Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

scratchy dog help needed!!!

jess123
May 3rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
hey

my dog is called barty he is usually the best dog but we have found that when we move house or he has to get used to being somewhere on his own he scratches the doors and we have just moved into a new house and we cant leave him alone in case he scratches because the doors on this house have just been replaced and its to expensive to risk leaving him and its getting to the point that my mum has started threatening to get rid of him if anyone can think of i way i might be able to stop him that would b excellent

raingirl
May 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Sounds like he has something called separation anxiety, which means he hates being alone.

How long is he alone for?

There are several options.

One, you can get him a friend so he won't be alone (another dog or a cat maybe). That usually helps from what I have been told.

Second, when you leave the house, make sure that you aren't making a big deal about leaving. Don't pet him a lot or anything. And when you return home, IGNORE him for about 15 minutes. EVERYONE has to do this for it to work. He needs to understand when you leave and come back, it's not a big deal.

Also, he is probably bored while you are gone. There are a few things you can buy to help. There are dog toys that speak when you play with them, and you can actually record your own voice on them so the dog will play with it thinking it's you. You can get him a ball that you fill with his food or treats, and he has to play with it, roll it around and such, to get the food out. Third, get kongs or bones that you can fill things inside. Take the kong and fill it with something your dog loves like peanut butter or cheese whiz or cottage cheese, put a few treats in the centre as well, and freeze it over night and give it to him when you leave in the morning. As soon as you get home you take away the kong. The dog learns that he gets a wonderfull treat when you leave, so he starts to like it better when you are gone.

Hope this helps.

nymph
May 3rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Have you considered a crate?

doggy lover
May 3rd, 2005, 08:35 PM
Sounds like separation anxiety to me. Good advice Raingirl