Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

URGENT! Squirrel needs help !

Vas
May 5th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Hi, I was walking in downtown little park in front of tourist information center and I found an agonizing squirrel ... I guess it was hit by a car and is laying on grass but still able to move. There was blood in his mouth and on his front paw. I don't know if somebody can help him, but it's very sad and the little squirrel is suffering. I'm writing from downtown internet cafe so I will not be accessible for some time.

Vas
May 5th, 2005, 06:45 PM
I forgot to say that it's in Montreal... But it seems that squirrel's destiny is already clear...

CyberKitten
May 6th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Can't you take the poor little fellow to a vet?? I once rescued a squirrel from my swimming pool and took him to the vet immediately. He lived to collect more nuts and to land in my pool once more - maybe he was trying to learn to swim?

chico2
May 6th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Being sort of a squirrely mom,I can understand how you feel...from your description it sounds like this little guys fate is sealed :sad:
You could have taken him to HS and they would have ended his suffering..
Most people think of squirrels as pests,I am not one of them,in my view every living thing has a purpose and a right to live.
Thank's for even trying to do something :love:
I've had squirrels missing a leg,missing their tail etc...they are amazingly always managing to adapt,but a car is their worst enemy,they don't stand much of a chance :sad:

Vas
May 6th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I wanted to help this squirrel, but I didn't have the means. I don't have a pet carrier or a box to take the squirrel in and I thought that all vetereniarian offices are already closed at 8 PM! :(
I don't know if the poor animal lived until this morning...

kandy
May 6th, 2005, 11:47 AM
How sad for the poor squirrel.

Our neighborhood has been gaining quite a squirrel population over the past few years. I love the little guys - they are so funny to watch! We have a dead tree in our yard that really needs to be cut down before it falls on my house, but a bunch of squirrels are living in it (I think it's hollow) so I can't cut it down. My husband says that I am going to get into a wreck one of these days because I'll either stop or swerve for a squirrel that's in the road, of course that could also apply to rabbits or anything else that might be in the street. My mom really wants to have some squirrels on her property, so I've been trying to devise a way to trap a few for her.

chico2
May 6th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Vas,more than likely he's dead by now,or a bird,like a crow or hawk has taken him,it's sad,but this is how it goes.
"My"squirrels are smart,they cross on the over-head wires...
Here is a pic of my FiFi,I've been feeding her for 4 yrs now...she's really tame..and cute.

maddoxies
May 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Poor fellow. So many people regard these creatures (and other "urban" wildlife as just nusciences - ok it's 6:20 Fri night and i am still at work, so my brain is turning to mush, can't spell anymore).

I am working in Toronto at the moment and there was an item on the news about a baby raccoon who was trapped straddling two electrical wires for about 3 days. Neighbours called various services, but no one would come out. They finally flagged down a passing hydro truck and the little one was rescued. Nice to see that some people still care about the critters in their neighbourhoods

chico2
May 7th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Goldengirl,that's a heartwarming story...I don't consider any animal a"pest",I could mention a few human pests though :D

2Cats&AGolden
May 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM
This morning I was just about to turn into the parking lot at my work when a mini-van hit a squirrel that darted out onto the road. The van didn't even stop to pull over. The poor little squirrel was about to die but struggled valiantly to to get up. As I watched this attempt my heart flew into my throat. I stopped the car without even looking, grabbed a plastic bag from my backseat (from my stack of poop bags!) and went to pick up the body (sadly now lifeless). As I was doing this, an older man yelled over to me "don't you know that squirrels are just big rats?"

I yelled back even if it had been a rat, I couldn't bear to see it suffer...what I should have said was what I was thinking: "shut up you heartless idiot"...