Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

food for pregnany cat

april21h1
May 6th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Hi
I have a pregnant cat. I was going to get her spayed but she got outside and got pregnant. She is towards the end of her pregnancy. I feed all my cats the same food. It is for both cat and kittens, I was wondering if it was okay to continue to feed her this or get kitten food.

twinmommy
May 6th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Hi. I believe the correct way is to double the ammount of her food, and I think that kitten food actually has more of the necessary nutrients that she'll then pass on through nursing.

Do you know how many kittens she's having, and have you done this before?

and Welcome, btw!! :)

Karin
May 6th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I would give her kitten chow in any way she will eat it., dry or canned.

Good luck.

april21h1
May 7th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Hi
I called the vet this morning and they told me she needs the kitten chow from now until she have weaned the kittens about 6 weeks.

I dont know how many she is having.

Karin
May 7th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Hi
I called the vet this morning and they told me she needs the kitten chow from now until she have weaned the kittens about 6 weeks.

I dont know how many she is having.

You can have her xrayed anytime after the 45th day of gestation to count how many skulls are seen. This way you know how many to expect. If she is in good health and at the end of her term, I would not put her through the stress.
Also, I would keep her seperate from the rest of the pet household and offer her free choice kitten chow. She will be eating smaller amounts more frequently as the time nears.