Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

German Shepherd question

wannapuppy
May 5th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I have a 9 yr. old GSD and while she loves us and is a wonderful dog she is very independent and prefers to be laying nearby to you but not necessarily being pet or loved on. I was wondering if that was normal for the breed or if she just has that type of personality. I love her to death and she's so beautiful, I love her long hair and would love to have another GSD if I could get one that would stick to me and love attention.

happycats
May 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I Love GSD's and I have seen many velcro ones, but I also find them to be a one person dog. (not that they don't love everyone in the family) They just tend to "stick" to the one person.
And even if you get a velcro dog, there is no guarantee he/she will velcro to you (just ask Prin :D ) . Unless your single of course!

Lucky Rescue
May 5th, 2005, 05:25 PM
If you want a velcro dog, get a greyhound!

toni
May 5th, 2005, 07:26 PM
The GSD I have now is like a Velcro dog. She just adores me and has to have her head on me all the time. However she is the first one that has done this. We have had a few over the years and they have all been dh's dog and very independent. I'm so happy mine wants to be with me all the time.
I would say most of them are independent and I just got lucky with this one. When we got her she was 11 weeks and very indifferent. She's 10 months now and what a sweet thing she is. I just love her so much.

MIA
May 6th, 2005, 01:42 PM
My last dog was a GSD and she was pretty independent. I didn't mind much as she would cuddle with me for a while in the evenings, when it came to doing stuff (walk, horses, ball etc) she was in there like a dirty shirt! She loved to be stimulated mentally and I found that we had more quality time doing those sorts of activities.... I miss her much but do enjoy my Pinschers as they are total love muffins.

Cactus Flower
May 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Velcro dog? Get a DANE!

Mine cries if I close the washroom door...... :eek: .

melanie
May 14th, 2005, 07:16 PM
do you mean she likes a bit of privacy?? my 9yo GSD girl is very cuddly, she does trick for cuddles and tricks that end up cuddles. BUt she will have her cuddle, play, run etc and then go and have a bit of whati call private time. she likes to sit and watch the world go by, i dont mind. she will cuddle me when i ask, and we do alot to gether.

but when i am doing something, like right now typing, she is in the lounge room staring out the window, she will stay there for hours if i let her, she wanders in and out of the house and yard at her leisure. often i go and find her for a cuddle. the only time she really hassles me is if she wants soemthing, or if im reading the paper/excersising/writing my work on the floor. then she comes and puts her big butt on whatever im looking at and continues to stare out the window while i pat her :D .

but she is definatly a one woman dog, most definatly. she loves my hubby but when it comes down to it she knows which hand feeds her and respects that hand as top dog. :D where also together all the time and have for years. when i was younger and dating i used to tell her the boyfriends and dates were her uncles, it used to make me laugh. so yes hubby has ben around for a while but we have been together forever, no one can break such a bond. ah the love between a girl and her dog, i think its a true love story of the ages. :love:

i jsut put it down to the girl liking a bit of 'me time' :D :p