Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs- Sixth Sense?

Staciewells1
May 8th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Until 6 or months ago, I could count on my hands the number of times Ellie has barked at a person. (I mean she barks with other dogs when they bark first, but that's only polite. And when she knows she's safely in my arms and they can't attack, she'll bark at cats.) Then, a few months ago, we got new neighbors. She hears their car pull into the lot and barks until they close their door. We live in an apartment building with 4 more units (6 total) and anyone else can make any kind of noise and she never says a word. These people are always very nice when we see them. They have a beagle mix that they treat well. (It's not the dog she's barking at. They have a lady who walks the dog on weekends and she likes her.) So my question is why does Ellie single this couple out? Do dogs sense things about people that we don't?

It's not really a big deal- I'm just curious.

LittleLoves
May 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I don't know about dogs having a sixth sense, but cats do for sure.

My grandmother passed away last weekend at the nursing home she lived in for the last year. I was by her side for the 2 1/2 days leading up to her passing, and the resident cats would not leave the room! It was as soon as they told us Nanny would not make it, the cats came into the room and were slinking around the bed. It gave me chills to be quite honest.

Writing4Fun
May 8th, 2005, 10:09 AM
LittleLoves - I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. :grouphug:

Stacie - I believe some dogs do have that sense. Our first dog, Murphy, was the sweetest, friendliest, quietest dog on the face of the planet. Never barked without a good reason - and I mean more than just "Hey! There's a cat!" Yet, once in a while, she'd see someone walking along and just react to them, barking, hackles raised - it was very disturbing, for those who knew her. Mind you, she also hated the sound of diesel engines. She loved the neighbors across the street, but we always knew when they came home, because she'd start pacing and growling at their truck! :p

Our current dog, Phoebe, seems to have inherited that ability. Hubby brought home a few friends from work the other day. Most of them were greeted enthusiatically with wags and kisses. One guy, though, she didn't like at all! She hid behind me, growling, and even after she ventured close enough to sniff, she still would skirt around him with her tail between her legs, watching him out of the corner of her eye. This has happened twice before, and it makes me wonder if it's a good idea to invite these guys back into our house. :eek:

I have a theory as to why Phoebe reacted to these people, though. I don't know if they're rapists or anything like that. I do know, however, that two of these people were heavy drinkers, and we don't have any alcohol in the house at all, so maybe she's reacting to the strange and strong smell of alcohol. The third person might be a drinker or have been doing drugs, I don't know him well enough to say. But he's a teen who has dropped out of school and his brother (hubby's coworker) has been trying to get him "back on track", so I can only guess as to what kind of trouble he's been getting himself into. :(

SnowDancer
May 8th, 2005, 11:18 AM
We rescued a Beagle in 1976. Was very friendly to everyone - until my husband's father came a visit. He was a dog lover - never met a dog who didn't like him. Until he met ours - turns out our dog was terrified of anyone with white or very blonde hair - had to be very pale. He barked, cried, growled - could never go near him. We tested the theory by asking a pale blonde acquaintance to come over - same thing. Now I have been the source of a problem for a previous neighbour. If the dog's owners didn't let the dog out to come and greet me the dog would bark her head off, plus have an "accident" until they did. My husband could come and go and so could dog's own family - but not me - and we had a mutual drive and they had french doors on their deck so dog would sit and wait. So could be fear or wanting to say "hello". Also of course could be something about the people your dog just doesn't trust - my Dachshunds were very astute that way.

Terrie
May 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I strongly believe dogs have six sense. I have a neighbour who's constantly in trouble with the law and not the sharpest knife in the drawer, although he's been sweet as pie to me, my dog Kuma does not like him. He gets to the point where he's almost foaming at the mouth when he growls and barks at him. Dogs and cats I believe sense danger or spiritual things.
They know when an earthquake is about to happen or when a tornado is going to hit.

Littleloves
Sorry for your loss.

Prin
May 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM
My old dobie LOVED everybody. And one day, one of my brothers friends walked in the door and he chased him out barking and snapping. I know for a fact that this character was HORRIBLE. He actually died a few years ago-- gunned down in Montreal in broad daylight. He raped girls etc etc. My hershey KNEW all that by one glance. He did it again for my mom's ex boyfriend. He ended up beating her and she had to run.

I ALWAYS trust my dogs when they tell me someone is a bad person. They may seem nice on the outside but there is something hidden that the dog sees. Dogs are all about intentions and some people, no matter how hard they try to look nice, their intentions are bad. And I never encourage my dogs to like someone they've pointed out either. I don't want to mess with their instincts. ;)