Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

thoughtless people

Eleni
May 3rd, 2005, 09:53 AM
I was walking my dog and3 kids this morning for the dogs morning walk, the 2 oldest kids walking beside me, and the baby tucked into the stroller.

I stopped just as we were standing under the veranda[theres someones balcony just above it] to adjust the babys coat cause it was bunched up.

when i noticed something dropped on my baby, I realised fast that it was a lit ciggarette :eek:
i plucked it off the baby quick before it burnt him, burning myself in the process and toss it on the ground, and look up to see a guy standing there on his balcony.

I yell up for him to be mroe considerate then to drop a ciggarette on a 5 month old baby, and he brushes me off calling me an irate mother who doesnt know what im talking about.

now tell me how self absorbed does a person ahve to be to not feel like crap for nearly burning a helpless infant?

my husband and I are filing a complaint with the superintendant, there is no reason ever a child should be hurt by someones laziness and preference to toss a lit ciggarette over their balcony rather then snuff it out in an ashtray.

ugh im so angry i could spit nails, and thanking god my baby isnt burnt.

Eleni

lilith_rizel
May 3rd, 2005, 10:12 AM
I know if that would have been us, James would have went up and decked the idiot!

Copper'sMom
May 3rd, 2005, 10:26 AM
OMG Eleni, I'm so sorry that happened!! That is awful. I'd definitely make a complaint as well. My fiance would probably beat the guy to a pulp if that happened to us! I wonder if you could make a complaint with the police as well?

Eleni
May 3rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
my husband mentioned that as well.

but would it be assult if he dropped a ciggarette on the baby?

my husband wont be home for a few hours, when he gets home our first course of action will be a long talk with the superintendant

then if i get no where id be likely to phone the police and see where i can get.

its great that Ty wasnt hurt but im concerned for the other moms with babies, and the otehr kids all of whom go under that varanda many times a day, whats to say the next child isnt going to get seriously burnt

Eleni

twinmommy
May 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Nevermind waiting for the husband--I would have decked the jerk!!!

Could this not be considered "reckless endangerment"?? Bearsmom? Schwinn?

And to think that he was not the least bit remorseful!!!

:mad: :evil:

Go get him, Eleni, I would be MORE than pissed!!

kandy
May 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
That is terrible - and I say that as a smoker! By definition, any action that causes fear of physical harm is assault. I would call the police - at the very least it should be littering. In most places it is illegal to throw a lit cigarette out of a car window so why should throwing it off your balcony be any different. What if you hadn't noticed the thing fall??? It could've ignited your baby's blanket or coat or whatever! I probably would've taken the cigarette butt and stuffed it up his nose! :evil:

Princesss04
May 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
I am so sorry this happened to you but even more sorry about the responses you got from this man. Some people do not care about anyone but themselves. :mad:

Eleni
May 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
I am pissed, I cant go in full gun blazing however because its jsut me and the kids here I dont want to set a bad example

i want the kids to learn how to deal with a situation calmly. So when my husbands comes home thats what we are going to do.

that and dont know this guy and im not a very big woman, I dont wanna risk him being verbally or phsically agressive when things do come to head.

our superintendant is good im 99% sure we will get result from her.

if not we will press the issue further, and involve police.

Eleni

nymph
May 3rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
The last condo we lived had strict regulations prohibiting dumping cigarettes let alone a LITcig out from the balcony. Yeah I'd definitely file a complaint against the idiot!

twinmommy
May 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
I am pissed, I cant go in full gun blazing however because its jsut me and the kids here I dont want to set a bad example

smart mommy!!! :thumbs up

let us know how you make out..

mafiaprincess
May 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
At our apt building we were told we couldn't throw anything off our balcony. I threw out all the paperwork when I moved but I think it mentioned by laws.

Schwinn
May 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Most buildings you aren't allowed to throw things off. As for the laws, since I'm still a wanna-be, I can't say for sure, but I'd say that to actually have him charged with anything, there would have to be some injury or damage. If there was, I think it would be something along the lines of reckless endangerment. I would, however, talk to the super. And being someone who would probably be short of turning green just before I made it so all of this idiot's meals would have to be liquid, I'm saying make sure your husband really thinks things through before he has a chat with the idiot. An assault charge isn't going to make things better.

Eleni
May 3rd, 2005, 11:31 AM
I totally agree, my husband is the more level headed of the two of us by far.

wich is why he will be here, ive got that protctive mommy thing going on and I doubt i could control myself if i felt he was gonna hurt my child, or someone elses child again.

thank god for mellow husbands.

but in the meanwhile im not going to use that door anymore, im going to use the back entrance to the building where at least we arent walking beneath balconies.

its a shame you cant stand underneath a varanda without fearing your childrens safety.

Im hopign he can be given a warning, our landlady will evict people for breaking a by law so if he is breaching a by law she will evict him im sure, our building is pretty strict about the rules thankfully

lilith_rizel
May 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
James is always VERY protective over Judith and I. There has been many times where we have came close to an accident, because the other driver drives careless. And James always says "It's a good thing he didn't hit us, or I would have slit his throat" or something to that extent. He would do anything to make sure us to are always safe......

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 12:31 PM
I think it wouldn't have been a bad example if you had gone off at the man because it would teach your kids that you stand up for family and that they are protected. I'm saying that because my dad just brushed stuff off in front of us and it made us feel like "throwing burning cigarettes" at us was ok.

Eleni
May 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
my dad was the opposite , he was very aggressive, wich is part of the reason I keep the beleifs i have

I guess it comes down to perspective

Eleni

Writing4Fun
May 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
OMG! :eek: Some people are just so inconsiderate! Lit cigarettes hurt like heck. Hubby got one on the lap once - it was thrown from a car window while he was riding his motorcycle. Not fun! And to think the guy gave you attitude about it! *Sigh* But it does take all kinds to make this world go 'round, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I must say that you were right to walk away and deal with it when your hubby gets home. You never know how some people will react, and since this guy has already proven himself to be a jerk, that's even more reason to proceed cautiously. Glad to hear that your super will back you on this. We so often hear about the bad building management going on, it's nice to hear that there are people out there doing a good job in that area! :)

melanie
May 3rd, 2005, 04:51 PM
thank good ness you noticed in time, oh boy. and wtih the other kids around, what if that landed in hair or down the back of a top, holy crap that is a horrific thing to have happen.
again thank goodness you saw it.

do your worst :evil: :mad: :sick: