Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doberman or Rottweiller?

wannapuppy
May 3rd, 2005, 06:38 PM
My husband would like to get a Doberman for our next pup because I'm looking for a breed that wants to be with me 24/7 but we have heard a couple of stories from owners of the breed going what they referred to as "stupid" and aggressive when they got older. Has anyone experienced this. I also like rottweillers but want to be sure I get a breed that is the typical "velcro dog". Does anyone have any suggestions?

wjranch
May 3rd, 2005, 06:54 PM
As a Dobie owner, I would recommend that you research your breed INDEPTH, and interview different breeders that carry the bloodlines that produce the traits you would like to see in your dog. It is a serious undertaking to keep a dog like this... they require a great deal of commitment in regards to training, and exercise. Not to mention the health issues that they are subject to :(
If you follow this advice, I see no reason why you should have to worry about a dog that 'turns' as it ages. They are a wonderful family dog, and with proper training and socialization, excellent companions. I think also, that you should maybe consider a sport to work with your dog in... it not only gives the dog exercise and enjoyment (the breed NEEDS to have a job to do) it will give you a reason to get out and enjoy your dog.
I can honestly say that owning a Dobie is extremelly rewarding, as well as occasionally irritating ;)... They WILL find something to do if you don't give them work to occupy themselves with, and I can mostly certainly guarantee it won't be what you would choose for them to be doing ;)
Good Luck on your search....and remember no matter what breed you choose,,,,,,research and interview breeders... Do NOT buy the first pup from the first litter you view!!! Write out some guidelines you want to see in your dog....and STICK to it! :)

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
I grew up woth dobies and we NEVER had any who "turned". If you beat them they might "beat" you back... I know dobies are very loyal and follow their masters and if you're intentions are bad, theirs probably will be too.

There are a ton of reasons why dobies don't live long, but if your future dobie comes from a great line, there is no reason s/he won't live to 13 or 14.

And no, they are not stupid. They are not the same as labs and other dogs who do anything you ask. Dobies seem to have a certain logic. My last dobie was the only dog I ever knew who held a plate down with one paw as he licked it. All other dogs I know just lick it and travel around the room...

But do research. These dogs can be too much for people to handle.

DogueLover
May 3rd, 2005, 07:07 PM
We had Rottweillers and they were devoted family pets and very much wanted to be with us 24/7. They do need training as do all dogs but I found that they were really great with all ages however the ones we had usually "picked their human" meaning that they chose one person of the family to be their favorite and nothing anyone else said or did could change it.
We now have what I consider the "ultimate velcro dogs" and I will never have another breed.
Our Dogue De Bordeauxs must be touching us somewhere almost all the time. They are a great dog but not necessarily for just any owner as they are very strong willed and stubborn at times. They can be trained and naturally want to please you. A stern voice is all that is needed to discipline them and any aggressive training methods have a very negative effect on them.
Please do some research on this breed, if you like Rottweillers you would LOVE A DOGUE.

doggy lover
May 3rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
Doguelover I just love your big babies, their faces are priceless. As for dobes and rots I have had friends that have had both of these types of dogs and I found them to be great pets. As for a velcro pet sometimes that backfires and they stick to someone else, and that is in any breed.

Lucky Rescue
May 3rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Just be sure you are up to it if you get either breed. Highly intelligent working breeds, both kinds of dog need early and consistant training, exercise (particularly Dobes) and must be loved family members.:)

A doberman is no more likely to "turn on you" than a Lab would. Bad genes and mishandling make bad dogs.

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Doguelover I just love your big babies, their faces are priceless. As for dobes and rots I have had friends that have had both of these types of dogs and I found them to be great pets. As for a velcro pet sometimes that backfires and they stick to someone else, and that is in any breed.
LOL LOL-- I got Jemma to be MY dog because Boo was stuck to my man all the time and now they're both stuck to him... I need a third dog. :p

MIA
May 4th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I adopted a Dobe about two years ago now and she is just the most wonderful dog ever, she is always with me, a total snuggle bunny and VERY smart. I wasn't totally prepared for the amount of energy and intelligence but once I adjusted it's a hoot!!!! She did require lots of training and socialization but well worth it.

My only beef is with people who are terrified of my "killer" Doberman! I get told to put her on leash at the off leash parks and people with small dogs tend to pick up their dogs and give me dirty looks, my dog LIVES with two MinPins (and they are usually right behind her at the park)! She's wonderful but people have that preconceived idea.... I've worked very hard to make her a good doggy citizen and am proud of her and how wonderful she is.

http://www.minpinandshibarescuebc.com/monecklace.jpg

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM
MIA your girl is just beautiful! My favorite breed.:)

wasn't totally prepared for the amount of energy and intelligence but once I adjusted it's a hoot!!!! She did require lots of training and socialization but well worth it.

Right!

MIA
May 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Thank you! She was the best $100.00 I have spent!!! LOL She was from a local pound, spent the first part of her life chained and muzzled!!!! She thankfully broke off her chain and was running free, she was barking at people and they called the police! She was picked up by the RCMP and thankfully her dumb dumb owners never showed up as she was very thin and mentally derranged!!! ROFL!!!! She was a lot of work but her temperment is amazing and she's come a long way. I wouldn't trade her for anything!!!!

Jackie467
May 4th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I had dobermans since I was born up until recently. When I was born there was a 3 yr old dobie who was my parents baby, there were afraid it might be jelous of me but it turned out that the dog loved me and protected me more than he did my parents. We had one agressive dobe who was only aggressive to men and it was because she was beat by a man before we got her. (I think this is why my mother won't rescue) She was never aggressive for no reason, only when a man looked like he was threating my mother, and she never bite anyone only growled. Dobies are very high energy and do require a lot of training. Our dobies never had jobs, but were very well exercised. Please put a lot of thought into this breed, they take a lot of work but the return you get is wonderful. very much velcro dogs.

SnowDancer
May 4th, 2005, 02:02 PM
My mini Dachshunds LOVED Dobermans when they were alive - and of course a full grown mini looks like a baby Dobe. Great pals, kindred spirts - a friend of mine had quite a group of both - all "grandfathered" of course. But, not to scare anyone, for current Dobe Mommies, has the health issue that caused early death - around 6 years of age o so, been "cured". I would have to say it was around 1996-97 that 3 people I know all lost their Dobes to a heart related problem and I did not see many new Dobe puppies for quite some time after that. Personally I have no fear of Dobes.

LavenderRott
May 4th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Neither breed is for the faint of heart. Both breeds are active working dogs that need plenty of training and "jobs" to keep them busy.

Buying from a breeder that does all health checks for hips, elbows, hearts and eyes should prevent one from getting a pup that has an issue such as Sub Aortic Stenosis - a heart condition that can cause sudden death.

MIA
May 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Personally I vote for adopting but that's just me!!!!

http://www.dogster.com/pix/dogs/42/642/3.jpg

wannapuppy
May 5th, 2005, 08:03 AM
thanks for all the good information. I know what you mean about keeping them excercised and busy because we have a german shepherd(9yrs old) right now and when she was younger she was a handfull. Whatever breed we go with is a definite family member for life and very spoiled, my vet makes fun of me because even my rabbit is spoiled to death. We have 12 acres of running around room so space isn't a problem. I would like to get a pup now but my husband worries about the pup becoming more attached to the g.s. than to me because that's what happened when we got the g.s. and had a 6 yr. old lab mix. Which by the way was an adoptee that was a 60 lb. lap dog, however at 9 she started turning on everyone but me so I know what you mean about it can happen in any breed. What are your recommendations on whether to wait until our older dog is gone? The g.s. is extremely independent and while she wants to be in the room with you she doesn't necessarily want you loving on her all the time. I really miss having a dog that wants to be touching me or laying on me all the time. I know she loves us and she's very protective of me I would just like a little more affection. Sorry to ramble but things just keep popping into my head.LOL

wjranch
May 5th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I would think that your GSD is probably not all that keen on having another, more active dog around to share you with. She sounds like she's very protective of you and at 9yrs old she's not likely to take kindly to a puppy taking away your attention. You might find she goes after the pup in an aggressive manner, more then just 'teaching him his place' too.

Just a few thoughts from me (I've been living with a similar situation here)
I have a GSD/Dobie female spayed 6 year old and she's not very impressed with the puppy at this point. We've had some issues already...but, we've worked through most of them. They still aren't the best of buddies, but, more or less co-exist peacefully now :D

Maybe until your GSD goes over the bridge, you could simply volunteer at your local shelter?? You're sure to get tons of affection from attention starved dogs/puppies there. ;)

LavenderRott
May 5th, 2005, 02:17 PM
If your 9 year old dog is suddenly "turning on every body but you" you might consider a trip to the vet. Aging doesn't change a dogs temperment to that point unless there is something wrong.

Jackie467
May 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I believe if i'm not mistaken, she means that her lab that has passed away had the aggression problem.

Copper'sMom
May 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
however at 9 she started turning on everyone but me so I know what you mean about it can happen in any breed.

If this happens to ANY breed of dog, than Pit Bulls wouldn't be the only dogs banned!!!!! :mad:

wannapuppy
May 5th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I did mean that my lab mix started showing aggression towards others at 9 and wound up leaving us shortly afterwards. My GSD is a wonderful dog, she just doesn't need as much attention as I do. I sit down to pet and love on her and she jumps up and goes to get a toy and plays by herself. At night when she's tired is when you get your loving in. My son brought his small mixed breed up and my GSD(who has never played with another dog since our lab) played with him some after she established dominance. I just don't want to make her final years miserable or miss out on having the puppy bond closely with me so I don't know whether to wait on a pup or not. I appreciate all the imput. Thanks for listening.

wjranch
May 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM
if you're interested in a Dobie, look here! http://www.dru.org/available.htm

Merlin is my personal favorite :D

Prin
May 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM
awwww Pax and Tonka are most like my old dobie... I love the reds.