Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lethargic cat

kayla
May 7th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Ok so I'm kind of dumb when it comes to cats and I was wondering how active are they supposed to be? Momma Cat lies around ALL DAY. I have a little bed for her by a heater which she's in all the time. Occasionally I drag around a string with paper tied to it and she gives it a couple swats but then looses interest really quickly. Is this natural for a cat? I feel like she should be more active. She seems less active now than she was in Montreal too, could she be depressed from the move? Should I be worried about her lethargy or is this normal cat behavior?

Karin
May 8th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Would not hurt to have her checked out by the vet.

glasslass
May 8th, 2005, 05:30 AM
I can't say I have a lot of experience either as my cat was pretty active her entire 15yrs! Although as she got older in the winter, she was content to stay napping on the bed. All cats are different, but if this is unusual for this particular cat, then something may be up. Hopefully, this will bump this back to the top and some of our experts will have suggestions.

Lucky Rescue
May 8th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Cats sleep about 18 hours a day, but when awake should be alert and lively, especially very young ones like yours.

Is her appetite good and litterbox habits o.k.?

I would probably get her checked out too.

kayla
May 8th, 2005, 11:54 PM
So I took her to the vet today and found out she is older than I thought- they placed her around 3-4 years! Makes me wonder how many litters she has had before this one? They are doing some blood work to test her kidney and liver, but since she is eating and using the litter box and she looks healthy they don't think it's anything to worry about. Also it's hard for me to tell what is normal for her since I've only had her for a couple months, and she was raising kittens most of that time, maybe she is just a laid back cat..

She is at the vet overnight and is getting spayed tomorrow. I'm wondering how much that will change her personality too... Wish us luck!

Lucky Rescue
May 9th, 2005, 09:23 AM
IF she is 3 or 4, she could have had 4 or 5 litters and is no doubt depleted and exhausted and that could account for her lethargy.

She is at the vet overnight and is getting spayed tomorrow. I'm wondering how much that will change her personality too

What spaying will do is end the constant heat cycles, and make her so much healthier and happier!!:)

Her personality is not going to change. In fact her true personality will show now that she is not 100% focused on heats, finding a mate, pregnancy and nursing a litter.