Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for dogs in Ottawa/Gatineau Area

BeagleMum
May 4th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows of any play groups for dogs in the Ottawa/Gatineau area. Spencer (5.5 month old Beagle) really loves to play with other dogs but I can't let him loose at the dog park because I don't want to risk him running away. Just wondering if anyone knows of any groups that are set up in the area for dogs to play.

Lissa
May 4th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Hi,

I don't know of any - I'm just looking forward to some responses! Dodger alomst 11 months old now (American Foxhound), goes to Conroy Pitt but only on the weekend - it would be great to get involved in some kind of dog play group! I'm really disappointed that there seems to be so few organized dog activity groups in/around Ottawa - I have yet to meet someone who trains or competes in/for ANY dog-related activity. Hopefully, there will be some people on here who know about some groups!

Melissa

It's probably best that Spencer doesn't go to Conroy Pitt, only 1 Beagle that I've met there doesn't run away and I think that's because he is a bit chubby! Do you think he will ever be allowed at an off-leash park? Sadly, 1 beagle was killed after bolting from its owner and running around the parking lot. :sad:

BeagleMum
May 5th, 2005, 07:57 AM
I will never let Spencer off leash anywhere unless it is completely fenced in. That is just a risk that I am not willing to take.

I know that there is flyball and agility groups in Ottawa but I just don't think that Spencer is ready for something that structured. His nose controls his brain.

Like you, I am just liiking for some other dogs that Spencer can just play with. We want to keep him socialized. Maybe it would be different once we put in our fence (May 2-4 weekend) then I can invite some neighbourhood dogs over tp play. :)

nymph
May 5th, 2005, 08:51 AM
My dog Diego is 4 months today! I've only recently started to walk Diego, so he's still in leash training. I used to take the dog I was babysitting to the Arboretum on Prince of Wales, many people walk their dogs there, some are leash-free. If you only want to socialize your dog, I think that's the best place to go. I'm my favorite park in Ottawa. :p

I've also heard a member-only farm on old route 16 (Prince of Wales), but don't know the name. You pay a one-time membership fee of $60 I believe and annual membership fee. The farm is fenced, and has a big swimming pool, it sounds like a lot of fun. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of such place?