Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

crude protein/fat/fibre/moisture

raingirl
May 6th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I've been looking at some bulldog specific sites, and a lot don't recommend premium or super premium foods because they have too high protein or too high fat for bulldogs.

Any comments on that? Basically, the lower quality foods have less crude protein and fat, but also more fillers. I've been all over the web looking at premium food sites (wellnes, royal canin, solid gold, eagle pack) and now I don't know what is best for my dog.

Should I just feed less than the recommended amount of a super premium food, and supplement with something low calorie like veggies or brown rice?

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 09:36 PM
It's hard because 23% protein in corn food is not nearly absorbed as much as 23% Meat food. Why do they need less protein? They have more muscle than most doggies, don't they?

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I'm looking and all I have found so far is to leave bulldogs on puppy food for 2 years if you have no trouble with the food, and a teaspoon of yogurt helps digest and corn oil on the food helps their coat. Too much calcium is bad for adults, and cottage cheese is thus not recommended. It makes sense since their bones are not very long...

Go here:
http://thebca.org/basiccare.html

raingirl
May 6th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I think it's just because they are inactive and lazy...so too much protein and fat make them fatter.

However, I have an active bulldog (an active bulldog is one who gets more than 1 hour of exercise a day)..so I dunno.

It's a bulldog only forum (bulldogdomain.com) and I asked why low protein/fat and no responses yet (it's a lot slower than here).

I will let you know what I find out.

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM
LOL a bulldog board slower... LOL I did read something about feeding senior food if your doggy is less active, but I would always go the route of feeding less adult food and being more active.

I looked at that board and if most of the replyers are feeding Royal Canin and they think Eukanuba is a premium food, I don't know how valuable their info will be... JMO

raingirl
May 7th, 2005, 08:59 AM
yeah, I know. I've posted a few times how suprised I was that they consider eukanuba premium. their resoning is that they use ingredients that are more premium than he recommended AAFCO (I think that's it) ones.

I've tried not to get all "know it all" (Odin just started licking my foot!) but I posted a few links explaining how good food is cheaper in the long run.

I don't blame some of them though. Bulldogs are finicky, and if you find your bulldog is doing fine of a less than premium food, no itchies, no wrinkle problems, little farting, etc etc, then it's probably better not to switch as you could open up a whole can of worms!