Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

indoor/outdoor dog

jan3toc
May 4th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Hi everyone! i have a pitbull mix puppy, he's 14 weeks, he's going to puppy kindergarten, and is potty trained. Like every dog, he loves his owner, myself, and i hate leaving him home along when i have to go out, but now he is used to being alone , and ok for some hours. My question is .. i want him learn to stay outside, by himself, how do i start?

He loves playing in our big backyard, but as soon as our door closes and he sees himself alone, he comes to the door. I have two indoor cats, and a 7 year old brother, so i don't think having the dog, his breed, inside the whole day is a good idea. I live in california, (btw i live in california) ...

Prin
May 4th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I would not advise leaving a pitbull outside alone unattended. I wouldn't advise leaving ANY dog outside unattended. You have no idea what people can do. Especially since puppies are not at their strongest yet.

mafiaprincess
May 4th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Get him a crate and leave him inside.

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I commend you on the puppy kindergarten!

Pit bulls are being stolen every day to use in dogfighting and if you don't want that to happen to your puppy, keep him inside where he belongs, especially while he is little.

When he's older and you want to leave him out for a few hours, get a kennel with a top on it and a door you can lock.

I have two indoor cats, and a 7 year old brother, so i don't think having the dog, his breed, inside the whole day is a good idea.

What does that mean - "his breed"?

You can't give any puppy the run of the house. Gate him in a bathroom or laundry room with plenty of chewies or a raw bone.

mona_b
May 4th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I definately agree with Prin....This pup should not be left outside alone.Especially at this age...People have no problems stealing pups from backyards,unfortunately even when people are at home.Your pup would be MUCH safer indoors,even when you are not at home.I personally would never leave my dog outside while no one is home.It has nothing to do with what neighbours would do.We have amazing neighbours.I just know that he is better off in the house lounging around.... :)

jan3toc
May 5th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Thanks everyone, i hadn't even thought about someone stealing him. Right now when i have to leave to work or school, he stays in the laundry room or my room, with plenty of food, water, and chew toys, over all he is well behaved when left alone. Thanks for the advice...