Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What shampoo do you use

doggy lover
May 3rd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Tucker has been getting really muddy lately (when he is playing in the pond and mud at our cottage) and I was wondering what shampoo do you recomend. he goes from my lovely white and red city dog to my muddy brown country dog, but he loves it. He has very long fur on his back legs and tail, does anyone use some kind of conditioner or detangler, on their longer haired dogs. Thank god I never got a sheltie when I was looking for a dog.

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 04:58 PM
my doggies don't have long hair, but I do know of a leave in conditioner called "Buddy Spash". It's lavender and mint.

BMDLuver
May 3rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
If you have a feed mill store near by you, then I would suggest using Corvis. It will make his white incredibly bright. It's a horse product originally. Also, if you buy Mane & Tail conditioner spray, once he is bathed, spray his feathers with it and let it dry then comb through. If he gets into burrs or such while out galavanting, then give the area a light spray, let it dry and comb out the burrs, no pulling no fuss. I have used it on many horses and dogs and have had no allergic reactions.

melanie
May 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
i only ever use baby shampoo, my rule is if i cannot squirt it in my own eye safely, i certainly would never use it on my babys (poochs) skin. and she smells so nice after and oooohhhhhh so extra soft.

db7
May 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Damn I love GSP's. I've had six of them and never washed one of them except for once when one got skunked. :thumbs up

Princesss04
May 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
I use baby shampoo on both of my boys! :D

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 05:57 PM
That's such a good idea! I'm going to use baby shampoo next time. I use human shampoo ( :eek: )--- I have incredibly sensitive skin so I figured the shampoos I use should be ok. I haven't had a problem ever with it...

levimh
May 3rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
I use Tearless Puppy shampoo, by Hants? ...Hanz? I forget the name, but it's in a purple bottle. :D

wjranch
May 3rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
If you really want the white to be bright, I'd suggest using a horse shampoo for white horses (I have a mostly white horse, and use it on her...so I know it works, you can see her in my intro thread)
As for the feathers.... I'd suggest using Show Sheen...another horse product. It's a silicone spray.. it works great on baby fine hair and keeps the tangles and burrs from catching in the hair for up to a week or so at a time. If you apply it before you let your pup run in the country, You'll find the dirt and mud wont' stick to it as bad... you can let the mud dry and comb it out...therefore LESS bathing of the dog...which is a good thing
:)

Dahlia
May 4th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I've read that you shouldn't use human shampoo on dogs because it is not ph balanced for them. So no matter how gentle it is on you it can irritate the dog's skin. But I used to use it all the time and didn't really notice anything. Now that I use dog shampoo it dries the skin on my hands and arms so bad I can hardly stand it. So I'm wondering if that's how my dogs felt when I used human shampoo on them? Anyway not knocking anybody, that's just what I read in a packet the vet gave me.

kandy
May 4th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I use Oatmeal dog shampoo. We live in a dry climate and it seems to help with the dry skin. I had also heard that you weren't supposed to use human shampoo on dogs.

Beaglemom
May 4th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Dahlia I have always been told the same thing, that human shampoo is not ph balanced for a dog's or cat's skin and could irritate them. Even the baby shampoo which is more gentle than adult shampoo can be irritating to some pets. I have used it occasionally in the past and never had a reaction from the dogs.

There are shampoos that are formulated for white dogs and really brightens up their coat. I have used it on our maltese poodle x, it is drying though and you should use a conditioner as well.

I'm sure of the shampoo that I have at the moment, but I usually try to find one that is as gentle as possible since my doggies are prone to skin irritation. I used to order my products from a pet supply place that had a good variety of products.

Dahlia
May 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I was using Old Roy dog shampoo from Wal Mart but Sophie always stinks, so today I bought some Oatmeal deodorizing shampoo. We'll see how it works, I guess.

Prin
May 4th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I also use a milky shampoo too. It's weird because it doesn't lather (I wasted almost a whole bottle trying to get a lather (READ the directions, Prin, READ!!) but it smells a little sweet and milky and it's great. You can "resmell" it when they get wet...

SnowDancer
May 4th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Now that I have a fluffy white Eskimo dog (boy was it easier bathing 9 lb. Dachshunds and even a 25 lb. Beagle - as well as keeping them clean to begin with) I know exactly how you feel. And with the rain and mud in Toronto it has been a nightmare. I always used dog oatmeal shampoo on my hounds and did initially on the Eskimo. When we ran out last month I bought Woof "Tea Tree with Shea Butter" shampoo for the little prince. The other 2 varieties are lavender based and I have breathing issues with lavender. Re the whitening shampoo - I agree, it is drying. Same as shampoos for people with silver hair - only to be used every week or so - not daily - as my husband did to his dismay. My dog gets professionally groomed every 3 months and whatever they use whitens him up - looked SO PRETTY on Saturday for about 1 hour - then hit every mud puddle in sight. I wish he had black legs. I have been hallucinating about leg warmers to keep his long legs clean. He refuses to wear his winter boots - they do come in a rain version. Maybe next year when he is 2. I am seriously considering a rain coat if this weather keeps up - and a hat. I saw a little dog yesterday who was all decked out in rain gear suitable for a trip under Niagara Falls - all in hot pink.

doggy lover
May 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys. BMDluver, next time I'm up at the cottage I'll stop into the co-op and try and get corvis and mane and tail. I'll give it a try, Tucker has very long feathers and I don't want to see what happens if he gets into a batch of burrs up there. I couldn't think how long it takes to brush out a rough collie or another dog like it. My bernese cross didn't have the long coat of the berner, but if you wanted a dog that shed alot it was him you could make a new dog each spring, and he constantly shed, I don't miss that.

doggy lover
May 29th, 2005, 01:31 PM
BMDlover I went to the Co-op and bought the mane and tail like you said it worked great. The funny thing was a few days later I went to Wal-mart here in the city and in with the hair shampoo ect they have yep you guessed it mane and tail shampoo, conditioner,and detangler. I guess it is the same stuff it is made by the same company so now I don't have to worry about going to the co-op. Now my daughter keeps using it on her hair she says its great.

KessyWessy
May 30th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I use Earth Bath (http://www.earthbath.com/)

Eleni
May 30th, 2005, 08:56 AM
I use baby shampoo too, occasionally when im running low[we use alot of it in this house] then Ill use dawn

sams skin isnt sensative to anythign however

Eleni

nymph
May 30th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I use LambertKeys' Tearless Puppy Shampoo with Aloe Vera on Diego, but I've heard that oatmeal puppy shampoo works best. The shampoo has a very pleasant herbal fragrance.