Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another rant... Some people (family)....

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I was set on fostering greyhounds this summer (still am :love: ) and then I heard that my cousin, who had a kid a while ago, my be "getting rid of" her 10 year old pug. They couldn't find anyone to take it so they're "stuck" with him for now. I offered to take him if they have nowhere else to turn-- despite his age, I know people who want a pug really badly. His problem: he pees on the kid's stuff. Only the kid's stuff.

Now I am going to get jerked around. This cousin has thought about getting rid of this doggy a few times in the past 10 years, so I don't know what to think. She is also in Calgary, so there is a transport issue. I really want to foster greyhounds and I don't want my wishy-washy cousin to jeopardize that but I also don't want this pug to be put down if they have no other options. I swear in the end I'll end up living on a farm with dogs everywhere and they'll be my full time job (hopefully I'll have my kennel by then...)

WHY can't people be there for their dogs? :confused: :confused: :confused: I know you all are but you probably also know how it feels to be the only one around who seems to care. This pug needs a caring person to guide him through the last years of his life (he's in really good shape so there may even be like 10 more years...) I have a HUGE family and it never occurred to anyone to offer to take this bugger. I know him, so I can't turn away.

Once you've slept with a pug... ;)

mafiaprincess
May 6th, 2005, 01:00 AM
I so understand.

My roomate bought Cider. IT was my fault that I offhandedly suggested that a dog might help her depression. I wanted to check out local breeders of varying breeds, she wanted to gjust go coo at the puppies at Petland. She bought Cider without thinking too much about the consequences.

3 days later I was the one taking her on my Xmas vacation.. hould have been my magic hint. If I hadn't taken Cider home, she was going to go to the SPCA that only had a 72 hour holding policy.. Only now that I've been home for a week does it kick in how mad I am that she bought a dog and now the dog is mine.

I love Cider to bits, we even start advanced classes tomorrow- just it has kicked in the level of screw up this actually is. Just to purchase a little life and then potentially discard it. Thankfully my boyfriend is the perfect puppy daddy, and we both love her to pieces..

Just I understand the wanting to help, and the anger of wishywashyness.. I was almost afraid Cider would go to the SPCA while I was writing exams or something..

glasslass
May 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM
If you get this little guy, I hope he pees on your cousin's things before he leaves! Grrrrrr!

chico2
May 6th, 2005, 07:29 AM
For as long as I live,I will never understand some people,where is their heart,or don't they have any??? Prin,how can anyone have a dog for 10yrs and throw him out with the dishwater... :eek:
Mafiaprincess,you did good and I am sure you are awarded every day from the love of this little dog,something your girlfriend probably will never experience...

Beaglemom
May 6th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I also know someone similar to that. I don't understand how people can treat animals like a disposable item. Don't they understand that animals have feelings too? How can you love something one day and turn around and want to get rid of it the next? I'll never understand.

Schwinn
May 6th, 2005, 09:15 AM
This won't be popular, but I have a confession--I was threatening to get rid of my wife's cat because it wouldn't stop peeing in my stuff. Mind you, this was after 3 years of working at it, and talking with vets. Also, I don't really care for the cat. She was taking it to the vet one more time when I called her and left her a message telling her we weren't getting rid of her cat, she loved it too much and I couldn't do that. Little did I know she was in tears at the vets, telling the vet they had to figure out what was wrong, or we would have to get rid of her.

I'll be honest. I'm torn on this. Can I understand someone wanting to "get rid of" a pet that constantly urinates on things? Yes. However, I would expect that as a last resort. Also, I thinking of my own views on my wife's cat which I have had "issues" with (she has two cats, and the other one I quite like, would even say I'm slightly fond of). However, that being said, I'm not sure I could come to the same conclusion if it were my beloved Daisy. But, short of putting a diaper on her, what else could you do? That being said, I would bust my butt to find her the best home I could. Again, though, I don't know if I could find her a good enough home. I think I would change my plans for my bike themed rec-room and make it a doggy heaven.

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's easier to train a doggy not to pee on some people's stuff than a cat. Both are a cry for attention, and maybe if you look at how you've been treating them lately, you'll find the cause.

It's not hard to find the cause of a 10 year old pug's issues. They were a couple before and he was the only kid in the house. Now there's this skinbaby getting all the attention. They had planned to get rid of this guy when the baby was born because the baby sneezed a couple of times around the dog. I guess since they still have him, the baby didn't have allergies... Everything seems to get blamed on this dog. I'm the type of owner who blames it on me. Like my doggy ate the garbage-- why did I leave it out? My doggie sleeps only on my pillow, why haven't I spent enough time with him.

The other thing I am counting on a little bit is that when a dog changes homes, there is an opportunity to change everything. The dog doesn't know what it can get away with and in the beginning he won't test as much, so you have to set the rules and train hard right from day 1.

Jemma is not at all the same dog the lady gave me. She used to ONLY drink water from the fridge. She used to be viscious (she told me never to go to dog parks). And of course she had her estrogen issue. She was so full of energy and never stopped. About a month after we got her, she stopped. She still has a lot of energy, but we satisfy her needs. Any dog I take in is promised to be kept as healthy, happy and loved and part of that is figuring out their troubles and what they really need. I mean I slept on the sofa with Boo last night so he would stop having an anxiety attack, while I had a perfectly good warm bed on the other side of the wall. I do anything for my doggies. Even if they peed on my man's clothes (no kids here). Just another thing to sort out.

Cactus Flower
May 6th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Schwinn- I applaud your honesty. Respect and kudos to you.

Prin, this situation is likely made more emotional by the fact that you're dealing with family.

Sometimes we make the mistake of expecting people to think like we do (ESPECIALLY family), to do what WE would do in a given situation, react the same way WE would, etc. When another life is involved, it makes it all the more baffling to us when they don't.

Is there a pug rescue in her area? Perhaps you could contact them and ask them to foster this poor little pug. Best case scenario is she might be placed with an elderly lady and live in her lap for the rest of their days.

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I'd rather bring him here and foster him myself... ;) I 'd like to choose the new people if they really do decide to cut him loose. (no time pressure from me)

kandy
May 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Prin: I have to say that I also blame myself for any naughty things my dogs have ever done. Obviously this poor pug feels neglected and is taking his frustration out on what he sees as the source!

I think pugs are sooo cute - and the way they snort is adorable!

There is no way that I would give up a dog or any other animal that I had. In fact, my husband and I have been in battle mode over my lizards for quite some time. Our house is small, their cage is huge and hubby has been wanting to get rid of them for some time now. I have asthma and have a hard time cleaning their cage because it'll trigger an attack, so the cage doesn't get cleaned as often as it needs since my son moved out, so the house smells sometimes. I've had the big one for close to 15 years and the other one for about 12 or 13 years. I keep telling him that I can't give them up - I have a responsibility to care for them until they die. They are both getting old and even though I have made them vegetarians, iguanas average life span is only 15 years. Being vegetarians will let them live a little longer, but probably not by much. I will fight to keep them and I will win (as I am sure my hubby realizes - or should by now :D )!!!

Lucky Rescue
May 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Getting a pet is a committment for the life of that animal. Pets aren't items you discard if they have a defect, anymore than you would "get rid of" a family member who may have emotional or behavioral problems.

Inappropriate urination is NOT a reason to dump a 10 year old dog, but many people just have no interest in working with it, and trashing it is much easier.

This problem is much easier to solve with dogs than with cats.

CyberKitten
May 6th, 2005, 02:30 PM
I understand your honesty Schwinn - tho I have never been in a situation where I have had to think sbout it. I would work to do whatever I could to help an animal with behaviour issues but that's just me. I feel if you adopt a pet - you accept them for life. Anything else is unacceptable unless of course there is tragedy of some sort (You die, are incapacitated, that sort of thing) and then I hope one has made plans for the pet. I cannot comprehend how anyone could give up a beloved pet!!

SarahLynn123
May 6th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Wow Prin, that could have been my story! The bf's cousins have a 3 year old pomeranian and now that they have 2 kids they want to get rid of this dog. They dont have time for the poor guy anymore :sad:

chocolatecoffee
May 8th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I don't understand how people can do that, especially to a senior animal. I mean they've been with this dog for ten years and then they just decide to get rid of it because they're too lazy to give it enough attention? Idiots. Anyways, if they decide to get rid of this dog and you need any help, let me know as I'm in the Calgary. This poor dog, at least if they discard of him you'll make sure he has a happy home to carry out his last days.

Prin
May 9th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks so much chocolatecoffee I really appreciate your support. I will probably know by July, as we have a huge family reunion going on and if they come, most likely they will bring the dog... We'll see what happens.