Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hurray for Alex

babyrocky1
May 2nd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Our Friend Alex from City t.v. has been presented with an award by the organizers of Be kind To Pets Week, for her coverage of the "pit bull issue" when acccepting the award Alex spoke of taking a position that was unpopular at the time (no kidding) but said she felt strongly that bill 132 would not make people safer from dangerous dogs and then they showed the infamouse find the pit bull #16 clip!
That creep must cringe everytime thats aired!!!! Gotta like that! Oh and a pit bull won an award for his work in therapy!!!! :love: :thumbs up

Dukieboy
May 3rd, 2005, 08:18 AM
Hershey the pitbull that won the award yesterday is on the front page of Metro, the free daily newspaper. What a sweetie boy!!!!

Schwinn
May 3rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
I couldn't believe it when I saw the picture on the front of the Metro. That's the Toronto Star's free commuter paper!! Never thought I would see that!

babyrocky1
May 3rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
Thats great, I cnt believe Im going to run around and try and get a copy of the Metro Toady. I wish you guys would have seen the coverage it was very cool to see the awards and hear Alexes speach!

twodogsandacat
May 3rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Hershey is also on the front page of the second section of the Star - HUGE PICTURE - (bigger than any they ever printed of Wa Wa Bryant). A beautiful picture and great job Hershey, you’re the best. :thumbs up

I am so happy that Alex Pierson won an award. :thumbs up Not only is she beautiful but she is a heck of a reporter. When she caught Bryant in the ‘number 16’ lie I would have kissed the television – but Alison will leave me if she catches me doing that – again.

bluntman
May 3rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
I hope this award will inspire Alex to keep on doing what she belives in, and not give into peer pressure and ignorance. Not only was Hershey on the front page of metro, but he's also on the front page of the Star's GTA section, I just bought my first Star in well over 6 months. I wonder how many reporter's who jumped on the ban the pits, bandwagon will get an award this year? None I hope.

babyrocky1
May 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hey thats great about Hershey!!! Gotta go buy the star, don't think Ive ever posted that before tee heee! :crazy:

twodogsandacat
May 6th, 2005, 07:02 AM
This appeared in todays editorial section of the Star.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1115329820360&call_pageid=968332189003&col=968350116895

Nice to see pit bull getting a good rap
Honouring the city's four-legged heroes
Photo, May 3.

I felt true warmth in my heart when I flipped through Tuesday's GTA section and saw the picture of Hershey and Jennifer Waite, commemorating our four-legged friends and their human counterparts for performing acts of bravery. In a ceremony launching Be Kind to Animals Week, it's a relief to see a pit bull receive a good rap for a change.

I find it worrisome when on Aug. 29 of this year, Bill 132 will resonate among all who commend Attorney-General Michael Bryant and cast a dark cloud once again on all responsible pit bull owners of Ontario.

I'm a dog owner of two beautiful miniature Pinschers and don't have a problem with legislation that will assist in the prosecution of irresponsible dog owners/breeders and dangerous dogs. I do have a problem with breed specific legislation that has a history of failure.

We already are seeing a trend where pit bulls are overcrowding shelters due to owners abandoning the dogs or, worse, death; just recently in the case of two small pit bull puppies found dead in Lake Ontario by a local woman.

Pit bulls can be caring and loving pets who can also assist our communities as seen in the case of Hershey, who was previously abused by his breeder and is now a St. John Ambulance therapy dog.

Dukieboy
May 6th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Good letter. :thumbs up

glasslass
May 6th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I couldn't bring up the article because it requires you to be registered. But, I get the gist of it from reading everyone's posts. Wonderful on both coverages!

babyrocky1
May 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
That was a great letter and nice to see it came from a someone other than a pit bull owner! A friend just leant me some current dog magazines with some great anti-BSL articles in them, Ill post you guys some highlights when I get home from work!

twodogsandacat
May 13th, 2005, 08:03 AM
I have just found an online picture of Hershey and thought I would post it so everybody can see this 'inherently dangerous' animal.

He sure takes a better picture than that baby Bryant.

twodogsandacat
May 13th, 2005, 08:07 AM
That was a great letter and nice to see it came from a someone other than a pit bull owner! A friend just leant me some current dog magazines with some great anti-BSL articles in them, Ill post you guys some highlights when I get home from work!

What magazines and what months are they? Another group suggested buying some extra to leave in dentist offices etc so maybe a few more people can read something other than what the newspapers tell.

babyrocky1
May 13th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Oh Two Dogs, glad you reminded me, Dogs in Canada, May issue, Article called Breed Bans, the tip of the iceberg. Some of the sub titles "The Hearings Were No One Was Heard" another Response from the Staffy Bull Terrier Club, Ban in effect, yet breed specific leg is an Ineffective way of dealing with the problem, etc. etc.
Modern Dog, spring issue, DEVIL DOG will the real devil please stand up "Legislation Banning Specific Breeds will never work in the long run." etc. etc. Okay this next ones a little different. This is a Hip Hop magazine called POUND it features a guy, a Hip Hop type guy who is a pit bull owner, who has put together a book about pitties, trying to educate people about them. the Magazine is free but Im not sure were to find it. Soeone told me to try the "head shops on Queen West" I think this is the most positive article of all in a way cause this guy is down on irresponsible owners and obviously has the younger macho male reader that we need to get through to, probably wouldn't go well in the dentists office though, but Id like to talk to the guy and see if hes thinking of doing some fund-raisers or whatever. I really want to find his book. Sorry for the messy post-Rockys crying to go out-duty calls, Ill give more info later!! sorryfor the wait :)

babyrocky1
May 13th, 2005, 05:19 PM
The magazine, Pound, is free. Im going to find out were to get it when their office opens on Monday. The Artist(Paul 107) doesn't have a pit bull he has a staffy bull. The book is about Pit bulls and its called Bully. Heres a quote from the mag. What motivated you to write Bully? It's a combination of things. I had just finished All-City and I didn't want to make another hip-hop book right away. I always wanted to make a record but I can't rap, sing or program drums so I threw my dream right out the window. I was hating working on the magazines at the time because I didn't want to deal with advertisers anymore and I was spending a lot of time with my dog. I noticed people giving me dirty looks when I was walking him, like he's a menace to society. You need to understand my dog is little: he looks like a Jack Russell on steroids. I started researching dog bite statistics and it's crazy skewed how the public perception is completely off. So I thought, 'lets make a scrapbook celebrating the bully breeds!" So the book is a collection of art, photos, illustration and interviews with people involved with these dogs. I ended up doing a section about fighting breed specific legislation and I peppered the book with some advice about raising a pup as a bonus.