Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Korean Dog Problem

pitbulliest
May 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Right now, there is just over 200 signatures.
If you haven't signed, please take a few minutes to sign and circulate. Thanks!

Please distribute the below link far and wide.
http://choimimi.com/zboarde/zboard.php?id=sign

The petition is beautifully put together by a KAPS member. In the left side of the petition page, there are links that contain valuable info for those who want to learn more about the dog/cat meat issue. KAPS letter to Korean congressmen and newspaper reporters (‘Dear congressmen and pressmen’) is well worth reading. Please use the link in educating people about the issue, as well as adding your voice to KAPS’ protest against the hygienic control of dog meat.

Dogs brighten our life with their gift of love. It is our turn to help our dogs. Please help organisations who are fighting to get dogs out of the food chain.

Luvmypit
May 6th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks Pittbulliest. I have most definately signed!

Please everyone make that choice and sign this petition.
If Korea can see that the international community fromm Australia to US/Canada is watching it may just make a difference.

kandy
May 6th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I definitely added my signature to that! The pictures on the front page of that site should make any person with half a heart want to protect each and every dog and cat in Korea!

pollito
May 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM
i just hpe everyone on this website sees it

moontamara
May 9th, 2005, 07:52 AM
In my humble (but informed :) ) opinion, it is better for non-Koreans to leave the dog-eating issue alone. By attacking Korea for eating dogs, we're making it a nationalistic issue for many -- and that will just help the tradition continue. Honestly, a lot of young Koreans don't eat dog, and find it offensive. Owning dogs as pets is getting more and more popular here, and that also helps. I guess there is no real harm in adding your name to a petition if that makes you feel better about the issue. I really believe that not making a big deal out of it and just letting the tradition naturally die is the best way.

BTW, don't get me started on Korean nationalism :rolleyes: ... I thought we Canadians were bad!

mona_b
May 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I sighned it...... :thumbs up

Sorry,but I don't agree with your comment Tamara about us non koreans to leave the dog eating issue alone....WE will NEVER leave it alone.

moontamara
May 10th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I sighned it...... :thumbs up

Sorry,but I don't agree with your comment Tamara about us non koreans to leave the dog eating issue alone....WE will NEVER leave it alone.

Even if by not leaving it alone you're adding fuel to the nationalistic fire that supports dog eating?

I don't mind you disagreeing with my opinion, but would like to hear more of a reason as to why you're discounting it.

chico2
May 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Tamara,we've had this discussion before and yes,the idea of having dog-farms simply for the dinnertable make me cringe,as does OUR Seal-slaughter and much of our slaughterhouse practises and many other cruel doings all over the world.
I could never excuse dog/cat eating as anything cultural any more than bull-fighting or killing bears for their paws,so some Chinese man can improve his sexlife.
I have for a long time had an aversion to anything Asian,ever since I saw a documentary on a chinese man laughingly skin a cat alive and throw him into boiling water.
Unclean and cruel practises have brought the bird-flu,not that I want anyone to die.....but..
I've seen pictures of dogs stuffed into small cages at the market,not only in Korea,but most Asian countries,the hopelessness in their eyes...I wish it could be stopped,but I very much doubt it..

happycats
May 10th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I have for a long time had an aversion to anything Asian,ever since I saw a documentary on a chinese man laughingly skin a cat alive and throw him into boiling water.
Unclean and cruel practises have brought the bird-flu,not that I want anyone to die.....but..
I've seen pictures of dogs stuffed into small cages at the market,not only in Korea,but most Asian countries,the hopelessness in their eyes...I wish it could be stopped,but I very much doubt it..

I also have an aversion, as I have seen and been told (by Chineese friends I have known for a very long time).
Like a Rhino's horn (some oriental sex remedy)
Ivory (Oriental art)
Tiger Penis(sex remedy)
sea horses (some pain remedy)
bear gal bladders (pain remedy)
Bear paws(don't know what ermedy)
gorilla paws (don't know what remedy)
Cats and Dogs (food)
and many many more
Alot still believe in old remedy's which require the killing and torture of many of our wild and domesticated animals (some on the endangered lists)And even though the western world has tried to educate about new remedies, and drugs, they still hang on to thier ancient beliefs and remedy's. SIGH :sad:

goldenblaze
May 10th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Very offensive that people are eating dogs and cats :mad:
I signed it, this is just wrong!

moontamara
May 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Tamara,we've had this discussion before and yes,the idea of having dog-farms simply for the dinnertable make me cringe,as does OUR Seal-slaughter and much of our slaughterhouse practises and many other cruel doings all over the world.
I could never excuse dog/cat eating as anything cultural any more than bull-fighting or killing bears for their paws,so some Chinese man can improve his sexlife.

I don't think you understand my position. I'm also very much against it as are many Koreans. Last time it was Chinacorey who was defending it, not me. I've just seen firsthand how Koreans (even those who are against) react to outside nations telling them what they can and can't eat.

chico2
May 11th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Tamara,I understand your position and the fact you are living in Korea and married to a wonderful Korean man....even the fact people are eating,dogs/cats or whatever is edible.Different countries have different evil practises and we cannot save all the animals in the world,but we can at least make our voices heard,be it about the annual Seal-slaughter or the beating of a dog to death to make the meat tender.
Any animal up for slaughter,be it a beautiful Rottie or a pig deserves to be killed humanely,not tortured to death.
It is the total disregard for the feelings of pain in the animal that bothers me the most.
We humans are supposed to have superior intellect to any other animals and have over centuries evolved and learned,we use our intelligence.Old unreasonable beliefs,including torture of animals,belongs in the dark ages,it's time to change,I am hoping the younger generation Asians will see the light.

Princesss04
May 11th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I signed my name! That is awful! :mad:

moontamara
May 11th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Any animal up for slaughter,be it a beautiful Rottie or a pig deserves to be killed humanely,not tortured to death.
It is the total disregard for the feelings of pain in the animal that bothers me the most.

Old unreasonable beliefs,including torture of animals,belongs in the dark ages,it's time to change,I am hoping the younger generation Asians will see the light.

Absolutely Chico2. Absolutely!!! I couldn't agree with you more. The WAY the dogs are being slaughtered is absolutely the worst part, followed closely by the way they are caged prior to death. Dogs (as we all know) are social animals. Seeing them stuck in a tiny cage all alone slowly thumping their tail at me to greet me as I walk by (haven't seen this for a few years -- but the image doesn't go away) was absolutely as horrifying as realizing that one of the meats being sold at the market was gaegogi (dog meat).

I hope that petitions and foreign pressure help but I'm just not convinced that they don't do more harm than good. I also think that there are plenty of other inhumane slaughter practices (even in Canada apparently, as you mentioned) going on all over the world that deserve the same amount of attention as the dog issue does.

Please note that KAPS is a Korean organisation.