Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

One dog has turned against the other after 1 was attacked by 'another' dog

Martha4
May 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM
So pleased to find this site, hope someone can help!
Very briefly:-
We have 3 dogs, old female mixed breed, 4 yr male Dalmation, 6 month puppy mixed breed.
The female has known the 4 yr male since he was a tiny puppy, no problems, devoted to eachother. Both very friendly dogs. Puppy joined us a few months back, lots of playing, all 3 together, romping, chasing, sleeping together, no problems at all.

A month back an agressive mixed Rottweiler type dog and his companion mixed dog got into the gardens and both savagely attacked the 4 yr Dalmation, fortunatey we got them all separated and apart from not too severe cuts and bruises and severe 'stress' and shakes he recovered after about 5 days. Everything was fine until he suddenly a few days later turned on the 6 month puppy, he has never behaved to any dog or person like that. No damage done but we have had to separate them in the house and whenever the 4 yr Dal sees the puppy he goes mad! The puppy and the old female get on great but although we have tried a dozen times to nurture the 4 yr and the puppy together it goes straight into a fight, if he sees the puppy through the glass windows he growls and bares his teeth.
We have tried all kinds of things the vet suggested, showering affection on the 4 yr old and then letting him see us friendly with the puppy but not 'too much', letting the 4 yr old smell the scent from the puppy's sleeping blanket etc.

Naturally right or wrong this appears to be connected timewise with the other dogs attacking the 4 yr old and is just so out of character for the 4 yr old (he is a pure Dalmation ). The puppy is male.

Any ideas?

Beaglemom
May 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Are both of your males neutered? Is your female spayed? It might help in answering your question.

Martha4
May 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Female is spayed, male dogs still 'male', not neutered.

Eleni
May 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Fix both males and it will help your problem, the Dalmation is trying to dominate the pup, im sure others can post more info for you

Eleni

Beaglemom
May 6th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Eleni, I was just about to say the same thing!

It could be coincidence that the Dalmation is now attacking your puppy after being attacked himself. But, I believe that it is most likely a dominance issue. If your dogs were getting along before when the puppy was younger, I don't think another dog attacking him would cause him to turn on one that he was friendly with. That is just my opinion though.

Your puppy is reaching that age where it will be considered a threat to other male dogs and will result in a dog fight, especially if they are unaltered. Unaltered male dogs will usually fight more and are generally more aggressive, especially towards other male dogs.

You have a pack and thus there will be a social hierarchy. Make sure that your dogs see you as alpha.

I believe having your dogs fixed and having them trained will help you establish your role as alpha and lessen the dog fights.

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Also, uncastrated males get way more possessive of the females and if your first two dogs were very close, that could be the issue here. Get the puppy fixed ASAP. Fixing the old guy might not help, but fixing the young one will certainly help, as he will be less dominant and less confrontational with the older one. Getting the older one will reduce the probablility of him being singled out for an attack as well.

What mix is the puppy? How big is he? Does he look anything like a rottie? Sometimes after getting attacked, they get a sort of "search image" for the breed that attacked them.