Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat and Grass

MrsNorris151
May 2nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
I have been letting my little girl play in the front yard for 15 minutes each day. She always goes and starts munching away on grass. Well, today when I went to check on her she was choking. At least that is what I assumed. She looked like she was battling a hairball (but she isn't a year old yet and I havn't seen her have a hairball attack yet) But after a few seconds of her struggling, I pounded on her back a few times and a huge wad of grass came up. Well, I don't know what she thought of it but she ran off to hide under my bed. Everytime I try to approach her she cries and runs off. I attempted to pick her up but she squirmed and broke free. Was I supposed to let her battle the choking by herself or was I right to try and un-choke her? Maybe pounding on her back isn't the way to go. Can someone give me a few pointers on how to deal with a choking cat?

Blaze01
May 3rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
I dont know why your cat choked but i bought Blaze some cat grass from petsmart and he eat alot of it...carried it around the house and then when i was at work he completley destroyed it...there was grass and dirt everywhere! I think if i saw Blaze was choking i would do my best to help him...maybe you just scared the crap out of her?

JDG
May 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
I agree with Blaze, you might have just scared the bejeebies out of your cat.

You used the word 'pounded' rather than say 'patted'. . .perhaps you might have used a tad bit too much force trying to dislodge the grass. . . . Sometimes we just don't know our own strength. . .

I just got my kittens, and I worry when I can't see them. . .or do not know the sound of the toy they are playing with. . . infact I get up in the middle of the night to check on them. . . I probably would have done the same thing you did. . . ;)