Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

One barking Schnauzer

schnauzermom
May 7th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Hi everyone.

I have 2 miniature Schnauzers, one of which is still a puppy. We love her to pieces but wish we could figure out a good way to stop her from barking so much. I know that mini's like to bark and let everyone know it is their territory. However she barks when the wind blows a tree branch or if she sees a shadow. We have tried a gentle leader to stop this, we have tried a citronella collar. We have also tried a collar that zapped her but I could not leave it on her because it is not a humane way to stop her from barking. We praise her a lot when she is outside and she is not barking but it really has not helped much. It was suggested to me by a person who does not have a dog to cut her vocal chords. I cringed when I heard that.

Any suggestions would help. She is an awesome companion and we would not do anything inhumane to her to stop the barking. We know it is a trait of mini's but need some good advice to aleviate some of the annoyance she causes neighbours. These neighbours are good neighbours and did not complain but we can tell her barking is getting on their nerves. We want our entire family to be good neighbours after all!!! :confused: :ca:

wjranch
May 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Here's a link to another thread that addresses this issue. I hope some of the suggestions work for you. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14591
Please don't even consider vocal cord 'alteration'?? It's cruel and how would you feel if your dog couldn't alert you to a REAL danger someday because of it??
Some of the other methods you've already tried aren't really appropriate for a young pup either. Do you have access to a reputable trainer? Ask your vet if they know of any in your area.
Good Luck

Lucky Rescue
May 7th, 2005, 10:08 PM
A Schnauzer who barks a lot? No!!:p

Here's a bunch of links on barking. I hope it will help!

Barking (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/noise.htm)