Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I hate the Army!!!

lilith_rizel
May 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM
James has to change his job for the Army, because his current job is no longer used. He was supposed to leave in April, but he had gotten and e-mail stating it was cancelled until the 22nd of May. So being Judith is going to be in the hospital, he got another defferment, for the class date to be pushed back atleast 1 month. But they had never notified hem that when the April class date was cancelled, they booked him for 2 different dates (the 6th of may as well and the 22nd) So the deferment is for the 6th of may, and not the 22nd. And so now he has to cancel his leave that was for the 27th, and he has to go to Arizona for 4 months. And the person in charge of the date setting of classes is his Staff SGT, and everyone (including Commander) thinks that she did this on purpose, because she doesn't get along with him or his Platoon SGT......

On top of it all, when I got for OB visits, Judith can't come with, daycare is expensive, I don't have a drivers license (would cost well over $500 to get one here). And what if Judith's Dr. appointments go past 3 pm? I would be stuck at the hospital. It just has me so mad.

Atleast he is supposed to be staying here on Maryland after his classes, due to the Exceptional Family Memeber Policy. The was gauranteed that he would be coming back after his class. Now if that gets all messed up, James said he is going to get out of the military and we are moving to Norway! I feel like doing that now. I am so angered that they have done this. The military is supposed to be all about the family and all, and they do this crap. Yeah right!!!

I am sorry about the long post, I just needed to vent a little. Tried talking to my mom about it and she didn't give any support. Just kept telling me to grow up and get my license! His Commander told us not to get me a license, because it would be easier for James to be kept here, if there was only 1 driver. She just doesn't get it.....

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Grow up and get your license! Just kidding. I don't mean that. I've heard stories about how hard it is to be a military wife. I don't know how you do it. How long does the hubby have left in the army? Or is it a lifetime thing? If you lived closer, I'd give you a ride...

lilith_rizel
May 6th, 2005, 02:21 PM
He has 2 years left, but now they have put into effect this soldier loss thing where, even after his contract is up, the Army can tell him he HAS to stay in. And the job he is going to get stuck in has low # of soldiers, so they are forcing them all to stay in....... So it could be a long time.......

He said that he is going to talk to the Chapplain sometime before he leaves. And he also talked to some of the people he worked with. One of his SGT said that when I go to my OB appointments, he will keep Judith in the his office that day. So that's really nice of him, he also said that there are 120 other soldiers in the company, and atleast one of them would be able to take care of transportation.

CyberKitten
May 6th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I would go nuts in the army with all the rules and regulations. They say they recruit people who are good at following orders - I'd NEVER make it!! I am sooo sorry you have to put up with all that.

Why so much for a driver's lic? Are you counting insurance?

raingirl
May 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Getting a license in Ontario is expensive too, (I've spent over $500 so far and still don't have a full license) so I know what you mean. In ontario it's $100 just to take a computer test to get a lerners permit, then you wait either 8 months (with drivers ed) or 12 months (without drivers ed) to take your test, which I think is $40... and the system is totally screwed and nearly no one passes the first drivers test, so you have to wait and pay another $40. Then you have your final test which is $70 I think. I accidentally let my license expire while I was at UNiversity, so I had to start all the way from the beginning. I still need to take the final test.

I wish you luck and I hope everything works out.

kandy
May 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I have a friend who has never had a driver's license and I honestly don't know how she does it. I would go nuts if I didn't have a license!! I can't believe it's that expensive in Maryland (or Canada for that matter)! In Wyoming they charge $40 for your first test and after that they charge $20 every time you have to renew it (even if you let it expire).

Lillith: I take it that there isn't any kind of public transportation available? Like a bus or something? That is too bad that your husband will have to be gone for so long. My son was thinking of going into the armed forces and then 9/11 happened and I was really worried that he would be sent to war - I would've been a basket case! Then he got offered a football scholarship to go to college (thank god!) and decided to do that instead.

lilith_rizel
May 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Nope, it is just the cost for the drivers ed class to get the permit, the cost of the permit, The cost for behind the wheel classes, the final drivers test, and the cost of the license....... I think the 2 classes are $350 a peice, from what my friend said today.........

lilith_rizel
May 6th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Kandy, with us being only 45 miles from Washington DC, public transportation is expensive. $40 to go 10 miles by cab........ We were at my friend;s house for a while this afternoon, and she said that her and her husband can help out. Her hubby is leaving for the same thing James, only in Aug. but her parents are coming down when he is gone, and they have always said that they will help out if we need them to.....

BMDLuver
May 6th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Confused... why can't the baby come with you for OB appointments? :confused:

lilith_rizel
May 7th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Bethesda (naval hospital) doesn't allow it. Someone else has to be there with you to stay out in the lobby with ALL children...... I think it is pathetic......

glasslass
May 7th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Sounds like the military hasn't changed in all these years since I was a military wife! It blows my mind that Jame's job has been changed without letting him have some choice in which new position he can receive training for. Before we were married, my hubby was receiving draft notices. This was during the Vietnam period. He talked to the Army recruiter who told him that if he was drafted, he would go into the infantry. He said that if he enlisted (2 years longer) and if his test scores were high enough, he could choose what training he would receive. So he enlisted and was able to go into avionics. Later he found out his scores were high enough that he could have gone into avionics even if he had been drafted. In other words, the recruiter lied, or told a half truth, and it took 2 extra years of our lives! It really bothers me that they can extend Jame's enlistment period. I hope the draft isn't next!

lilith_rizel
May 7th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I am just happy that we will atleast get separation pay for this BS. And that people who don't even know me (works in James' office) are offering me help. I am also going to see if my sister Joanie would want to spend the summer here. She gratuates college in June, and she might want to take some time off before trying to get into a law firm. And she does drive too. I am sure James wouldn't mind her using the car.....