Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy supplier

coppperbelle
May 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
I went to my vets tonight and on the way passed a place that gives dog obedience training. They also sell dog food and supplies and puppies. I was so disgusted. The puppies are in tiny crates in front of the window. IF the sun shines in it must get very hot in there and they have no protection.
One pup was so large it couldn't stand in its cage.
I went in one day to buy a leash. I didn't want to but it is the only place around that sells these training leashes. I could not believe the place. It was crowded, they were evaluating dogs in the entrance way, a guy was talking about selling his dog because he couldn't train it. It was a zoo. I bought my leash and got out. That time their were only little dogs and the cages were not in front of the window. Tonight they had large breed dogs like labs and dobermans. Forget about advising our local shelter. They are worse than this school. Poor pups don't have a chance. :mad:

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
It sounds horrible! Did you ask where the puppies came from?? (Like they;d ever say from a puppy mill). That web site I posted the other day - friskpetsonline or whatever it was (seems accessible only in NB) - was advertising again and they are selling poodles today! Makes me so sick!! They are located near the Quebec (aka puppy mill haven)border so you just know where these cute little guys came from:

BoxerRescueMTL
May 2nd, 2005, 10:32 PM
copperbelle..is this place in Greenfield Park? it sounds very familiar..

coppperbelle
May 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM
copperbelle..is this place in Greenfield Park? it sounds very familiar..

Yes it is!

BMDLuver
May 3rd, 2005, 07:56 AM
We've had two dogs with serious health issues from this location I believe. Both parties payed very high prices for purebreds who both required extensive surgery on hips, elbow etc.. The parties thought he was on the up and up as of course, he's a training facility, he must be great. :sad: So far I've heard he has had Danes, Labs,and Bostons. Can you pm me who it is as I know he's southshore but not sure it was Greenfield Park. Thanks.

BoxerRescueMTL
May 3rd, 2005, 09:33 AM
I've been driving by this place since I was a kid, I grew up in Greenfield Park. In the summer, they used to have the puppies outside in cages in the hot sun. I was a kid then, couldn't do much about it...

I met a woman at the dog park who had what she said was a purebred rottie, however, he was DEFINITELY mixed with Lab. She got him from this place. She would practically kick the heck out of him henever he didn't obey her-she was very proud to say that she learned everything she knows from this place and that she is part of their dog training club, or whatever.

An aquaintance of mine left his dog to be boarded there for a weekend. He came back to find his dog covered in feces, scared and hungry.

They have another training facility a little bit more out in the country. Wouldn't wanna see what goes on there, where noone can see.

meb999
May 3rd, 2005, 09:41 AM
ooooooo! that place is TERRIBLE!!! They have ads in the local paper (courrier du Sud) every weekend. They get their dogs from BYB -- not from puppymills. They have a website that tells you when they will receive litters and which breed....it disgusting :yuck:

The last time I walked by, the owner/trainer (at least I assume it's the owner...) was explaining to lady out in from of the store, that when her bichon gets out of control she should hang it for a few seconds-- he then grabbed the leash and lifted it until the dog was hanging in mid air :eek: :eek: :eek:

coppperbelle
May 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM
I went to their web site today and saw who the owner is. He is someone I have seen there often. Very macho looking guy in a little suit.
I guess he has been getting away with selling puppies in the window for a long time and will continue to do so. The conditions are awful. Now that you mention it I do remember a time when the puppies were outside and up for sale.
What can be done? The shelter responsible for Greenfield Park will do nothing. :mad:

wjranch
May 3rd, 2005, 08:02 PM
You can try these links and see if there are some reporting guidelines that these folks recommend...
link 1 - http://www.cappdt.ca/
link 2 - http://www.nccpd.org/about.html

You could also put in a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in regards to the business he's running.

I hope something can be done about this.... I hate to see Dobie's being BYBred with no regard to their health!! Have they never heard of Cardiomyopathy!!!???? Moron's like that really Pi** me off! :mad:

BoxerRescueMTL
May 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
I've never been inside the place myself, so I don't know how bad it is inside. It just oozes BAD from the outside though.

Copperbelle, is there anything that can get them in trouble inside? Or is it just typical Quebec petsore (which in itself is wrong)? Because we would need something concrete to complain about...

BoxerRescueMTL
May 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
May 2, 2005

German Shepherd Dog

May 5, 2005

Dobermann, Golden

May 6, 2005

Boxer, Dalmatian

May 9, 2005

Basset, Yellow Labrador

May 13, 2005

Chocolate Labrador

May 20, 2005

German Shepherd Dog

May 21, 2005

Golden

May 31, 2005

Chocolate Labrador

June 6, 2005

West Highland White Terrier

June 10, 2005

Irish Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

June 16, 2005

Australian Shepherd

July 2005

English Pointer

Availables puppies :

American cocker spaniel, Australian cattle dog, Australian Shepherd, Basset Hound, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bichon frise, Bouvier des Flandres, Corgi, Dobermann, Fox terrier, German shepherd dog, Golden, Jack Russell Terrier, Lassa apso, Maltese, Pomeranian, Schnauzer, Shetland, Shih Tzu.

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Disgusting. I have heard of another similar place where they sell "pretrained" dogs and apparently they beat the dogs into submission... They don't have classes- they're one of those places where you drop your dog off and pick it up 3 months later "trained"... :mad:

coppperbelle
May 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
I don't go inside often. In fact in all the years it has been open I have been in maybe twice. The first time was years ago. A few months ago I went in to buy the leash. The dogs were in cages against the wall. The cages are not large and the dogs were dirty and matted looking. At the time all the dogs were small.
Last night I was driving by and noticed the puppies stacked in cages on top of each other. There was one puppy on the top row that was way too large for his cage and could not stand up. He would have to lay down of sit all the time.
What again grabbed my attention last night was that the cages are located in front of a large plate glass window. The sun beats in on them as there is absolutely no protection.
I suspect that there had been a complaint because originally the cages were in front of the window. They moved them against a wall and now they are back. I guess they want to sell their puppies and in the window there is better exposure.

BoxerRescueMTL
May 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
nobody..NOBODY, should be pumping out puppies like this!! What freakin planet do they live on?!?! It's SICKENING. How the hell are we supposed to keep up with them??? It's extremely discouraging to rescuers.

Prin, this place does the away from home training thing too. My neighbor sends his dogs there, a month or so at a time. They come back as robo-dogs. It's sick.

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Jemma is a robo dog-- Her previous owner got her trained (she WENT too)... I thought it was good at first but then I realized I can't train her in sessions at all because she gets too submissive and pees. I thought it was my style she didn't agree with but then I realized it was any time I tried to teach her something in a "trainy" way. Really sad. I can only teach her stuff by accident now... She can't realize I am trying to teach her. :rolleyes:

coppperbelle
May 3rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately I cannot prove anything about their supposed training methods but I do not like the atmosphere at all. They are supposedly members of the
"WUSV, RCBA (Schutzhund), CKC (Canada, États-Unis)" What I love is that they are Canadian Kennel Club members in Canada and the United states. I don't believe that is possible. This is from their web site by the way.

CyberKitten
May 3rd, 2005, 09:05 PM
So, ow do I actually get to view their website? (or for privacy/legal issues, are you not posting it?)

BMDLuver
May 4th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately I cannot prove anything about their supposed training methods but I do not like the atmosphere at all. They are supposedly members of the
"WUSV, RCBA (Schutzhund), CKC (Canada, États-Unis)" What I love is that they are Canadian Kennel Club members in Canada and the United states. I don't believe that is possible. This is from their web site by the way.
CKC might actually be Continental Kennel Club not Canadian Kennel Club.

PamperedPets
May 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM
cooperbelle seems we go to the same vet - :thumbs up and I too have seen this ...

I also have heard so many bad things that go on in there - but it's heresay

so no comment :mad:

meb999
May 4th, 2005, 11:47 AM
they're also in the Dogs in Canda magazine (at least, they were last year...I don't know about this year) :mad:

When I had seen the 'trainer' hang that bichon, I had called the SPCA and they said there was nothing they could do about that place.

I had hear from a Rottie owner (brilliant guy who was EXTREMELY proud to announce that he trained his dog there....his dog was VERY badly behaved!!)at the dog park that the vet's office (there's 2 in that strip mall....the one that's been there the longest) is associated with that 'training' facility....doesn't mean it's true but it's something to think about....

Writing4Fun
May 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM
So, ow do I actually get to view their website? (or for privacy/legal issues, are you not posting it?)
I'd like to see a link as well - wondering if it's the same bad trainer I encountered years ago. Could someone please PM the link to me?

kandy
May 4th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I am definitely not up on laws governing pet stores - and certainly not Canadian ones - but aren't there any laws about living conditions? Surely the animal by-laws don't condone keeping a pet in a cage that is too small?? :confused: Not to mention lack of food and water, etc.??? Of course, it sounds like this place is getting the business and as I saw someone else said on another post - it is a supply vs demand business. If people wouldn't buy pets from places like this, they wouldn't have enough business to keep doing it.

coppperbelle
May 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM
they're also in the Dogs in Canda magazine (at least, they were last year...I don't know about this year) :mad:

When I had seen the 'trainer' hang that bichon, I had called the SPCA and they said there was nothing they could do about that place.

I had hear from a Rottie owner (brilliant guy who was EXTREMELY proud to announce that he trained his dog there....his dog was VERY badly behaved!!)at the dog park that the vet's office (there's 2 in that strip mall....the one that's been there the longest) is associated with that 'training' facility....doesn't mean it's true but it's something to think about....

I am not so sure that the vet you are talking about is associated with the training facility. If someone has proof I would like to know. :(

BoxerRescueMTL
May 4th, 2005, 12:57 PM
which vet? the older one? the older one's been there since the eighties, the newer one hasn't been there as long..

coppperbelle
May 4th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I am referring to the one that has been there since the 80's

meb999
May 5th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I'm talking about the guy that's been there since the eighties....Honestly though, I don't know if what that guy told me was right (he didn't seem like a real trustworthy kinda guy) -- the best way to find out is to ask your vet if it's true...