Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitten care

moo-goo
May 2nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
i am taking on a foster family tomorrow and was hoping some of you could give me some guidelines about kittens.

here is the situation: a neighbour's cat escaped before she had been spayed. she now has 3 kittens, and i have agreed to take care of the family for the next month as she is unable to for this time.

what i am wondering is things like - when do they start walking? stop weaning? start eating food? using litter? and when should i start supplying these things/getting them using them? and anything else you think i might need to know!

thanks.

moo-goo
May 5th, 2005, 12:20 AM
wow, nobody has anything to advise here??

Safyre
May 5th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I'm thinking that no one has responded because: your post was over looked, or, these typoes of questions have been answered many times.
Regardless, I've never had little kittens, but I can try to give some of the information.
When do they start walking: Around 2-3 weeks. my friends cat had only one kitten, took him till 3 1/5 weeks, as he had no litter mates to get him going.
When do they wean: Varies. Sometimes you will have to help the mom wean them. I'll leave that answer for someone more experienced than myself.
Litter: I know that you cannot use clumping cat litter, it is dangerous for thier little tummies.
Havn't gotten that far with the friends kitten, so I am unsure of the answer myself.

In the search, type kitten care and see what ya find, should be a whole bunch of threads for ya, hopefully they will help

Prin
May 5th, 2005, 01:03 AM
We usually answer even if the thread is a repetitive one. I'm not the one to answer this (doggie devotee).. But Lucky and CK should have answers for you.

You have a good heart for helping these kitties. :)

chico2
May 5th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I too really have no advice,since my cats(males)never had kittens...but I believe you should make sure all kittens have a turn at a nipple and that mom seems to take good care of her babies.
Also do not buy clumping litter,since it can be very harmful to little ones.

Lucky Rescue
May 5th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Sorry I didnt' see your post!

Kittens usually start opening their eyes at 10 days to 2 weeks, but this can vary a lot.

You can start weaning them at 4 or 5 weeks, but there is no hurry. Get canned kitten food and mix a little warm water in to make it sloppy. Put it in a flat dish and bring the kittens to it. If they don't seem interested, put a little on your finger and touch it to their mouths.

They should start using the litterbox after they begin eating, since Mom will no longer clean them then. Make sure the litterbox has very low sides so they can get it, and that it's very close to them. You don't need to littertrain them as their mom will do that.

It's very nice of you to care for this kitty family, but you should do it only on the condition that the owners spay their cat before she has another litter for you to take care of. Plus it's kitten season and there is no reason to have more litters.

The mother cat can get pregnant in as little as 4 weeks after giving birth, so watch her very carefully until she spayed, which she can be after her milk dries up.

CyberKitten
May 6th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I did not see your post till now - have been super busy!!! Go to kittenrescue.com or kitten-rescue.org - there is more in those web sites than I can type just now.