Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tuna question

lilith_rizel
May 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I was cleaning cupboards and found a can of tuna. Gave Morgan a bit mixed in with her dry food, and she loves it. How much is safe to give her each day??

Terrie
May 8th, 2005, 08:38 AM
i'm not sure if Morgan is your kitty or puppy, but I give my dog a can once in awhile, it's great for their coats and loaded in protein.
I wouldn't give a tiny baby a whole can, but a teaspoon once in awhile as a treat. Good for the SOUL. At least that's what Kuma says :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
May 8th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Morgan is a 2 yo cat. She doesn't like treats, except TUNA!!!! :rolleyes:

Shamrock
May 8th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Hi Lillith,
Tuna is something all cats seem to love - but its not really good for them.
If fed too frequently, over time it can deplete their bodies of needed nutrients. Health problems could ensue.
Many people NEVER feed their cats tuna at all - for this reason.

I feed it as a special treat about once a month- the liquid and about one teaspoon of tuna only. They adore it!
I dont think in very light moderation it would hurt them.

But it should be considered a "decadent delight" only and definitely not a part of a regular feeding. ;)

Karin
May 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I am not a big fan of canned tuna but a had about 12 cans left over from the nasty hurricane season. I lived out of a cooler for 2 weeks in September due to loss of power and still could not bring myself to eat any of it. (cold canned soup or beans were better). After the threat of any more storms passed I cleaned out my hurricane survival box...the few park cats here, (feral) had a huge feast. Now they follow me whereever I go.......

...I am now referred to as the "Ms. Piedpipertunagoddess" by my co-workers.

I find no humor in this.

chico2
May 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I ever now and then make a tuna-meal for hubby(I do not like tuna!),my cats knows the can-opener and come running,no matter how quiet I try to be :D they usually get a little bit each,but no more than a teaspoon and only maybe once or twice a month.

CyberKitten
May 8th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I too give YY a tiny bit every now and then - she does love the stuff. I would NEVER feed her pet food tuna however - that is even worse!

BEAR_NZ
May 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM
we give Bella and Muppy some tuna every so often and they just love it. They get this frisky crazed look in their eyes and absolutely devour it.I tend to always add a tiny dropper of safflower oil in with it to mix, as it is full of essential fatty acids, good for their health and coats. The taste of tuna masks the taste of the oil. I could think of many things that would be worse for a cat than tuna, especially if it is treated as a treat... everything in moderation!!!

Princesss04
May 9th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I know my grandma feed this to her cat all the time and when the vet told her it was bad for her she stopped. But the cat would not eat anything. It wanted that tuna. She could not find one thing that the cat would eat so the vet said to feed the tuna, it is better than the cat dying. I mean this cat was loosing weight because it would not eat. Now it eats tuna all the time. :D She said she will never do that again. I am just saying be careful because a cat can get use to eatting it and will not want anything else. :D

Eleni
May 9th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Many people NEVER feed their cats tuna at all - for this reason.

My oldest cat sugar seems to get sick from tuna.

the only "people food" type of things that my cats ever get is some cooked up chicken.

my oldest cat is a bit chunky and really doesnt need too many extra treats on top of her normal diet

Eleni

BEAR_NZ
May 10th, 2005, 01:56 AM
I just picked muppy up from the vet today, as she has just been spayed, and asked the vet about the tuna issue, he said that a little is ok, not to feed it to them all the time, but every so often, no problem. :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Glad to hear the responses. Morgan had maybe 1 teaspoon, plus the some water. I had mixed it with her dry food, and she devoured it. The amount of food she took in 1 day, is what she eats in about 4. I only fed it to her that day, and now it seems like her appitite is alot better. She will finish a bowl of food in 2 days now, so she is eating twice as much. The bowl I have for her holds about 1 cup of her food, so she wasn't eating much before. And it also looks like she has gained a pound or so. I thought that maybe it was her build to be VERY slender, but I am so happy to see that she is gaining weight.

I did take her to a vet in March, and she weighed 8 pounds. The vet didn't say that there was anything wrong with her weight at all, and just said that it was probably just her build....