Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

collar tightness

raingirl
May 4th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Ok..I read that you should only be able to stick two fingers under the collar right?

Something a little embarrassing happened last night. Nothing big, but we were walking to our apartment door on our floor and he was pulling, so I was doing my turn and walk in the other direction when he pulls thing. Well, I think he was really thirsty (as when he did get in the apartment he drained his water dish) because he wriggled and wriggled and pulled himself out of his collar!! THe floor was empty and there was no where he could have gone, but still, not a nice thing to happen.

So..I can fit quite a bit of my hand under his collar, yet it seems really tight still. And because he has so many wrinkles around his neck, where should I fit the collar to? closer to his shoulder, closer to his ears?

Prin
May 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Bulldog's have weird proportions for collars. The head is not much bigger than the neck. Have you thought about a martingale or something that tightens a bit when he pulls? Otherwise, I don't have any solutions...

kandy
May 4th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I've never owned a bulldog (love em tho) so I didn't know about the head to neck proportion thing, but I've always kept the collar to where you could only get two fingers under it (of course, two of my fingers are alot different than two of my husband's fingers). If he can pull out of his collar, then it's not tight enough but that could be because of the proportions thing. Have you thought about a harness instead??

Beaglemom
May 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I always leave enough room to fit two fingers under the collar. Then I always test it by trying to get the collar over my dog's head. She kind of looks at me funny when I do that but it is a way for me to feel at ease since she too has slipped out of her collar when she was a pup.

Prin, I like the idea of a martingale. Even if he tries to get his head through, the collar will safely tighten enough not to allow it without putting too much pressure on his throat.

mastifflover
May 4th, 2005, 12:57 PM
The norm is two fingers but with dogs that have so much skin I use a martingale or even better for their necks is a halter especially for dogs that pull collars do damage to the throat and trachea. hugs to Odin

raingirl
May 4th, 2005, 01:04 PM
HI Mastiff, sounds like your hand is doing better!

Yeah, his neck is thick and about the same as his head.

We have a special bulldog head halter on order,made for snubnosed breeds. It was $17 US but we decided it might be worth a try, but he has been doing a lot better on leash lately. He doesn't want to run out of the elevator most of the time now (he used to try and get off at each stop). He sits at all doors, he waits for us to walk through first some of the time (getting better..he won't walk first on our floor at the elevator or in our door). Today he sat and STAYED the entire elevator ride despite people getting on at two stops, and he even let them get off first at ground floor!! I was so happy!!

He has a harness, but our trainer said we should use the collar when any kind of training is going on, and when he walks 100% perfect, then walk on the harness. So, we use the harness in areas when we know he will walk fine now, but in problem areas like walking to our entrance to our building, and in the building, we use his collar.

I beleive the collar he came with is a martingale (when you hook onto the ring, it tightens if he pulls right?). Maybe I will switch to that and see how he does with it.