Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pros and Cons of Chihuahua's

busgirl
May 3rd, 2005, 06:03 AM
Hi just wondering if people can give me some information on Chihuahua's. I would like to know how people who own them feel about them.

thanks

LavenderRott
May 3rd, 2005, 08:12 AM
My mom has one and he is a cute little bugger. A wee bit too small for my liking - I am a rottweiler enthusiast. He gets cold easy and can most often be found napping under a pile of blankets kept on the couch. He is afraid of nothing and has no problem stealing rawhides from Mom's greyhound.

Do your homework and make sure that you do not buy a puppy from a pet shop or an add in the paper. My mom got hers from a pet shop and pays plenty every month to get the little guy dipped for mange every month.

Lizzie
May 3rd, 2005, 08:36 AM
I suggest you contact some registered breeders to discuss in detail the suitability of a chihuahua for your lifestyle. There are also a bunch of Web sites online that can help you decide what's the best breed for you, based again on lifestyle.

Chi's are not a dog for everyone. They are a one person sort of dog--they find one family member they like and become their own dog.

They are not good with children as they are extremely fragile.

They do NOT like to be left alone as they are companion dogs. They want and NEED to be with you.

They are fearless so they require attention and protection from harming themselves. They think they are a big dog...even though we know they are not!

If you do not buy a chi from a reputable breeder you run the risk of having a dog with many health problems...

They are hard to train, as with most small breed dogs.

They tend to be a nervous dog, hence their drive to form a bond with one person rather than many.

They are a great dog for someone without children and the time to devote to sharing a life together with it.

Grissom's Mom
May 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hi there. We have a chihuahua and he's a great dog for my hubby and I. We do not have children and it is best not to have kids with a dog this small. Grissom has bonded to both my husband and I, although when we are in a new environment, his preference is to stick with me.
As for being hard to train and nervous, that is not true in our case or any other purebred owners we have met. Sure, he is nervous in a new setting for about a minute until he gets familiar with the area but other than that, he's fine. It all depends how you treat them too. If you carry them everywhere and fuss over them, he'll be a mama's boy. We treat Grissom like a dog. He goes to puppy classes with various size puppies and handles himself fine. He was not difficult to train at all and is very well behaved. He picks up commands very quickly. Being difficult to train is a myth. It's all in the effort you put into it. Chi's are very smart.

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
I don't have much to add except that they are usually not good at the vet. If you have one bad experience at the vet it's better to put a muzzle on before you get inside the next time. It's hard to get a muzzle on those little guys when they're already biting... :eek:

Princesss04
May 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
My aunt had one named Oofer. :D Anyway it was a demon dog! :eek: :evil: They made that dog so mean. It would hump everything. I MEAN EVERYTHING! :D When you would sleep at night it sleep in between your legs and if you moved it growled and would try to bite you. I think hers was like this because it was not bred right and had many aggression problems. So I say all of that to say this do your homework and DO NOT BUY FROM A PET STORE! Find a good breeder that only breeds Chi, and they only have ONE litter and they stay inside and are part of the family! Not used to make money. Both mother and father should have papers and you should be able to see them both. If not there is something wrong. :D Good luck! :D

Gazoo
May 4th, 2005, 08:34 PM
This a great site with all kinds of HONEST info. about breeds. :thumbs up

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html

here's a link to the chi-hua-hua

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/chihuahuas.html

busgirl
May 4th, 2005, 09:43 PM
thanks for the info

Gazoo
May 4th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Noblem ;)