Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pit Bull in Waterloo

Antoni
May 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Hi, one of my friends in Cambridge has pit bull puppies. I've always wanted a pit bull but i live in Waterloo. Somebody told me the pitbull ban is only in Kitchener but in Waterloo you're allowed to have them, but from what i've read, i dont think thats true.

Is there any way to have a pit bull in Waterloo that wasnt born before 1997? Does anybody here have a pit bull in waterloo?

I'm thinking of my options. What could i do? Not register it? Or would it be possible to register it under a different breed?

PLEASE HELP! I love pit bulls, and i think this dog holocaust is out of control. This is no different than Hitler killing off Jews, except its with dogs. Completely "racist" and unbelievable that such a law was passed, i wish i didnt live in this communist city.

mona_b
May 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
The ban is everywhere in Ontario.Even here in Hamilton.It take effect August 29th..The Pits that everyone has now are ok.Any Pit pups born 90 days AFTER the ban will be put down.I suggest your friend get his/her dog spayed.

The ban consists of them being s/n,chipped,licenced and muzzled.

What ever you do,do not lie about the breed when registering(licence) him/her.

How old are the pups?

Also,there will be Pit owners who will also help you out. :)

Antoni
May 8th, 2005, 01:24 PM
^ Kitchener-Waterloo has had a pit bull ban since 1997 i think... If i lived anywhere else right now i wouldnt have a problem :(

I was hoping there would be some pit bull owners from Waterloo here who could give me advice, but i appreciate any help i can get. Why is it so bad to try to register it under a different breed?

Maybe i could have somebody else register him in Cambridge, and then he'll just live with me, if anything would happen i'd say i'm taking care of it for a friend in Cambridge? I dont know if somebody will go for that but right now i'm looking at every option.

I hate this damn city :(

mona_b
May 8th, 2005, 01:38 PM
i think... If i lived anywhere else right now i wouldnt have a problem :(

Actually yes you would....This ban is a very serious ban at the moment.They don't seem to be screwing around with this one...We have many Pit owners on this site.And there have been serious discussions about this ban.This ban is happening not only in Ontario,but Quebec also.So please don't think it's not happening in Cambridge.It's a serious major ban.

Why is it so bad to register it under another breed?Because if anything happens,your dog attacks,and they find out you lied about the breed,guess what,your in deeper trouble.I know people are thinking of doing this,but sorry to say,it's not the right thing....And if you do not obey with the ban,then your dog will be taken away and put down.Would you want this?

twodogsandacat
May 8th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I think he is talking about the restrictions in KW which are more demanding. You need liability insurance and you cannot bring new ones in.

The ban which Ontario will start to enforce on August 29 allows registered dogs to remain with some restrictions. It does not prevent municipalities applying more severe restrictions and in a court case the more restrictive policies apply as stated in the act. In other words you will not be able to bring a pit into KW that wasn't already registered there.

As for calling the dog something else that's fine - until you have to go to court. Wait for the court challenge. The government made enough errors, ignored a coroner’s inquiry, did not study stats, talked up the Winnipeg situation and generally tried to pull the wool over everybody’s eyes. It most likely will be thrown out but Bryant is such an arrogant SOB that it will definitely be appealed. It's a long way from over.

If you get a pit without being willing to live up to the expectations of the law you should in all fairness to the dog seriously consider your choice of dog.

Safyre
May 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Mona - I think you are misunderstanding.
KW has had a breed ban on pits since 1997, therefore, the OP cannot take one of these newly born puppies. It would be against the law in that city.

The comment of " If i lived anywhere else right now i wouldnt have a problem" was probably in regards to... any other city without a ban, she could take one of these puppies in, because the province wide ban has not taken effect.

Everyone knows that if they have a pit after August 29th they are going to have to deal with the restricitions (untill someone gets them to overturn that law).

As for advice to the OP... I have no idea what to say. .. fight the ban with all your might! I'll reasearch online as well to find out if the ban covers Waterloo as well as Kitchener

Safyre
May 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Alright, I researched the Kitchener By-law on dogs ..

530.1.3 Pit Bull dog - defined
"Pit Bull dog" means a dog of any age which can be identified as a dog of one or more of the following breeds or mixed breeds by the Poundkeeper, namely:
(a) Pit Bull Terrier
(b) American Pit Bull Terrier
(c) Pit Bull
(b) Stafford Bull Terrier, except a Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is registered with the American Kennel Club or the Canadian Kennel Club;
(e) American Staffordshire Terrier, except and American Staffordshire Terrier which is registered with the merican Kennel Club or the Canadian Kennel Club. By-law 2002-232 18 December, 2000.

530.1.4 Poundkeeper - defined
For the purpose of this Chapter the Kitchener-Waterloo and North Waterloo Humane Society, including its officers and employess, shall be deemed to be the poundkeeper of the City of Kitchener.

Here is a link for a PDF of the By Law http://code.municipalworld.com/kitchener/530.pdf

Then I researched Waterloo Pit Bull Ban

1.8 “Pit Bull Dog” means a dog of any age which can be identified as a dog of one or more of the following breeds or mixed breeds by the Poundkeeper, namely:
(1) Pit Bull Terrier; or
(2) American Pit Bull Terrier; or
(3) Pit Bull.
A Pit Bull dog does not include a dog that is registered or registrable as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or an American Staffordshire Terrier with the Canadian Kennel Club.

1.11 “Prohibited” dog means:
(1) a Pit Bull dog which is not a restricted dog;
(2) a Pit Bull dog, previously designated as a restricted dog, that is kept or permitted to be kept by its owner in violation of the requirements for such dog; or
(3) a dog, previously designated as a dangerous dog, that is kept or permitted to be kept by its owner in violation of the requirements for such dog.
1.12 “Restricted” dog means:
(1) a dog that is a Pit Bull dog; and
(2) a dog for which the owner has a valid 1996 or 1997 dog license as issued under Sections 2(a) or 3(a) of By-law 91-101, as amended, of the City of Waterloo or the corresponding sections of Chapter 238 (Dogs – Running at Large) of the City of Waterloo Municipal Code.

SECTION 4 RESTRICTED DOGS:
4.0 Where the Poundkeeper designates a dog as a restricted dog, the Poundkeeper shall serve notice upon the owner of such dog requiring the owner, upon receipt of such notice, to comply with the following requirements:
4.1 to obtain, prior to April 1, 1997, a restricted dog license under SECTION 5 provided that the owner has obtained a dog license for the dog at any time in 1996 or 1997. If the Owner has never obtained a dog license for the dog, the owner shall have until February 17th, 1997 to obtain the restricted license
SECTION 5 LICENCES FOR RESTRICTED DOGS:
5.0 Any license previously issued in 1997 under Section 2(a) or 3(a) of By-law 91-101, as amended, of the City of Waterloo or the corresponding sections of Chapter 238 (Dogs – Running at Large) of the City of Waterloo Municipal Code, in respect of a Pit Bull dog shall be deemed to have been cancelled effective as of April 1st, 1997. Where a license is cancelled pursuant to this section, the owner shall be entitled to a credit or refund on any paid-up license fee.

So, sorry, but the ban is in effect for Waterloo as well, seems that Waterloo is a lil more long winded about thier laws. lol
Link for waterloo By Law http://www.city.waterloo.on.ca/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/LIBRARY_BYLAWS_documents/1998_92DDG.pdf

Aside from getting someone else in a different city to register it, with thier name and address, (which we really shouldn't support, but is your choice) I don't see how else to get around it, aside from just ignoring the law.

Antoni
May 8th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the replies! and thanks for clearing that up for mona

So my only option is to ignore the laws and not register the dog? What about taking it to the vet, wouldnt they ask why its not registered, etc.? Or would they call the police that i have a young pit bull, since we cant bring new ones into KW? Sorry i dont know the process of registering a dog, because i never did before

Why wouldnt you support registering it under somebody elses name? It would still be my dog, just on paper it would live in Cambridge. But this is still unlikely, because i dont know if somebody would do this for me, i dont know that many people outside of KW. :(

Man, this really sucks. Why does this city have to be so communist, this dog holocaust is unbelievable. And i'm sure the laws wont change :( Its not fair, Pits are just like any other dog when trained normally. And they're my favorite type of dog, i dont want to settle for something else. No other dog looks as good as a pit bull

My dog will ALWAYS be on a leash and muzzled so i know it wont be able to attack anything. So would it really be that bad registering it as like a boxer-mix or something?

Or whats that canadian kennel thing, because on the laws for waterloo it says there that if an AmStaff is registered or registerable with the canadian kennel they're allowed. And AmStaffs look almost exactly like pit bulls.

Safyre
May 8th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Antoni - Alright, firt of all, I wouldn't suggest that you register the dog under somenoe else name, no one on this website would suggest that to you, however, if you choose to do that, great for you! (legal thing, no one especially admins or moderators are going to support that decision. get it?) I'll PM ya on that.

As for the CKC, Mona is the inhouse expert on that one ;-)

I'll try to explain and if I mis state anything, she'll clear it up for me.
Canadian Kennel Club is where you register a pure breed dog. So, you would have to find out if the parents of this dog were pure bred, and were registered with the CKC. If they have not been registered, then unfortunately, thier off spring cannot be registered.
you cannot take any dog off the street, assume it looks like something and try to register it. CKC Registration shows that the blood lines of your dog are known, well documented. If not explained well enough, let me know :)

I understand wanting to get around the by law by stating, 'hey, this dog is boxer!" but YOU are not the person that gets to determine the dogs breed, the "poundkeeper" determines if it is a restricted breed or not. only way to prove otherwise is by the parents being registered by CKC (see above)

As well, we don't need any more ocnfusion as to which breed is which. Enough people can't pick out a Boxer from a Staffie to save thier damn life ... why confuse the issue any more than it already is?

I understand your frustration, and really wish there was something I could do for you. KW has had its breed ban way too long, people in your city became complacent... they just let it be. There are people fighting the province wide ban, and if they win, hopefully that will get rid of all the cities by laws as well.... but till then... I dunno what to tell you.

Look into the registration... ask your friend in Cambridge if the parents are known, and registered with the CKC, or even the AKC (same idea, US version) ...

Edit : Oh, and sorry for taking over to explain to Mona, hope you didn't feel I spoke out of line

Antoni
May 8th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks safyre you're being VERY helpful

OK... I doubt, actually i'm sure the parents arent registered with the CKC, so thats out of the question.

So basically what i'm seeing from the replies is that my only option is to not register the dog? right?

Hopefully theres a pit owner from KW on this site who hasnt replied yet and could give me some tips

LavenderRott
May 8th, 2005, 06:20 PM
The reason that pit bulls are banned is because irresponsible owners allow them to run loose, don't bother to vet them, don't bother to train them, and don't bother to register them.

Part of being a responsible owner is obeying the law. I am sorry, but I have to wonder if someone who is so willing to break or ignore the law to get a dog, is going to bother to follow leash laws. What about socializing and training. If you have this dog in a town where you are not allowed, how are you possibly going to socialize this pup or take it for a walk for exercise? Lack of both of these can cause you to have a dog that is exactly the type of dog that lawmakers are talking about.

Trying to work around the local laws are going to cause you a major headache if something does happen. Suppose for a minute that YOU allow someone to use your name to keep a banned dog. Let's say that dog bites a child and the police collect up the dog. That person says that it is not their dog but yours and it was only visiting them while you were on vacation. Now the police are knocking on your door and YOU are the one who is facing jail time. Really?

My best advice to you would be to keep looking for a puppy that you can have.

Antoni
May 8th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I'm so willing to go around the law because it's an incredibly stupid and immoral law. It is honestly a holocaust for pitbulls.

I dont care what leash laws are, i'm always going to keep it leashed/muzzled because i dont want it to hurt another dog or person, i have to be extra careful since pits are banned. I think the only way i'd get in trouble for having one would be if it attacked somebody.

I know alot of people with dogs, socializing wont be a problem. And i'm going to take it for walks just like any other dog, why wouldnt I? I dont think everybody i walk by is going to be analyzing what kind of dog i have and then following me home to see where i live

Why should i settle on a different dog? Thats my favorite dog, i've wanted one my whole life. I dont think any other dog looks as good as a pitbull. If they made barbeque illegal because i couple propane tanks exploded, i'd still eat barbeque regardless of the law. So whats your point? That i should just give in, and let the government start controlling everybodies lives?

LavenderRott
May 8th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Maybe I am just looking at this a bit differently than you are. While I have spent countless hours trying to stop the passage of BSL and change the laws that are on the books, I don't think that ignoring the law is the way to go.

It is important to work WITHIN the law to activate change. By showing lawmakers that law abiding citizens are against the laws that are in place and offering ways to change them (ie - viscious dog laws that are NOT breed specific).

Antoni
May 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Thats true... but right now theres nothing I can do about it, and I might aswell get a pitbull before the August 29th start date of the Ontario wide ban. So that way when i move out of this city, i can have the dog legally since i got it before the ban.

LavenderRott
May 8th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I am not so sure that Ontario would allow you to keep a dog that you had before August 29th if you failed to register that dog in the city that you lived in when you got it.

twodogsandacat
May 8th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Antoni.

The law will be challenged and overturned and 100% guaranteed appealed by the AG. If they will appeal a decision against them regarding autistic children there is no doubt they will appeal any loss on this one. Like I said this is far from over. The best we can hope for is a win and a decision that forbids any BSL in Ontario by any municipality.

Until it is safe to do so don't get a pit bull and take it into any city with a ban already in place. The dog will be destroyed if you are caught. Watching it for a friend or not - the law is simple - no unregistered pit bulls.

Wait until you move out of Cambridge and then adopt a pit legally. Sadly the shelters wil be full of them. How long do you plan on staying in the area for?

The pit you adopt will and the adoption will need to fill the following two requirements.

2(b) it is born in Ontario before the end of the 90-day period beginning on the day subsection 1 (14) of the Public Safety Related to Dogs Statute Law Amendment Act, 2005 comes into force.

Transfer of pit bulls
Same
(3) No person who did not own a pit bull on the day subsection 1 (14) of the Public Safety Related to Dogs Statute Law Amendment Act, 2005 comes into force shall acquire more than one pit bull under subsection (1) after that day.

Antoni
May 8th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I think i'm still going to get it unregistered... i'll just register it when they do overturn the law.

The chances of it being taken away without it attacking somebody are pretty low... i mean its not like people stare at every dog that walks by to see if its a pit bull, people arent gunna follow me home to see where the pit bulls going so they can charge me. You know?

twodogsandacat
May 8th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Actually you would be surprised just how much time some idiots have. Check out goodpooch.com (http://goodpooch.com/attackreports.htm).

I have been asked twice in the last month by people if one and then the second time if both of my dogs are pit bulls. One is a Rhodesian mix and that breed is often confused but the second is an English Pointer. If they can't get it right with these two I don't know how you would expect to get away with it with a real pit. All you need is one nosey neighbour.

Your friend needs to get those pups out of Dodge. Never under estimate the willingness of people to 'rat' out somebody else.

Do you plan on leaving Cambridge anytime soon?

Antoni
May 8th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I'm in Waterloo... cambridge is right beside kitchener, if i lived there i'd be able to get the pit bull legally before august 29th

And i dont think i'll be leaving any time soon because i'm going to college here

So you think the laws will be overturned 100%? How long do you think it will take for that to happen, i'm thinking atleast 5 years and i dont want to wait that long :(

Stupid #@&$)@* piece of #@@$#@# city... why do i have to get stuck in one of the only cities in all of Ontario with these dumbass laws. This is making me so angry, the ignorance of people.... its so frusterating

mona_b
May 8th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I'll try to explain and if I mis state anything, she'll clear it up for me.
Canadian Kennel Club is where you register a pure breed dog. So, you would have to find out if the parents of this dog were pure bred, and were registered with the CKC. If they have not been registered, then unfortunately, thier off spring cannot be registered.
you cannot take any dog off the street, assume it looks like something and try to register it. CKC Registration shows that the blood lines of your dog are known, well documented. If not explained well enough, let me know

Well done Safyre.... :thumbs up

Since neither parents are registered with the CKC,then the pups cannot be registered.So it's not that you don't have the option to register it,you can't.Both parents MUST be registered and the pups MUST be registered at birth.The vet doesn't ask questions like whether or not your dog is registered.

Also,thanks for explaining Safyre.It's been a long week and the brain is just not working...OK,I'm having many blonde moments.... :D

Antoni,I really don't think you want to go against the laws.Once the ban takes place here in Ontario,anyone going against the ban will be fined $10.000($60.000 for corporations) or 6 months in jail.In addition to any other penalties, the court will be able to make restitution orders requiring convicted persons to make compensation or restitution to victims.

I have a question.This ban in Waterloo.Are you saying that there are no Pits under the age of 8 there?

Safyre
May 8th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Mona - I figured that you were having a bad day when you read the posts .. thats why i jumped in to explain! I AM blonde, so boy do I understand blonde moments:)

Msging with the OP is private, basically the concern is: when she takes an unregistered dog to the vet, would the vet report her?

I'm sure that everyone on this website can understand wanting to ignore this by law, its stupid, assinine and many other words that i'm not allowed to type :)
The other suggestion for this person would ofcourse be, get a pit bull from a breeder, it can be reigstered, therefore by passing the by law in her city.

KW is one of the areas they have based the province wide ban on, cuz it has 'worked so well in KW'. BLAH!

twodogsandacat
May 8th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Sorry getting Cambridge and Waterloo mixed up.

If you were aware of all the facts presented at the hearings and the mere fact that over the last two years a single breed of dog has killed twice in Canada and Bryant said the breed not an issue. Yes it is unlikely to hold against a court challenge. Then they will appeal and use their A team of lawyers - they will likely still lose as historically breed bans don't work. They pointed to the success of Winnipeg but we all have links and downloaded copies of Winnipeg Sun stories indicating that Rottis and Shepherds are an issue there. Britain is revoking it's breed specific laws for the same reasons. Judges aren't stupid and they deal in fact - the facts don't support it.

The facts support addressing the real issues and Bill 132 just doesn't cut it.

Time frame - I have no idea. I understand your desire for the breed as I have convinced myself they are great dogs due to all the research I have done but trust me KW (Correction should have said Windsor) is killing dogs and they are doing it with extreme prejudice.

I spoke to a guy from Kitchener (Correction Windsor) at a protest in November and his friend lost his dog because he couldn't prove he had insurance - because he couldn't afford it. His friend was pulled over for speeding and the dog was found in the car.

Think long and hard if you want to own a dog and risk losing it simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sorry if that is not the answer you want to hear but it’s dangerous to be a pit in KW.

Cactus Flower
May 8th, 2005, 11:10 PM
its not like people stare at every dog that walks by to see if its a pit bull, people arent gunna follow me home to see where the pit bulls going so they can charge me. You know?

Oh yes indeedy they do, and yes indeedy they will.

People who own pit bulls are already being approached by neighbors, etc. with the comment "isn't that dog illegal?", or "doesn't that dog have to be muzzled?". This is even happening to people who do NOT own pit bulls, but other breeds that people ASSUME are pit bulls.

Also, don't think for a moment that those who enforce these laws won't be looking for people

just

YOU

who are trying to get around them.

The dog will ultimately suffer for the rebellion of its owner.
Please, fight BSL using the avenues that are available to you.

Safyre
May 8th, 2005, 11:11 PM
twodogsandacat - tell us how you really feel :clown:
i love reading your posts...

twodogsandacat
May 8th, 2005, 11:22 PM
twodogsandacat - tell us how you really feel :clown:
i love reading your posts...

Not sure what you mean by that.

mona_b
May 8th, 2005, 11:28 PM
I AM blonde, so boy do I understand blonde moments:)

Thank god I'm not alone...... :D :p

Safyre,I don't think a vet is going to ask if the dog is or isn't registered.I really don't know of any vet who asks that.If the dog is s/n,leashed and muzzled,then a vet can't report anything.The ban has never stated anything about CKC registration.What it does state is that the dog be licenced.

Safyre
May 8th, 2005, 11:28 PM
twocatsandadog - sorry, i was being a bit sarcastic, because you're very strong opinion could be felt in regards to bsl.. hence the 'tell us how you really feel" haha, funny. get it? guess not, no worries, its just me it seems :)
bleh, anyways, i was just meaning You're very opinionated, and intelligent in your posts aginst the BSL. I'm happy to see it, and like reading your posts in regards to the BSL for that reason.

Safyre
May 8th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Mona - Know what? we are using the word registration for two seperate processes :)
The OP started using the word registration to mean liscencing with the city. i continued to use it in that manner, attempting to avoid confusion.
Ofcourse, then there is CKC registration, completely different!

The ban does state the 'licenced' with the city. you cannot licence a pit bull in KW unless it is registered with the CKC.
I'll start using the correct terminology now :) sorry!
And I love your question about whether or not there is pit bulls in KW under 8 years old ... I hope the OP comes back to answer that

twodogsandacat
May 8th, 2005, 11:33 PM
OK fair enough. It's just that you typed "twodogsandacat - tell us how you really feel :clown: "

I wasn't sure if you were calling me a clown or what. Of course I'd have to say there's a better chance of me becoming a professional :clown: than voting for the same :clown: s I voted for last time.

Safyre
May 8th, 2005, 11:39 PM
yeah, used the clown face to show i was joking, rather than the :p face, oh well
I didn't vote.. i'll vote next time :)

twodogsandacat
May 8th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I didn't vote.. i'll vote next time :)

Good to know. Well goodnight, I'm off to Atlanta tomorrow so I'm gonna need a good nights sleep.

mona_b
May 8th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Mona - Know what? we are using the word registration for two seperate processes :)
The OP started using the word registration to mean liscencing with the city. i continued to use it in that manner, attempting to avoid confusion.
Ofcourse, then there is CKC registration, completely different!

LMAO......Man I think I need to go to bed...LOL

Are you serious??...You cannot licence a Pit unless it's CKC registered?.I need to find out more about this one. :confused: .American Pit Bull Terriers are not a recognized breed with CKC.

Antoni
May 9th, 2005, 12:33 AM
^ No, its the AmStaffs that can be registered with the CKC

Yes there are pits in Kitchener under 8 years old, but not alot since they all must be unregistered. I see one around every once in awhile and i know 2 people that own young ones

This really stinks.... My 2nd choice would be a rottweiler, but I really want a pit bull :( :( :(

Safyre
May 9th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Mona - yeah, I realized I needed sleep after getting twodogsandacat confused by trying to be funny.

Let me see if I can explain the Kitchener-Waterloo bylaw, simplified
As of April 1st 1997, all pit bulls in KW had to be liscenced. No new dogs would be allowed to get liscenced after that date, with the exception of: Staffordshire Bull Terriers or American Staffordshire Terriers that are registered, or registrable with the Canadian Kennel Club.
Kitchener by law states that ACK registration also makes that exception.

So, new new pits except for AmStaff's or Staffies that are registered with AKC or CKC.

Make sense? (I mean did I explain well enough. We all know that the law itself doesn't make sense)

Safyre
May 9th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Antoni - Get a rott right now and when the ban falls flat, get the rott a playmate pittie!

sorry, horrible solution, i know.
The only wiggle room i can see in Waterloo's bylaw ... is that Staffordshire Terriers are not specifically mentioned as being banned. It does state (3) Pit Bull. A Pit Bull dog does not include a dog that is registered or registrable as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or an American Staffordshire Terrier with the Canadian Kennel Club.

Staffies are NOT pit bulls ... so they should never be lumped under the 'pit bull' name in that ban ... it'd be a fight though. and you'd have to know that the parents were staffies as opposed to one of the banned breeds.

I'm sleepy... I'm ging to bed before I sound nuts :)

mona_b
May 9th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks Safyre,that made lots of sense.... :thumbs up

Antoni,all I can say is,if you can't have a pit in your city,then don't get one.I know this is the breed you want,but why chance it?If your second choice is a Rottie,then get one.I love GSD's.I have been raised with them and I have raised 3.This is my breed.BUT,if I was living in a city where they were banned,I would not get one.And I would not lie about what breed it was when I licened it.Why,because if he were to get out and attack someone,I would be in alot of trouble.Lets just say this,what if you do get a Pit,and for some reason he gets out and attacks someone(it does happen).They find out it was a Pit.Do you have the $10.000 to pay for the fine?Do you want to spend 6 months in jail?Do you want your dog to be put down?I know this seems like a lot of what if's.But what if's do happen.

Akeeter
May 18th, 2005, 10:28 PM
At the time some councillors went to the Ont. Gov. with the usual tales of blood & violence & general hysteria, to get their own way.

I have a document from a later date, with quotes from the same major movers & shakers behind the ban, that it was just something like political expediency.

* As in: 'some kids where walking behind elderly pedestrians downtown with 'dogs', on leash (not specified as Pittys or anything else) & these kids where 'hurrying up' the old folks.' -No bites, no bloodletting, no growling, no Nothing! Just a bunch of kids acting up. And Pittys were not even mentioned in this political type person's short version of what happened! :yuck:

So there you Go! Just B.S., with no reasoning behind it.

HOWEVER...I would not take chances by getting a Pit Bull in Kitchener/Waterloo. It is not fair to the dog. Why should the dog/puppy be put to sleep over it's owner trying to prove a point?! I'm sure there is a dog out there for you that you will just love. Try the shelters & rescues. It's 'puppy season'.