Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Here I go again...

Schwinn
May 3rd, 2005, 10:09 AM
I've got an interview with York Police again, next Thursday. The only bummer is my physical certification runs out this Friday, so I have to re-do it this Sunday. I hate that thing.

Here's hoping I don't screw up this time!

Trinitie
May 3rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Fingers, legs, arms, eyes - all crossed for you my friend!

Good luck!

Princesss04
May 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
I am sure you will do fine. I am sending out good luck vibes! :D Let us know! :D

BMDLuver
May 3rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Have every appendage crossed for you Schwinn! Go get that job, you deserve it!

happycats
May 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/fingers/1.gifGot everything crossed for you, and I wish you the best of luck, and hope your dream comes true for you! :D

http://bestsmileys.com/cops/3.gifOfficer Schwinn reporting for duty!! :cool:

Daisy's Owner
May 3rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Good luck Schwinn!

Copper'sMom
May 3rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
You'll do great Schwinn!! You'll be in that http://bestsmileys.com/cops/8.gif in no time! Just remember to use the http://bestsmileys.com/cops/9.gif for work purposes only!!

kandy
May 3rd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Good Luck!! And 'break a leg' during your certification - haha - or should I say DON'T break a leg??? LOL

CyberKitten
May 3rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Good luck Schwinn!! I'll keep all my digits crossed and all the paws in the house will also be crossed for you. I sense how much you want this and it seems to me you would be so good at it too!! Try to relax in the exam - easier said than done I know but it's the best way!!! You will be in my thoughts!

Schwinn
May 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks all! I really need this. I feel guilty saying this, with a new born on the way, but I'm absolutely miserable right now, and it all boils down to my job. I told my doctor I was thinking of learning a new language because I can't find anything in English to describe how much I hate my job. It's further compounded by the fact I leave at 5:45 am and get home at 7:45 pm (mind you, I leave about 1 1/2 hours earlier than I need to so I can go to the gym to get in shape to be a cop). Add that to a pay level that's half my wife's (I don't object to making less, I just wish I could pull my weight more). Right now, I feel like I won't be able to spend any time with my new child, or afford to splurge on him/her. And I want this more than anything I can think of in a long time (except my rally car, which I've been told I can buy in a few years if I make it to the force, given our financials will be better). It sucks dreading the morning. I really want to be able to look forward to going to work. And it will be nice having a 4 days on/4 days off schedule when Jr. is here. Right now, I'm not sleeping I'm so nervous, both about the interview, and the test on Sunday (realizing I've passed it 3 times already, but hating it.) I know I can do it, but self-doubt is racking me.

Anyway, I'm getting whiny now, so I just want to say thanks for the support guys! :grouphug: Oh, and Copper's, I wouldn't want to risk grabbing the wrong ones on the way to work. Nothing like slapping the cuffs on a perp against the wall and hearing, "Uh, officer? Why are they fuzzy?" "Don't ask and face the wall!"

Copper'sMom
May 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Oh, and Copper's, I wouldn't want to risk grabbing the wrong ones on the way to work. Nothing like slapping the cuffs on a perp against the wall and hearing, "Uh, officer? Why are they fuzzy?" "Don't ask and face the wall!"

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif That would be too funny!!!

Don't worry, Schwinn - you'll do fine!

Shamrock
May 3rd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Schwinn... like to also wish you good luck! All positive thoughts and wishes coming your way from here too.
Our fingers, toes and paws are crossed for your success in this venture. A very well deserved one it is, and one that I feel confident will be realized! :thumbs up

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
I don't know the whole story, but if you're trying to be a cop, I wish you tons of luck. You have to tell us what time so we can all send you vibes at that moment. (It works for exams, so it should work for interviews too, no?)

If I could have a funny cop stop me for speeding just ONE friggin' time, I'd love it.
http://bestsmileys.com/cars/2.gif

shannon1233A
May 3rd, 2005, 08:53 PM
Good luck Schwinn, keeping everything crossed, even my eyes! I know what it's like to want a job that bad. Your dream will come true!

Schwinn
May 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Well, got home from dinner last night (Cheryl's birthday), and while I was on the phone in one room, she was checking the messages in the other. Then she yelled out, "Toronto Police called!" After initial panic (because that's not usually what you want to hear), I got very excited. Turns out they want to interview me as well! Now, if I can just stop stressing about Sunday, things are looking up!!

Again, thanks for all your support, everyone. I can't tell you how much I want this, and your good wishes mean a lot!

Copper'sMom
May 6th, 2005, 10:13 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif Alright Schwinn!!!

Happy B-day to Cheryl!!! :party:

glasslass
May 6th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Best of luck Schwinn! Although, it's not luck that will see you through! You've worked hard for this! watch swinging pendant![/COLOR You're ready! You're definitely qualified! They NEED you! You deserve it! [COLOR=DarkOrange]watch swinging pendant! Think positive!

meb999
May 6th, 2005, 04:45 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/1.gif WOOHOO! How exciting!!

We're all rooting for you http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif

twinmommy
May 6th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Go Schwinn!
Go Schwinn!
Go Schwinn!

http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/silly-woohoo.gif

Good Luck, and Happy Birthday to Cheryl too!! :)

Schwinn
May 8th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Well, I passed the test today, and I still didn't enjoy it. I had to play ball tonight, and I can barely walk because my ankles hurt so bad. I'm on vaction this week, so I was going to spend the week jogging and taking a break from the gym, but I don't think it's a good idea to go limping into the police interview! Anyway, that's the update thus far. I'll let you know as more happens!

Prin
May 8th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Yey (so far). Good luck with the rest and rest up. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 9th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Good luck hope you get the job especially with a baby on the way. I've been doing the whole interview thing too for a while. So good luck to you !!!!

meb999
May 9th, 2005, 01:13 AM
GO SWINN! GO SWINN! GO GO GO SWINN!! http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/5.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/exercising/6.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/exercising/8.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/exercising/9.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/exercising/12.gif

Catt31
May 9th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Way to go Schwinn!!! Good luck dude!!!! The world needs more cops like you...... I had an Ahole last week.....what a jerk off!!! Anyways, thats a whole other story, don't want to hijack your thread!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug:

mona_b
May 9th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Shwinn,I wish you all the best...I have everything crossed..... :D

I know how much you want this.Just be prepared for the stress,being hit,bit,kicked,peed on,shot at,confronting a man who has beat his wife and you having to see her laying there.You getting a call having to go to a shoot out.Seeing bodies laying there.Loosing a comrad.Doing a search on a missing child and finding that child has been murdered.Having the female cops hit on you..... ;) :p ...Did I just type that?.....LOL

It's not going to be easy.I just want you to be prepared. :)

Schwinn
May 9th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks again, guys. And I know what you mean, Mona. I've talked to some friends on the force, so I know there are going to be tough days. During my test for my OCAP, one of the video's was me having to tell a woman her little girl was killed. I remeber telling someone it was the worst thing, but part of me was glad it was me because I felt I handled it right. The next one? Some girl who looked homeless, then looks up and said, "I can't believe he raped me and pushed me out of the car." There were a few other parts of the tests, but those were the toughest, and the most real. I got home and my mom called to asked how it went. I told her I think I just had my first tough day at work. But I digress...

I just spoke with Toronto today. I interview with them on Wednesday. I really miss sleeping...

mona_b
May 10th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Videos are nothing compared to the real thing....... :sad:

You miss sleeping????...LMAO....Just wait till the baby comes and you become a cop....Then we will talk....LOL

Good luck on Wednesday...... :)

Schwinn
May 11th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Toronto liked me and want to give me a second interview. Now tomorrow is York. This interview is the second one as well. The only thing is, if I'm not successful with York, then the process stops with Toronto as well. Very bogus. Anyway, just a quick update. Now I have to get back to Cheryl quizzing me!

babyrocky1
May 11th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Hey Schwinn, I just found this post or I would have wished you good luck before! It sounds like things are going great so far!!!! Good luck with the last paart. They will be lucky to have you :thumbs up

meb999
May 11th, 2005, 11:06 PM
woohoo!! :thumbs up :thumbs up

Schwinn
May 16th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Well, I screwed up again. This time the recruiter even said I had the experiences required, I had to be able to tell them in a story. They know I've got what they want, but I have to tell them? I asked what I had done wrong, and he said they weren't allowed to tell me. I am so freakin' depressed right now. My first interview with Toronto the day before went well, but because I was turned away by one force, I'm ineligible from all forces for 6 months. I don't get it. I don't know what I could do differently, I don't even know what questions they weren't happy with. I could go on, but I don't want to sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'm just tired of hearing my alarm go off and wishing I could go in a coma...

Eleni
May 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM
aw im sorry it diddnt go the way you want.

will you go thru it all again in 6 months??

I sure hope the next attempt you make goes better and you make it.

till then treat yourself to a nice evening out or something, you deserve it considering all the work that goes into what you ahve done!!

good work!

Eleni

Lizzie
May 16th, 2005, 12:09 PM
So sorry to hear about the flub with your interviwes. It seems like a really stressful process...one that doesn't seem to want to help you improve for next time.

I'm not clear on what the problem was though. Was it that you didn't want to tell them your experiences in a story format?? Or you didn't know how?

I'm confused as to what went wrong...perhaps we can offer advise if we know more about possible errors.

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I read over your posts and it is obvious that you really want to become a police officer. I would suggest that you go over your interviews in your mind and honestly ask yourself if perhaps your desire to become an officer was perhaps articulated a little too strongly. Could you possibly have raised the idea in the interviewer's mind that you might be more interested in the idea of being an officer rather than the reality? You posted that you have the required experience, you passed the physical requirements, so that really only leaves one area - the psychological testing part of the interview process. It is very easy to appear overly enthusiatic when you really want something. If this was the case, the interviewer would not have told you the reason. I hope that things go better next time should you try again.

Schwinn
May 16th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Basically, the interview was one where they ask, "Tell us about a time where you...". They said that a couple of my "stories" didn't contain all the info required. I've done tonnes of these interviews while I was in the bank, and was very good at them. That's why it is so vexing. There is obviously something specific they are looking for, but no one can tell me what. It is especially frustrating to be told they know I have the experiences they need, but I need to be able to tell them in the "proper" way.

And yes, I will keep trying. Especially since I know I'd make a good cop. I've worked too hard to quit, and I have a hard time quitting anything. But I have to wait another six months before I can get a new interview. I'm doing a mentoring program on Wednesday with Toronto, I'm going to see what they have to say. I went to another course last month, and they didn't seem to offer anything beyond what I had already done.

BMDLuver
May 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I'm so sorry about the interview. It's very frustrating I'm sure to be held back from doing something you love. I hope that the next round you achieve your goal. :grouphug:

SnowDancer
May 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Agree, they are looking for some information/insight that you are not providing - and whatever it is it is obviously the deal breaker. They don't want to tell you what it is as they need you to provide your answer, I guess, unrehearsed or coached - a natural response. I also worked in a bank - regular, merchant, and wealth management - the way my answers were interpreted were different depending on the function - far different working in the branch than for the CEO. Hope you pick up some insight at your mentoring session.

Schwinn
May 16th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I know what you are saying, SnowDancer, but this is just a straight-forward "tell us about...". I passed this one the first time, but I know longer work in banking. I now spend my days in my personal hell in a call centre. It is unfortunate, because I remember all my answers from the first time, but I am not allowed to use them because it has been more than two years since I worked in banking. I even had one officer express her frustration that she could not tell me what I was missing, since she knew that I had the proper life experiences. Unfortunately, my days now are spent leaving the house at 5:45 am, sitting on the phone all day, and coming home at 8 pm. I don't have a lot of face to face interaction. I have six months to rack my brain and try to find out EXACTLY what they are looking for. Hopefully I won't go psycho in this place in the meantime.

babyrocky1
May 16th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Im so sorry Schwinn, I know how frustrating this is cause I actualy have three friends trying! You go through the gruelling physical, and then tests, and then some thing inexplicable goes wrong!!! I dont think my frinends got as far as you did, two of them flubbed a part of the test were they had bits of info and had to put it together in a cohesive manner. That would have been earlier on in the process though wouldn't it? My other friend is a female over forty so the physicaal was hell, one time she failed the math, another time she failed the English! She talks too much and wrote her report the same way!!! IBut you got soooo close, what a pain, but don't give up! Its obviously what you really want and We all know you can do it!!! :thumbs up And another thing you judging by your posts, they/we, really need people like you that are concerned about others and society as a whole) :)

kandy
May 16th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I am so sorry to hear that you didn't get one of these jobs! I too think you would make a good cop! Hopefully by the time you get to try again, you will have discovered what it is that they were looking for. In the meantime, keep your head up! :thumbs up

CyberKitten
May 16th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I am so sorry to hear your news Schwinn!! ((((Schwinn))) That sounds so frustrating!! Is there no way you can find out what it is they are looking for? That seems so unfair!!! Other police officers who passed the test for example? Can you ask them?

I am thinking of how I had to write MCATS for med school and there are test booklets so you have a good idea of what the questions will be - or at least the type. The same is true for Bar Admission courses. They should offer similar courses for would be police officers. It is not fair otherwise!

Luvmypit
May 16th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Shwinn Im so sorry! I KNOW you make a great cop! And its only a matter of time. You will get where you want as long as you don't give up. The process is painstaking and once you pass all of them you will feel so good that all that has happened to get you there will make it that much more rewarding.

You may feel stuck at your job but you won't be there forever and take comfort in that. You want to be somewhere you can get there.

We believe in you!

meb999
May 16th, 2005, 11:46 PM
awwww, that sucks Schwinn... I wish I had something absolutly brilliant to tell you, but the only advice I can offer is not to give up. third time's a charm -- it took one of my bf's friends 4 tries before getting into the montreal police force. You can do it, just tuff it out another 6 months at your sucky job. http://bestsmileys.com/office1/10.gif

I know this is going to sound corny, but I kinda believe that things happen for a reason, maybe this wasn't the right time for you, with the baby on the way and everything.....
I was heart broken when I didn't get into Law at McGill, and turns out that I'm much happier in my school then I would have been at McGill anyways...

Don't give up, good things come to those who wait!

Bearsmom
May 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Rats, Schwinn, I was gunning (no pun intended) for you. Apply under the Freedom of Information Act, stating you want the results of your interview, and you will get your responses (under the FOI, they HAVE to release the results (they will block out names, etc.).

Friend of mine did that, and it acted as a bonus for her because when asked at the next interview what she did to improve herself, that was her answer, and she was hired. (it took her almost 12 tries before she got hired).

Good luck, bud.

Cactus Flower
May 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Oooh good advice, BearsMom. Hope they have a similar act where Schwinn is.

Schwinn, I'm very sorry you're facing this huge disappointment. I agree that perhaps with the baby coming along, this might not be the best timing, anyway? Can that be any comfort to you?

I wonder if there is a chat group or message board somewhere for people in law enforcement. Maybe you could get some valuable advice from one of those, and people would be more forthcoming about it, since they would be relatively "anonymous" out there in cyberspace.

Anyone know of any?

Schwinn
May 18th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks, BearsMom. My only concern would be would it tick off the wrong people? I'm still going to the mentoring course tonight with Toronto to see what they have to say. I took another course on this in April, and thought I would be okay. Apparently, I was wrong.

I'm not a big believer in "everything happens for a reason". That, or fate. Cheryl believes in both. Unfortunately, one of the reasons I want to get on now is because of the baby. I get up at 5, and I get home at 7:30, so I really won't be seeing the baby during the week. I was looking forward to being home four days of the week, rather than two, and being able to help out Cheryl more. I'm just tired of having the alarm wake me up and wishing I had some kind of brutal illness that kept me from getting up and going to work.

Bearsmom
May 18th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Careful what you wish for....

You will not piss anyone off, however, when asked "how did you improve yourself from the last interview?", you can say that I applied under FOI to find out where I'm going wrong as I really want this job, and need every available resource to achieve it.

Let me know if you need any other info.

CyberKitten
May 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Is a mentoring course like a prep course Schwinn? Is there anyone there who can perhaps help you to understand what it is you did in the interview? I am sure it is some "little thing" that they were looking for and I know that can be soooo frustrating!!!

I wish I could give you a hugh and tell you it'll be OK but as was already said, sometimes thing happen for a reason and I am hopeful it will work out in the end!

Shamrock
May 18th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Oh, Schwinn, I'm sorry this didnt work out as you hoped! What a disapointment. :sorry:
I agree that your perserverance will pay off for you somewhere down the road.. and also that you have a right to know what the stumbling block is.
How can you address the problem when you dont know the issue?
Good luck to you with this.
I feel that in spite of setbacks, your determination and desire WILL see this goal realized for you.

Schwinn
May 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM
The mentoring is exactly like a prep course, and only Toronto offers it. I went last night, and I wish I had known about it before. For example, one question I think I failed was, "Tell us about a time where someone told you how to do something and you did it". I talked about someone at work told me how to do something I didn't know about. Last night I found out they are actually looking for something you thought you could do, tried, failed, then asked how to do it and tried again. The officer leading the group said that she felt it wasn't fair that we could not find out the exact questions before hand, but those were the rules. She also said that 10% of the people who don't take the mentoring pass, 50% who take the mentoring pass, and 90% of those who fail the interview, take the mentoring and then take the interview again pass. I am very frustrated, but I feel a lot better today. I now have some direction as to what I did wrong. It's the waiting that is going to kill me, and this job. I'll just have to stick it out and keep going to the gym to keep getting in better shape. Thanks again, everyone.

Prin
May 19th, 2005, 12:34 PM
:sorry: Want us to go kick their a**es? Knock some sense into 'em? I hope you get it next time. You can't apply somewhere else? (I guess that would involve moving, right?)

Schwinn
May 19th, 2005, 02:51 PM
:sorry: Want us to go kick their a**es? Knock some sense into 'em? I hope you get it next time. You can't apply somewhere else? (I guess that would involve moving, right?)

Somehow, sending the Pets Posse out to beat them up doesn't seem to be the way to get on the police force. But thanks for the offer!

And no, I can't apply anywhere else in Ontario. You fail one, you fail them all. That's the bogus part. Especially since Toronto wants me to move on to the next step (and I have to tell them I failed, and they will say, "oh, never mind then") :sad: