Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bug in Eye!

raingirl
May 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM
While out for our walk today, Odin got a bug in his eye! He all of the sudden stopped walking and rubbing his head on the ground. I got down and noticed he wouldn't open his eye. So I opened it, and there was a small beatle in it! Eww.

I was able to get the bug out, and when we got home I washed his eye with a lot of natural tear solution (he has that for his dry eye) and all seems well.

Should I be concerned? Just keep flushing it? call the vet? I know flies can be full of bacteria, and we do have some antibiotic ointment from after his other eye surgery.

kandy
May 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I think that since you got the bug out and rinsed his eye out - it should be fine. I would keep an 'eye' on it though! ;) Since a beetle has a hard shell, it might've scratched his eye but if it isn't bothering him, and doesn't look bad I would think he's probably fine. You might try flushing it a couple more times just to be sure you got everything out and watch for gunk build up. If something is left in there, the eye will try to protect itself by surrounding the offending object with goop (sorry, I don't know the technical term for it). I hope he's okay - Odin is just so adorable!

Cactus Flower
May 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Arrgh! As if Odin didn't have enough problems to deal with lately- and with his eyes, no less!

If it was me, I'd be putting the antibiotic in his eye, just to prevent infection, in case it did get scratched.

Lucky Rescue
May 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
So I opened it, and there was a small beatle in it!

Paul or Ringo?:p J/K!!

I've gotten gnats in my own eyes when in the woods. Very uncomfortable, but no biggie.

Dog Dancer
May 6th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Hey Raingirl, Odin will probably be just fine. When I read your posts it reminds me of when I had my first dog and I think we lived at the vets for the first six months. A few dogs later we're a bit more relaxed! I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't look irritated too much and let it be.

Just curious, on an earlier thread you had said Odin was shaking his head. I had replied that my lab Halo does that periodically. Not lately mind you. Any more of that going on or was it just a passing thing? I was surprised nobody else responded to that - our dogs are special :)

raingirl
May 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I had to go out for a couple of hours this aft, and when I got home, his eye looks fine.

no head shaking since. Just a few times that one week, and that's it. I have since learned it's common in a few breeds like bulldogs and dobermans.

Dog Dancer
May 6th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Good to hear Odin's eye looks okay still.

Also good to hear he's not had any more problems with the head shaking. I have heard about the dobie thing too - apparently it's very common in them and raising some real concerns. Hopefully we're lucky enough it will just be sporadic with our babies. Tks for the reply though I was wondering...