Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bird rescue

raingirl
May 5th, 2005, 10:50 AM
After speaking with my mom last night, she indicated she is interested in getting a large bird after she retires in a few years.

Is there such a thing as bird rescue?

She was thinking parrot or cockatoo. She has had all kinds of birds before, but only smaller ones like budgies and canaries. She even taught several budgies to talk!

Any ideas? She would get one now but because they work 12 hours shifts she didn't think it would be fair to the bird.

Princesss04
May 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM
If you go on www.petfinder.com they have a box that you can pull down to mark which animal you want I am pretty sure you can pick bird than go from there. I know our shethers will have birds some time. How did lunch go with your mom Raingirl?

levimh
May 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM
There's lots of bird rescues around. They might be a little harder to find then a dog/cat rescue, but they are around. For starters, you could try calling your local SPCA and see if they have any info. :D

raingirl
May 5th, 2005, 10:55 AM
OMG I never thought to look at petfinder! Duh!

Lunch turned into dinner. It was ok but stressful...and I forgot to tape LOST!!

My mom doesn't have internet right now, but I'm sure she will when she retires! I will have to show her how to use petfinder.

lilith_rizel
May 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
love petfinder. I love to go there and just look........

Princesss04
May 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I was going there to look as well but makes me feel bad and I want all the animals so I try not to as much anymore. :D

goldenblaze
May 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I was going there to look as well but makes me feel bad and I want all the animals so I try not to as much anymore. :D

Me aswell I see the poor things and wish I could have more dogs, I hate to think of them without a family. :sad:

raingirl
May 5th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Well...I just took a peek and there are no birds available in Ontario at all! Closest was Alberta, then BC. Wow...

Writing4Fun
May 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM
No, no. I know there's a bird rescue somewhere in the Toronto area, because my neighbor just took in two large parrots. If she's at the bus stop this afternoon, I'll ask her for the contact info and will get back to you. ;)

levimh
May 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM
What about...

http://www.parrotadoptontario.com/parrot/index.html
http://www.wingsofhopeparrotrescue.ca/

raingirl
May 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Oh..I didn't look at the list of rescues, I just typed in my mom's postal code to see if any birds were available near her and there aren't.

Thanks for the links!

Lucky Rescue
May 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I hope your mom is not in an apartment? These birds screech at a truly deafening level.

They also need nearly constant attention, especially birds like cockatoos. It's like a having a perpetual two year old child who can destroy your house.

Jackie467
May 5th, 2005, 03:04 PM
My aunt had a blue and gold macaw named buddy. It was an unusual bird because it like everyone, normally they will only take to one person. He was the sweetest thing, but LOUD. They had him in an apartment but luckly the neighbors were understanding and they moved soon after getting him. They can be very dangerous, my cousin had a large chunk taken from her hand by him when he was "grumpy". he was house broken so to speak, he would say potty and you would put him in his cage and he would go there. He also talked nonstop. rang like the phone to the point you would try to answer it before you realized. They take a lot of time, and usually figure out how to get out of their cages so they must be padlocked in. Unfortunetly when they bond with someone it is very hard for them if that person dies or dumps them. A large bird is a lifetime (and sometimes they will out live you) commitment. they will become severly depressed if their person leaves them. When my aunt passed away buddy completely stopped talking, started plucking all his feathers out (very common when stressed), and eventually had to be put down because he wasn't eating or drinking. they are wonderful creatures but take A LOT of time and care. I hope your mother can find just the right bird for her. They are truly wonderful companions.

mafiaprincess
May 5th, 2005, 03:09 PM
My roomate was looking at getting a cockatoo.. And I randomly just looked at some of the bird pictures and their info on Petfinder. I found more than half I looked at for cockatoos, parrots and larger birds refused to adopt out to people that hadn't had a large bird previously or currently.

Writing4Fun
May 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM
This is where my neighbor got her birds:
http://www.secondflight.org/

chico2
May 5th, 2005, 03:50 PM
My friend Roger,who already had a green parrot(don't know what kind he is :confused: )picked up a Cockatiel from a friend got the bird and cage for $150,the bird had been picked on by other birds.
Now he's just beautiful and Rogers parrot Bowser treats him like he was his baby..so cute to watch.here they are....except the CT does not have his headfeathers back yet in the picture,now he does :D

levimh
May 5th, 2005, 03:57 PM
That green bird is pretty. I saw that exact same bird in a pet store today and it was $998.99...

chico2
May 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM
That's Bowser,the other bird was the one my friend got for $150 with the cage.He was in such bad shape had almost no feathers,but with the right care,he is now too a beautiful bird.
My friend also has 5 cats :eek: and the birds are never in their cages,but Roger has things hanging from the ceiling all over the kitchen,great for the birds,they do however sleep in their cage at night.Bowser is so happy to have a friend to look after :D here's another pic..

raingirl
May 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
No, my mom doesn't live in an apartment. Just her and my step father in a house.

I know my mom has a lot of experience with birds, but had them all before I was born, except for one budgie we had growing up. Don't know what birds she had though.

She was thinking she would like to get a larger bird that lives longer. Anyone know how long cockatoos live? Or parrots? It's like 20 years right?

kandy
May 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I love the big birds, but they are extremely messy and noisy (at least the one's I've been around). One of my friends raised cockatiels and her birds all had free run of the house - bird poop everywhere! :yuck: Those birds would sit on the table and take bites from her plate, drinks from her pop, etc. They also loved to 'clean' the mascara off her eyelashes! :eek: Birds don't seem to like me too much, but they seem to love my hubby!! Almost every bird he's been around will perch on his shoulder and try to kiss him. One kept biting his earlobe because he wouldn't kiss it back! :D

Lucky Rescue
May 5th, 2005, 05:11 PM
The green bird is an Alexandrine parrot, in beautiful feather!!!!:)

Anyone know how long cockatoos live? Or parrots? It's like 20 years right?

Unfortunately, because of improper care and diet, many parrots in captivity don't live longer than that.

Large parrots should live 50, 60, or even 100 years,(as one captive Amazon did) so anyone who gets one should make provisions in their wills.

mafiaprincess
May 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Depending upon the type of parrot 25-50ish years, I saw a few cases saying 80. Some cockatoos are also 80 year lifespan birds.

Because the big birds live so long, they are the animals most often likely to be rehomed. Sometimes through more than one, if their caretakers die, or can't look after thm anymore.

Lise
May 5th, 2005, 09:48 PM
We have two african greys,as well as cockatiels,lovebirds and a few other softbills.Before you get any large parrat be prepared for not only a long lifespan.Depending on the type some are unbelievably loud and destructive,the cockatoos and the amazons are probably the worst for noise,but nothing beats a macaw for destruction.No you can not keep them in a cage constantly no matter how big or how often you change toys be prepared for expensive parrot toys until you learn how to make your own.The intelligence of these animals is not yet understood,but it has been estimated as equivalent to a twelve year old child.The relationship you have with them is more like a partnership,they form deep attachments and the ones that end up in rescue often have severe issues.My own birds came to me with problems one of my greys was so severely plucked he was starting to mutilate the other usedto throw himself on the floor of his cage and scream if anyone came in the room.It took years to get my guys to almost normal,they are out of cages most of the time,so they chew window frames etc from time to time,I cook for them since food varity is one of the way to aleviate boredom and I have scars from thier hissy fits,birds bite,they are not a domestic animal and do not respond as such.It's true they are the most often rehomed because they are so demanding and recycling them is even harder on them than a dog or cat,so think very carefull before you get one and speak to people who have the type of bird you are interestd in,there are huge differences in care between the different species.I love my Hawkeye and Oscar,but they are a huge commitment.They also have very twisted senses of humour and play headgames with the dogs!

chico2
May 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Raingirl,you say your mom likes to sleep until 1pm and usually behaves very selfishly and irresponsably,maybe she should stick to budgies :D I could be wrong,but large birds can be very high maintenance,with different kind of problems,is she prepared for that?
Not only are they expensive to buy,but toys and things cost more than anything for dogs/cats.
Owning any animal takes a lot of caring,love and money,often we put our animals before ourselves and your mom from your earlier post,does not seem like that kind of a person.
An unhappy beautiful Parrot is a very sad thing to see :eek:

Thank's Lucky for telling me what kind of Parrot Bowser is,he used to have emotional problems,but after he got te other bird,he is as happy as a clam :D
His feathers are incredibly soft,like velvet...

raingirl
May 6th, 2005, 09:30 AM
yeah, my mom isn't all that good around other people, but she is great with birds. Sometimes I think she would be better living with just birds and no humans! She spent more time with our budgie growing up than us! I almost wonder if having a high maintenence bird might "wake her up". Who knows. She would probably be happy with budgies, but they don't live long. Ours only lived about 3 years, and died of a liver tumor.

She sleeps now until 1 only because she works until 2 am. She wants to get a birds when she retires, which means she will probably be back a normal schedule then.

CockatooMomx4
May 29th, 2005, 07:25 PM
This is a reply to the lady that wants to adopt a large bird.
Please be sure to research these birds before getting one. I have rescued 3 Moluccan Cockatoos within the last year, they are very lovable birds but can give a big bite, my husband was biten by one of my guys and stitches were required. Anyone wanting a large breed bird must do research before adopting one, they take a lot of time and could take a lot of blood also.
I will be happy to give you any information you need before deciding on a large billed bird.
Please contact me for any help you might need.

CockatooMomx4
May 29th, 2005, 07:42 PM
attached is a photo of a abused cockatoo I hope it is seen. People who think these birds are great to have do this unthinkable to them and this is where I come in, I take these fellas in and nurse them back to health and give them a happy and healthy life, theydeserve it!!!!!!

Loraxp
May 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Perhaps your mom would do better slowly progressing to a large parrot.

That is what my husband and I decided to do so we adopted a baby quaker parrot from the pet shop in Soo. These are relatively undestructive talkative birds. They can be loud when demanding attention, but are super cuddly and will tollerate more than one person if well socialized. Another species to consider if your mom would like a more quiet bird is a pionus.

Check out www.mylittledarlings.com, I found Darlene to be very plesant and knowledgable. Her info pages are great!! :thumbs up

Karin
May 29th, 2005, 08:39 PM
This is a reply to the lady that wants to adopt a large bird.
Please be sure to research these birds before getting one. I have rescued 3 Moluccan Cockatoos within the last year, they are very lovable birds but can give a big bite, my husband was biten by one of my guys and stitches were required. Anyone wanting a large breed bird must do research before adopting one, they take a lot of time and could take a lot of blood also.
I will be happy to give you any information you need before deciding on a large billed bird.
Please contact me for any help you might need.

Thank you Cockatoomom, I belong to a group of parrot heads that strive to rehome unwanted parrots, and other feathered ones from the southeast states. It's mind boggling how many people "want" birds, but are clueless from the start.

Keep up the good work.

CockatooMomx4
May 29th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Thankyou Karin for your kind words. I will continue to protect these birds from harm. I love my guys they are so precious no matter what they look like or do. Rescues are wonderful to these guys and I hope you also continue to care for these poor birds.
You keep up the good work also Karin.
Protect unwanted Birds.