Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

why dog has accidents.

raingirl
May 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Is it ever possible to know why a dog has an accident and you can't seem to find a reason?

We've had Odin for 3 months now. He has had a few accidents, one last night. Always pee, never poop.

We couldn't figure out why he peep when he did. I was still awake and reading, around 11:30 PM, and all of the sudden heard him pee in the hallway. He had been out less than 2 hours earlier, and he has always slept through the night with no problems before. We immediately took him out, and he still had a lot of pee! I guess he just drank alot of water??

The only thing I can think of is we had our last training class last night, and we stayed and talked to the trainer, who is also the person/rescue we got Odin from. We did a little hands on one on one training just so I could get a few questions answered. I realised I was doing a few things wrong with teaching him not to pull (I had the concept right, but because I was pausing before turning in the other direction when he pulled, he wasn't making the association...and I didn't even notice I was pausing). So...we were walking back and forth threw the training room without me pausing for 20 minutes and he didn't like it so much as you could tell he just wanted to go outside.

Other than that, I don't know. 2 of the times he just peed after we had people over, probably due to overexcitement. Now I know to take him out when the people leave, so he doesn't pee in the house.

He doesn't let us know when he wants out..and I'm torn as to whether or not we should teach him that. Right now he goes out 4 or 5 times a day for walks and pee/poop, so he doesn't have to tell us. I don't want to train him to let him out and realise he just wants to go out and play....

Is this something I should be concerned about? I know he's a rescue so I have no problems with cleaning up a mess once a month...and he could still just be testing us, and just getting used to things. He isn't showing signs of it being a UTI either. Also, he peed right beside his bed on one of his blankets which I thought was odd...

SarahLynn123
May 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I cant help you but I know how you feel. Ive had Belle for about 7 months. 2 days ago I was doing laundry and she looked straight at me and squatted !!! Like it was nothing! It was on concrete and Im blaming the accident on having a new dog in the house (Shadow). It is frustrating I know!

Lissa
May 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I had the same problem with Dodger, he took a while to houstrain. Just like you he seemed to have learned NOT to pee/poop inside the house by the time he was 3 months old. I was so shocked and confused when he started, on average, having 1 accident a month from 5 month old until he was 8 months old. It was so weird because oftentimes he would pee right in front of me like it was natural and totally acceptable.

I never trained him to ring a bell to go out but if I had to do it over again I would definately start that from the beginning! Even now I may start training him for that because sometimes when I don't think he should need to go pee he is in fact, busting to go. I think its because I never thought :p to account for situtaions that make him drink more - like having the heating on high, having visitors, warmer weather, getting a bath, eating a done etc...
Good Luck and try not to be too confused/dissapointed. Sometimes mistakes need to be made before something is learned!!!!

Melissa

tenderfoot
May 4th, 2005, 07:39 PM
There's a chance that he's not housebroken because you are rescuing him by taking him out all of the time. You are doing all of the work - he doesn’t have to consciously think about it. It would be good if you could teach him to ask to go out. You will be quick enough to know if he is playing games with you and just asking to go out and play or if he really has to potty. Our dogs rarely ask to go out to play because they think it's more fun inside where we are - if we are out then they think its more fun outside where we are. We are the factor not the outdoors.

levimh
May 4th, 2005, 07:52 PM
How might one go about teaching a dog to ask to go out?

raingirl
May 4th, 2005, 09:19 PM
You what's funny? Part of me doesn't want him to ask to go out, as I don't see how it would work in an apartment. By the time we get to the outside, it usually takes 10 minutes, and will he make the connection? (we have slow elevators in our building, it takes about 30 seconds per floor!!)

Safyre
May 4th, 2005, 09:34 PM
To be honest, Justice was never taught how to ask to go out.
We watch he behaviour and when she started to circle as a pup, we would take her out. Then as she got older, we asked her if she needed to go, and she would go to the door. now, she will walk to the door, walk to one of us, and walk back to the door. Is that her asking to go out? I read someone on here got thier dog to learn to ring a bell! is there other ways to train them how to ask?
I'll keep reading this thread, the asking to go out thing has always confused me

tenderfoot
May 4th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Safyre - Justice is totally asking to go out. Some dogs scratch the door, some bark or whine, some sit there and wait and others pace back and forth. By the way - it sounds like you did teach her to ask. She showed signs of needing to go - you asked her if she needed to go out and took her. She learned to communicate her needs to you. Good job.

Raingirl - I understand that it takes a while to actually get outside, but Odin can learn to anticipate needing to go out - dogs don't usually wait until they are about to burst before they ask. Normally they feel the urge and then ask but are totally able to wait until their feet hit the grass before they go. (diahrrea being the exception). I think it would be nice for both of you to be able to communciate when Odin has a need - everyday is different. You don't always have to pee at the same time of day or within the same time breaks (sorry of thats too personal).

Levimh - You can teach a dog to ring a bell when he has to go out. Hang a bell nose height on the door that you use to go out, and put some peanut butter on it. Ask him to come an investigate the bell. He will sniff and lick and the bell should ding - get all happy and ask if he has to go out and take him. Be out for a bit and then come in and do it again. Make it a fun game at first and then have him ring it whenever you go out of the door with him and reward him with lots of praise each time. You have to be good enough to take him out whenever he rings the bell at first and then stop putting the peanut butter on it so he isn't just doing it for the PB. You could also just teach him to paw at the bell, sometimes they will resort to that anyway.

Safyre
May 4th, 2005, 11:06 PM
thanks for the reply Tenderfoot :D