Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help!!!!ASAP

jiorji
May 3rd, 2005, 10:53 PM
ok so this is probably a bad idea to ask for help cos i have the slightest feeling you're all gonna accuse me of disrupting nature's way and all that.......

but this white pigeon came to my window and it sat there til now.. 11pm. So i brought it in.. her wings are clipped so i think she's someone's slow pigeon or pet or whatever. I'm afraid she got lost or doesn't really know her way around real nature, hence her sleeping on my second floor windowsill.

I brought the poor thing in, she in my bathroom, gonna feed her some bird seeds in a bit. Her wings are trimmed and she's got a bracelet on her foot.

question is....what do i do with it in the morning??:(
I don't think shoving her in a cage would be an option.

........by the way if someone's lost a pigeon in the vaughan(toronto suburbs area) I have it. Not sure if these things are kept as pets tho.

So if anyone as had experience with this before please let me know :)

and i say this in the nicest way possible, but if you post to nag (i've seen this happen with other posts where ppl have brought wildlife in the home) please refrain. I was worried about her. :)

Safyre
May 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
no bad responses from me, no worries.
If her wings are clipped, she probably has a cage back at her home. I would suggest keeping her in a room, without windows if possible, give her a bit of bird seed, and a place to drink from. bathroom woks good, she can perch on the curtain rod or what not.
In the morning, take photos and put up 'found bird'? LOl I have no idea, I wish I had a suggestion on what to do in the morning.
I know there is a bird sancuary down near Windsor, but know nothing of Toronto area.
Maybe some other Torontonians will be on in a bit to assist.

LavenderRott
May 3rd, 2005, 11:03 PM
If the wings have been clipped and there is a band on the bird's leg, then this is a domestic bird and not a wild bird.

Check with local pet stores that specialize in birds and vets that treat birds. It is possible that it had it's wings clipped somewhere. Also, keep an eye open for lost flyers.

jiorji
May 3rd, 2005, 11:24 PM
she pooped in my bathtub!!

:yuck:

lol

LavenderRott
May 3rd, 2005, 11:27 PM
she pooped in my bathtub!!

:yuck:

lol

Could have been worse - she could have pooped on your head! :eek:

wjranch
May 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM
You said the bird had a leg band? What info is on the band? What type of band is it? I understand that a closed leg band is one that a breeder would attach to a bird at a very young age and it stays with the bird for life. It should have some info on it that might help you at least find the breeder of this bird.

If you can post what's on the band, I will try to identify where the bird came from :)

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Do you have a pic?

If you're going to keep it for awhile, you need to go and get some pigeon feed. Pigeons and doves don't hull seeds and need to ingest grit to grind them in the crop.

Prin
May 4th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Call me cosmetic, but I think since the pidgeon is white, it must be someone's novelty pet... If so, I think they'll be looking for it. :) Good luck with the... um... cleanliness of your bathroom... ;)

Cactus Flower
May 4th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.pigeons.com/resources/basiccare.html

Good luck!

jiorji
May 4th, 2005, 07:36 AM
update:

6:45 am- pigeon cheerfully awaits release
7:00am- pigeon stomps through tub
7:15am- jiorji cleans bird poop out of tub. oh the smell! :yuck:

thanks all :)
it's gone. I took it outside and after a while it flew off. I was worried it would stay there. Hopefully it knows its way back.

I tried to read the band. It just appears white. That's odd.It was just plain white. She kept walking away as i tried to look at her leg so i tried to minimize the shock and left the poor thing alone.
But she's off now. *tear* s'ok...one must learn to give up found pets.

this is why fostering wouldn't work with me :(

Lissa
May 4th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I found a pigeon last summer, not a nice white one though - she just looked like the average pigeon. Anyway, I cooed at her and she came down and since she had a bracelet on I was able to find where he came from. Anyway, the owner was a breeder and the one I had caught was a racing pigeon! They had realeased her about 200 miles away and she had slowly been making her way home!! I felt bad but the guy said she needed food to make it the rest of the way home so it may have taken her another few days to get up the energy! But because there are so many cats around my house, maybe it was for the best - and at least the owner didn't seem angry!!

Melissa

chico2
May 4th, 2005, 08:34 AM
A few years back I had a beautiful white pigeon hanging around my birdfeeders,he had a green leg-band.He did not have his wings clipped,but I knew he belonged to someone.
I remember calling Humane Society and they gave me a number to call,since most pigeon coop owners are registered,but I can't remember where I called.
The pigeon used to sit on the hydro-pole by my house and that is where the owner saw him,when h was driving around looking for him.
I was sooo happy to have the owner here.He came every day,trying to lure the pigeon down,brought pigeon food and even a few more of his birds to lure him down.I took a lot of pictures,but I have to find them..
After a few days,he finally got him and I was elated,because he was a prime target for Hawks.
The young man told me he was a certain kind of Aphgani pigeon,who can fly higher than any other pigeon and very expensive.
The Pigeon came back once more and I called the owner again(he lived 10 houses up from me)but luckily the pigeon knew his way back on his own.
It was a really nice experience,I got to see his coop with pigeons laying on eggs and baby-pigeons.
The young man did not clip their wings,but would tape them back when he did not want them to fly,but most of the time they stuck around their coop,even when not taped.
The first time when he came to my house,he pulled in to my drive-way and he had the mate of the white pigeon in his hands,I was so relieved.He was actually worried I would be angry at his intrusion,but I loved the whole experience and most of all,the beautiful white pigeon was safe :love:
As for your pigeon,it's unfortunate he's been clipped,but he probably has his home not too far from you,I would put up posters and let the HS know you have him and yes,they do eat a special blend of seeds and need water.
Please do not let him out again,he would not live long.I could be wrong,but I think the clipped wings will eventually grow back.
Check around to see if anyone has a pigeon-coop in your neighborhood,I went knocking on doors,but did not go far enough.

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Birds can't fly when their wings are clipped... :confused:

chico2
May 4th, 2005, 09:28 AM
I was thinking that too,so maybe the wings were not clipped...if he is lost,he'll more than likely return to your house.If he does,please try to locate the owner,probably not too far from you...

jiorji
May 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM
he;s back ...5 pm now and he's strutting in my back yard looking for stuff. I think i'm his new mommy

chico2
May 4th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Jiorji,thats what I thought,the same thing happened with mine,until the owner found out where he was.
Check around your neighborhood,if I had been more observant,I would have noticed all the pigeons up the street,a clear sign someone has a coop.
The point is,pigeons are very seldom on their own and this one is lost and he needs his pigeon-family...he was more than likely not in a cage,but a coop.
I have a bunch every day at my feeder,but they are wild pigeons...my very irate neighbor keeps clapping her hands,but I think they are here to stay.
Call Humane Society,maybe someone reported it missing,coop-owners treasure their birds,just like we do our animals.

Karin
May 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Sounds like your pigeon is a lost, wayward racing pigeon. Pigeon fanciers have clubs all over the world. They will release their birds, sometimes counting a hundred at a time, they gather their homing skills and fly as a flock to a destination usually hundreds of miles away...clubs on the other end time & register the birds as they arrive. After a much needed rest and food at another clubs "covey", (I believe that's what they are called, don't quote me please!) they are released again for the return trip. When I ran the Williston airport we had pigeon meets where 5 or 6 clubs would gather for a mass release. The birds live for this and it's amazing the distance they can travel. Any pigeon fancier can trace the band. They also have the inside "scoop" on who's missing in the network. (Some clubs microchip the birds now) Every now & then one will get lost....weather can seperate one from the group, or fatique got the best of him (or her) or both factor in.
Try to find a club in your area, I have found many over the years...these people are passionate about their birds.
Btw, this is the season for the racers, and some clubs do pay rewards for time & trouble.

chico2
May 4th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Karin,of course you could be right,I know nothing about racing-pigeons.
I only know,the young man,who after 4 days of trying,finally got his white pigeon back from my backyard,was extatic and all he did was keep them and care for them,no racing.
I know we have a couple more in this area who do the same and they are banded and registered(the pigeons :D )

Karin
May 4th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Karin,of course you could be right,I know nothing about racing-pigeons.
I only know,the young man,who after 4 days of trying,finally got his white pigeon back from my backyard,was extatic and all he did was keep them and care for them,no racing.
I know we have a couple more in this area who do the same and they are banded and registered(the pigeons :D )

They are wonderful people...the ones I have met so far. I am not into this like the club pigeon fanciers are..shoot, they have their own magazine out now for many years!
My first encounter was when I worked for Rabies & Animal control here in 1980. I had a report of a pigeon that attacked a elderly woman. So I picked up the culprit..a beautiful grey pigeon with a leg band, I already had a white dove I carried through my divorce with my kids...(Bianca was another foundling) I found out Doves and Pigeons do not always get along. I contacted a local pigeon person of record and was educated quickly! I love these folks....that's why they are so welcome for their meets at the airport now.
To each their own....they do a great job, I'm not into it persay but I cannot find fault either.

pamha
May 4th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Birds can't fly when their wings are clipped...

Actually depending on how long ago and how well it was done some birds can still fly a bit. Our cockatiel got used to flying in the house and now she attempts it whether she`s been recently clipped or not. As soon as they start growing at all, she`s all over.

Karin
May 4th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Birds can't fly when their wings are clipped...

Actually depending on how long ago and how well it was done some birds can still fly a bit. Our cockatiel got used to flying in the house and now she attempts it whether she`s been recently clipped or not. As soon as they start growing at all, she`s all over.

True. Some species left with 2 flight feathers after a clip can still fly. Some people when they clip, leave these feathers for cosmetic reasons...that's all it takes to get off the ground. Macaw's can fly with only one flight feather on each side....some people say clipping one side only...this is cruel... the birds still try to fly, but have no directional control.

Rainy
May 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
When you clip a birds wings it all depends on how much you clip. Whenever I brought my bird to get his wings clipped the technician would clip some then we would do a test throw. A test throw is a gentle toss from about hip length.The bird should be able to hover slowly to the ground,if the bird flies,clip a tiny bit more.Note: tests should be done in a closed small room (not ouside!) You shouldn't clip a birds feathers to the point where if they try to fly they will fall hard. :eek: Clipped wings grow back .

jiorji
May 6th, 2005, 11:49 PM
When you clip a birds wings it all depends on how much you clip. Whenever I brought my bird to get his wings clipped the technician would clip some then we would do a test throw. A test throw is a gentle toss from about hip length.The bird should be able to hover slowly to the ground,if the bird flies,clip a tiny bit more.Note: tests should be done in a closed small room (not ouside!) You shouldn't clip a birds feathers to the point where if they try to fly they will fall hard. :eek: Clipped wings grow back .

i know they grow back. I think this pigeon's been lost for a while then. SHe can fly just fine, but i guess not far enough or doesn't care to fly farther now that it found a new home. This saddens me i don't like to see her like this. She's now sleeping on the neighbour's window. I don't want her to be alone :(

Secondly, my parents will be moving in july and this pigeon won't follow :'(
I don't know about the new people who will mvoe here, whoever they are.

I think her wings are growing more and more, soon they'll be a good size to fly away, if she wants to.
But she doesn't. She spends her days sitting in my backyard tanning cos it's all sunny now lol

she gets fed. I give her food with my sparrows. I'm not sure if she knows where the bird bath is for water. poor thing. All other birds that come visit me come in pairs. She's all alone :'(

chico2
May 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Jiorji,did you try to contact anyone???Someone is probably missing her,she will not survive on regular bird-seeds if her home is in a coop(don't know correct name?)they need special seeds for pigeons.
Call your local animal-shelter or Wildlife people,that's what I did..they know who to contact.
If you do nothing,she will eventually die :sad:
Are you sure it's a pigeon,not a dove???