Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Boarding For Obedience

Sneaky2006
May 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I was looking at local places to get Yukon in obedience classes and I came across a website for a place that does classes and also 10 and 20 day courses. This seems like doggy bootcamp... from what I get, the dogs would stay there overnight??? It says "we train your dog, then we train you". I never knew anything like this existed... any thoughts??

BMDLuver
May 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM
An excellent trainer in this area that does a doggy boot camp. Your dog goes for up to 6 weeks training then when the dog has completed the course, he trains you with the dog. I have met 3 dogs he has trained and was incredibly impressed as all 3 dogs were not easy to train to say the least and all have wonderful manners now. A lot of people go to him when they are at the final straw with training and he's helped many people to keep there dogs. I think it's a good thing if you have recommendations for a trainer before trying it as I've seen some other places that I would have gleefully wrapped a chain around the trainers neck and choked him to death if it didn't mean my kids would be motherless until married! :o

SnowDancer
May 4th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I know some people who sent their Sheepdog away to a training camp for 2 weeks. Biggest regret of their lives. Dog came home so obedient that he was totally unresponsive to all affection for the 10 years that he lived. He was quite the lively little dog before they sent him away - wagging his tail all the time, happy. Never saw that dog's tail wag again. Obviously not all training camps are like the one they used - this must have been the equivalent of a disciplinary military school for juvenile delinquent teenagers. I shudder to think of the techniques they used.

Prin
May 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM
We touched on this yesterday when we were talking about a bad puppy seller: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14738 Frankly I don't like it. You have NO IDEA what they will do to your dog. Jemma is so trained (previous owner paid for intensive training) and she gets submissive and pees whenever I try to teach her something new. I mean she is crazy trained. She can stay for 45 minutes. You just click her choker and she becomes "robo-dog". I'm the type of person where I love my doggies to be who they are and to let their personalities shine though. With over training, the personality disappears. My old dobie was overtrained for dog shows and it took us almost 3 years to get to know him.

I'd much rather be a part of the process. I'd rather they tell me what to do and I do it. What works for some people may not work for others on the same dog. Nobody's body language is the same and no one's tone of voice is the same either.

Beaglemom
May 4th, 2005, 04:01 PM
My parents' neighbour had a Dobie that went to a trainer for her training. She had to be the best behaved dog I have ever met! But, I have also met a Collie who apparently went to a trainer as well, but when we asked her to do something she would just look at us and wouldn't really listen. She wasn't very playful either, maybe it was just her?

I think that being part of the process is part of the fun in training. It also increases the bond between the trainer/handler and the dog and that will last a lifetime. I took my dog to obedience classes and anybody that knows us will tell you that I can do anything with her. She listens to me better than anyone else! The bond that we share is one that I have never experienced with any of the other dogs that I have owned.

Sneaky2006
May 4th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the input!

Anyone can 'say' they're a good trainer and always be the complete opposite but this is from their site...

The type of training practiced by Spring Canine Academy is called positive reinforcement training. These are the same scientifically sound methods that are used for dolphins, lions, tigers, etc. This is a very dog and people friendly type of training that makes dog training what it should be - FUN!
No Use of Force
No Harsh Corrections
No Physical Punishment
No Choke Collars

This isn't 3 months (as the other thread mentioned) it's 10 or 20 days with classes together after that. Also from their site...

In Board Programs

First we train your dog, then we train you.

10 Day in Board

10 day stay at our facility

7 weeks of follow up lessons

OR

20 Day in Board

20 day stay at our facility

15 weeks of follow up lessons

Sound ok?

Either way... I think this is the place I'd like to take Yukon to for regular obedience classes. The only other ones I've been finding are at pet stores...

LavenderRott
May 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I would never send a dog of mine away to be trained. While teaching your dog is the main goal of going to classes, the bond that you and your dog form is equally - if not more important.

I also don't believe everything I see online. I have heard many instances of pictures and even entire web pages being "borrowed" and used by someone else. Also, you can tell anyone anything you like online and who is to know that you are not being honest.

While I am sure there are some honest people out there who run these type of kennels, I am also sure that there are many more who are less then honest about their methods. I have heard many horror stories of dogs who have been trained with electronic collars or have "disappeared" from such places.

mona_b
May 4th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I would never send a dog of mine away to be trained. While teaching your dog is the main goal of going to classes, the bond that you and your dog form is equally - if not more important.

I have to totaly agree with this..I too would never send my dog away to be trained.

levimh
May 4th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't send my dog away to get trained for the biggest reason that I found it fun to train my dog. Though it was challenging at times (and still can be) I found it to be really fun and rewarding. After working with them for awhile and to see them actually "get it", it's really cool and exciting to know that you taught them that...atleast that's how I felt. And like LavenderRott said, the bond that you and your dog get is really important. :)

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I would never EVER send my dog away to be trained by strangers. You have absolutely no way of knowing what is being done to them.

This is just my opinion, but someone who is too lazy or has no time to train his own dog shouldn't have a dog.

Sneaky2006
May 4th, 2005, 08:24 PM
So do you guys feel this way about any boarding facility... ones not for training? (re: you don't know what they do to your dog)

Also, how else do I find a reputable trainer to work with? The net is the only place to start that I know of, besides petstores but I don't feel right about getting training from petstores that I don't agree with... asking for references is the only other thing I can think of.

levimh
May 4th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Here's a list of links that offer training in PA: http://www.pa-dir.com/dog-training-0.htm

Prin
May 4th, 2005, 09:22 PM
To be honest, I have yet to find a kennel that I can leave my dogs at with a clear conscience. So many are lacking in one way or another. 4 walks a day is not enough for my dogs. They are with us ALL the time. They play over 2 hours a day.

I want a kennel where the dogs get people attention and surveillance ALL day, and then they go to sleep for 10 hours and wake up and get attention ALL day again. I want a kennel who will maintain MY set feeding schedules and respect my wishes and my dogs' allergies, despite the fact that they may have to pick up more poop. I want a kennel who will not take for granted that my dogs have been abandoned a bunch of times before and don't really understand that this is different. I want a kennel where the staff is devoted to the dogs, and prioritize them, not appearances. I want a kennel where the dogs can be checked on once or twice during the night. I want a kennel that treats the dogs like they are high class kids coming to summer camp. I want a kennel I can trust. I can't find any of this in any kennel (so far) and one day I really hope to open my own. Until then, I think I'm going on road trips.

(sorry if that got to be a rant) :o

100%doglover
May 4th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I would ask your vet, they will likely be able to recommend a trainer. You can also ask around pet stores, maybe rescue groups in your area, anything dog related, they may have some suggestions, then take it from there and check places out before deciding on one.

I'd have to agree, I wouldn't drop off my dog to be trained ever.... You just never know what people may do. Not only that but it's such an important part of bonding with your furry one.

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2005, 11:02 PM
So do you guys feel this way about any boarding facility... ones not for training? (re: you don't know what they do to your dog)

No. A boarding kennel is not trying to accomplish anything with your dog other than to keep it alive and in good condition.;)

A training kennel is being paid for results, and some of them don't care how they get the results.

Lise
May 7th, 2005, 04:58 PM
To let you know not all boarding kennels just want to keep your dogs alive and in good condition while you are gone.Some of are doing it because we love dogs and they are our lives.I've got dogs who have food allergies I feed what the owners request and on thier schedule not mine.We have dogs who are on raw diets,dogs who I cook for I cater to all of them.I have senior dogs who must be walked eight or nine times a day,fine.I do not believe in training someone elses dog,that is thier responsability,I have helped some of my clients and refered them to trainers I know and trust.I no longer have the patience to deal with human stupidity.I will spend as much time with a dog as they need.I have vets,trainers,breeder and OPP dogs who stay here.I have a kennel and board dogs because they are my life any dog that stays here becomes my dog and I do whatever it takes to make them happy.That's why we are small and our furry clients like it that way!and as far as not understanding rescues and the problems thier dogs can have two of my four dogs are rescues and I board dogs at no charge for some of the rescues.

glasslass
May 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I think training camp would be fine, as long as I went too - from day one! I agree with Prin. I want to be part of the process. I have a dog because I enjoy the rapport and the love between us. Why would I want someone else to work with him? I want to know how he's treated. It's my responsibility to protect him from any harm. I could never turn that responsibility over to a stranger.

Lucky Rescue
May 7th, 2005, 07:38 PM
To let you know not all boarding kennels just want to keep your dogs alive and in good condition while you are gone.Some of are doing it because we love dogs and they are our lives.

Of course. I didn't mean that the way it might have sounded! I used to take my dog to a kennel to be boarded, and the lady who ran it truly loved the dogs. My dog always came home calm and happy.

What I meant is that a training kennel runs on getting results, a little more involved and more at stake then keeping dogs alive, in good condition, and of course HAPPY!:D

doggy lover
May 9th, 2005, 02:29 PM
All the thing that I have read or heard tell you to never send your dog away, and I personally have never sent my dogs to board either I have gotten someone they know to stay at my home with them. My parents borded a dog once and they treated that dog terrible it even had a cut paw that went untreated for 2 weeks while the dog was there. He was also hosed to stay in a corner while they fed him or went into the pen for any reason. The poor dog was half crazy when my dad and I went to get him.

kandy
May 9th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I have to say that I wouldn't send my dog away to be trained - unless it was like glasslass said - I was with them! I had looked into a water rescue training program for our last newf, but when I found that I would have to send her to Montana for 3 months - it was a definite no go! I would rather buy books and search resources online to train my own dog rather than send them away. Most dogs would think that you abandoned them since they can't judge time and I couldn't live with myself if my dog thought I didn't love her anymore. :sad: