Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rats!!

Lucky Rescue
May 6th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Instead of further hijacking the other thread, I thought I would post here and link to a site that shows some of the incredible variety rats come in, for those who are interested!:)

Fancy rat varieties (http://www.afrma.org/fancyrm.htm)

Also had to add one of my favorite rattie pics - "Baby Jared". :p

Daisy's Owner
May 6th, 2005, 07:56 PM
That is such a cute little picture.

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Apparently all my rats were "satin" rats... No wonder they were so great!! :)

BMDLuver
May 6th, 2005, 08:04 PM
the pleasure of delivering 4 lab rats while heading through Toronto recently. I held and petted my first hairless rat. It was like she had a peach fuzz all over her. Very interesting. The lady does work with longevity in rats through diet and has some that are 4 years old. All her rats were extremely social and my daughter had a blast petting all of them. I am now a believer that rats would make great pets. Go figure, lol.

babyrocky1
May 6th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Now that is one CUTE rat! I should have dressed up our rats, they clean up nicely LOL I do have pictures of them somewhere though Ill have to dig them up.

Lucky Rescue
May 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Rats make wonderful pets for anyone. In fact, they are highly sociable and are the only rodent pets who actually seek out and enjoy the company of humans. Other rodents may get used to being handled, but rats truly enjoy it and it's very rare for one to bite.

If I weren't stuck with all these stupid cats, I would have more ratties!!

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
You have to get young ones though or maybe older ones from a breeder. The old ones in pet stores haven't been handled enough and can be viscious.

Now that I know there are breeders out there, if I decide to get another rat, I will know where to get it. :)

Lucky Rescue
May 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM
The old ones in pet stores haven't been handled enough and can be viscious.

Actually, I got Alvis from a pet store. He was over 2 years old, and was a "Clearance sale" for 0.99, since he wasn't any use to them anymore.

He spent his life in a bare 10 gal tank on a dark shelf, and was very shy of hands. He never tried to bite although he didn't enjoy being handled. That was okay with me.:)

Shamrock
May 6th, 2005, 09:30 PM
awww... cuter than Stuart Little. :love:

btw.. Lucky, on the topic of rodents.. what is the status of the little mouse in the house? Do you still have the little guy?

CyberKitten
May 6th, 2005, 10:49 PM
OhMiGod, that is SO cute Lucky! How adorable!!!

Lucky Rescue
May 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM
what is the status of the little mouse in the house?

He's still here. :rolleyes: I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to release him. He's getting bigger..I mean, he's still teeny weeny, but not as much..haha!!

Lise
May 7th, 2005, 03:01 PM
This is Ellie,seal point dumbo rat.She stands on top of her house when she wants out,now she does it as soon as I sit down,she's getting me pretty well trained!