herietta chook, there have been a few heriettas since then :p i spent every spare moment with those chooks, ah it was beautiful :D (*sigh* so reminisent).

i will try and find a nice pic of white choook and scan it on in the next day or so, may take a day or two but she is sooooo pretty its worth it.

coccidiosis is a grose disease, it is a wasting illness. it is usually found on dirty soils, that is imported fills and flood lands. we lived right in the heart of the flood plain so it was a constant battle, there are several products you can give them to avoid this illness, if in flood areas or dirt soils its advisable. poor darlins bleed to death from inside out, it literally pushed me to the edge of my sanity coping with it, it is jsut heartbreaking. but i did have several survivors that became the strongest chook, nothnig could kill them. in the future i think i will only get rhode island reds, for australian conditions they seem the toughest.

just a thought, i find that talking to old farmers is very useful, find all your local chook breeders, showers or farmers and get health advice off them. i know in the past a few old school tricks have really made a difference to my flocks and their health. those old buggers are jsut a fount of information. and they will know about all the local disease etc.

now give those chooks a pat and a bit of grain for me, best of luck with little salty :thumbs up

BEAR_NZ
May 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
You guys are so cute! Your posts made me laugh!!!. yep, a chook is a chicken or hen, I will take some photos soon and post them here. Salty is still with us and this morning she was pecking out on the lawn. It looks like her feathers are coming through, though it may be some time until she is covered again... just about to make some porridge for them to feed on!!!!stay tuned!and thank you heaps.Melanie, will give Salty a pat for you and was fab advice about consulting the chookie farmers, great idea. Also, you would have looked so cute in your pink gear amongst the chooks at 8 years old!!!

melanie
May 14th, 2005, 07:00 PM
i was waqtching Doctor Harry last night and this exact problem came up. it turned out that it was the other chooks doing it, they were doing the whole pecking orderthing but going too far. the poor chook on tv had all its neck feathers missing and it was red raw and very sore.

dr harry reccomended getting a rooster, this will mean that he dominates in the flock, then the chooks will not try and dominate one and other. he wont hurt the girls in this sort of way.

he also used a spray, it was a purple paint that is used on horses- just describe to any feed wholesaler and they should know. apparently it tastes foul and puts off the girls that are pecking.

and if all else fails he reccomends seperateing the girls (typical girls :rolleyes: ) and letting her recover her feathers then trying to reintroduce.

i thought it was funny that this exact problem came up on dr harry, it may be more common than i thought. good luck :D

Lise
May 15th, 2005, 07:14 AM
A rooster probably will help, I know our rooster George acts like a sort of a cross between a referee and a dictator.Any of the girls start bickering he runs after both of them,he's smaller than some of the flock since we have a mixed flock of bantams and chickens,but he's in charge,so far we've had no problems with feather picking.We did have war with some button quail who can be really horrible to each other and I've found if you only pull the injured bird when you put it back after it's healed the others go after it,if you pull the injured one and a buddy it's less stressful on the bird while it heals and the flock seeems to accept two back without attacks.Personally I've never found anything that will help with feather picking that you just apply to skin,birds don't really smell or taste very well so it's usually a waste of money,one of my greys picks when something stresses him and I tried pretty much every cream ,spray ,etc available and have found you just have to find the cause of the behaviour.

BEAR_NZ
May 15th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Here she is!! her feathers are growing back so well, this photo taken yesterday. Each day more feathers are appearing.Thank you so much for all your good wishes. I told Salty that she had to look pretty in the photo for all you gorgeous souls in Canada! :angel:

chico2
May 15th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Awww,thank you,what a pretty chook :D
Dumb question,are these chooks pets?? Do you keep them for eggs??Or are they destined for the dinner-table :sad:

Prin
May 15th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Are those feet big? Or is it just that our chickens' feet are small? Pretty birdie.

Lise
May 16th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Pretty chook,this is George our bantam cochin rooster.

BEAR_NZ
May 16th, 2005, 02:58 PM
We have 5 chooks in total, 3 bantums (like salty), and 2 red shavers which are much larger. They are free to roam all over our property, and they put themselves to bed in their chook shed, filled with straw, laying boxes and perches. We love them so so much, they are the most wonderful pets. We could never imagine eating them!!! :( Our bantums haven't laid a single egg for months now, but it just doesn't matter... we just love seeing them roam around pecking here and there, and they chase us, greet us when we come home, follow me up to the mail box....sit on our doorstep in the morning waiting for us to come out!!!They are the friendliest creatures!!! :crazy:
All the little black feathers on the chest of Salty are the ones coming through, before, she was bare!! also, all the fluffy feathers are new baby soft ones coming through. Poor Salty was nearly bald all over, thats why we were so concerned. Thought we were going to lose her.

chico2
May 16th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Aww Bears,I am happy to hear that and George is very pretty,strutting his stuff :D
I doubt we will ever move from our house,but if we did,I would have a few"chooks"and they would definetly die of old age..not in any pot!!
OOPS,I just noticed George is not yours,but he sure is beautiful,Lise!

BEAR_NZ
May 16th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Chico I love the chook that you posted earlier!!! he is what i would call a funky chicken!!!!! :D

melanie
May 16th, 2005, 05:05 PM
salty looks georgous, and is definaly posing for us, (both in canada and down here, hey over here, yohoooo, in oz or is that realyl up here to you :p :D )

lise i love gorges feet feathers, tell me do you live in a wet climate? when we were living up north it was a very wet place, having bantums with foot feathers was such a problem, it got to the stage where i would wash everyones feet and blow dry, they all liked it. it was jsut so messy, and really added an exta effort in the hygene stakes, that is why i want rhodes next, no feet feathers. but by the looks of things salty does not have feet feathers, i have been told you can get bantums with no feet feathers, do you know if thats true?? but then again down here in the drought it would not matter much i suppose.

chico, i have never ever met anyone who eats their girls, apparently when they are older they are not so good for eating, well they are tougher anyway (is that what gamey means, i think so perhaps, hey us vegetarians jsut dont know :p )

most ppl let their girls live out their lives, even if they stop laying as has my white chook, my aunt will keep her in the flock forever, weather she lays or not.

even if they wernt laying, i found they were jsut so helpful. they helped with fleas under the house and things like ticks in the lawn, we never had ticks in our lawn when we had the girls and they loved me endlessly, that to memakes them worth their weight in gold..

but they look oh so cute with feet feathers when they waddle throught the yard, oh spunky chickens :D

and yes i concur, i would consider all the chooks here funky chickens (hey bear i use that line often, i wonder if this is something common umong poultry/chook lovers)

Lise
May 17th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I don't find the extra feathers get that much dirtier than the rest of the gang we've got the red chickens who came from a factory farm and thier big chicken feet make more mud inside.As far as eating anybody here we don't eat friends.I think we'd have more vegans if people had to see what they were eating while it was enjoying it's life.