Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does your dog do this?

heeler's rock!
May 3rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Kia, my border collie, has started to do something strange.....whenever she licks one of the cats, or one of the dogs in an excited manner, she starts chattering her teeth. I once watched a golden retriever for 2 weeks who did this everytime we'd come home and she'd get excited. Does anyone else's dog do this? Should I be worried? :confused:

BMDLuver
May 3rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Could be the start of CCD (Canine Compulsive Disorder). There's quite a bit of information on it on the net.

Cinnabear
May 3rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
You're not alone. My dog does that too. It's the high after oral sex they get. Sounds bad but it's part of their nature of some dogs.

heeler's rock!
May 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
It's the high after oral sex they get.

What?? I've never heard of that before. Is that for real? :confused: :confused:

BMDLuver
May 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
You're not alone. My dog does that too. It's the high after oral sex they get. Sounds bad but it's part of their nature of some dogs.
How does a dog excited at someone's coming home result in this? or a dog that is licking a cat result in this? Sorry but I'm not buying that explanation. No offense.

happycats
May 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
We had a BC/X growing up, and she chattered her teeth every time she got excited (when my parents came home and car rides) the vet said there was nothing medically wrong with her, she just cant contain her excitement !!

My MIL had an Akita :angel: who did this also, but would actually pinch you when he did it :p (he did it when he was excited to>

heeler's rock!
May 3rd, 2005, 12:42 PM
BMD, I'm gonna look further into CCD, and get her checked out by the vet to rule out any medical conditions.

She's just started this a few days ago, so it may just be over excitement lately. We just started her in agility, and she's loving that so it may make her feel closer to us and make her excited. When she licks the cats or dogs, it's usually their faces and then she looks at us and chatters her teeth for a few seconds. I hope it's not serious, because it's kinda cute actually! :o

Dukieboy
May 3rd, 2005, 12:48 PM

W H A T ???? L O L ROTFL!

BMDLuver
May 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
BMD, I'm gonna look further into CCD, and get her checked out by the vet to rule out any medical conditions.

She's just started this a few days ago, so it may just be over excitement lately. We just started her in agility, and she's loving that so it may make her feel closer to us and make her excited. When she licks the cats or dogs, it's usually their faces and then she looks at us and chatters her teeth for a few seconds. I hope it's not serious, because it's kinda cute actually! :o
If she's young it could very well be that she's so excited she manifests it in this way. One thing people do when this happens, is give the dog a toy so that they have something to carry around. My Aussie/Berner mix does the hind the knee nipping or ankle grab when she gets excited. She's only 11 months so we redirect with a toy. I'm considering agility for her as she's highpowered and one of the fastest dogs I have ever seen. The Berner Simba, that we just adopted out would do the air snapping when she wanted to get close to the cat and the cat would not let her. For her, it appeared to be frustration.

heeler's rock!
May 3rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah, Kia's only 20 months. I'll try the redirecting with a toy thing, and that may help her out!:o When she was a really young pup, she would pee herself when she got excited! I'm glad she's stopped that! :p :o

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 01:18 PM
I posted a couple of months ago about my dad's Jack's teeth chattering and evryone said it was normal. Even the vet thinks it's ok.

Jackie467
May 3rd, 2005, 06:00 PM
It may sound strange, and I may get laughed at for this (I know I do when people see or hear it) but MY teeth chatter whenever i'm excited, scared, nervous, really upset and crying, or of course cold. The only thing is it's strange that it just started all the sudden. Could you have maybe just not noticed it before? A lot of people question me about why my teeth chatter when i'm excited but I don't really know why it happens, and I can't really control it either.

melanie
May 3rd, 2005, 06:05 PM
my beautiful baby girl GSDX does this after a fight, yep, as soon as she is outa the fight, her teeth chatter alot for a min or two, calming her down stops it though. :thumbs up

wjranch
May 3rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
I'm no vet.... but, I'd think it's perfectly normal behaviour.
It's common to see cats chatter(and even drool) like that when they are stalking a bird..
So, why not a dog (or person for that matter) feeling the same effect?
I'd say it's most likely related to adrenaline output and the associated excitment manifests in 'chatters'.
I know when I'd have a rush of adrenaline my leg muscles shake....so why not teeth chattering??

Just a thought :)