Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Disneyland

Shamrock
May 2nd, 2005, 04:37 PM
I am now considering taking my daughter and grand-daughter to Disneyland this summer. The little one is nine- an absolute perfect age for this, I think.
The exchange rate is fairly good comparerd to other years.

Has anyone been? Did you find it a good destination for both adults and kids?
I've heard some good things.. also that it's horribly over-priced.

What I am wondering is... if its "really" a hectic place?
I expect it be crowded and some long lineups..but I dont want to go if it's just a stressful ordeal..
I actually prefer more tranquil scenic type vacations,.but this year is...special.

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 04:47 PM
Disneyland or Disney World. I've been to the 1st way back when it was the only Disney park - I was a mere child then tho, lol The other many times and I still like it - love Epcot better these days!

STAMPDesigns
May 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
While growing up in FL we went to Disney (that I remember) three different times. Each time was a new experience because it seems as though they were always adding something new. It was always hectic, line ups etc, but well worth it, at least in my opinion. I have some great memories of our trips there, but I think the one that stands out the most was my dad's favorite ride being "It's a Small Word" and him being so impatient in line!

BMDLuver
May 2nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
My husband and myself went to the one in california a few years ago. I'm not sure that a 9 year old would have the patience to wait 3 hours in line for a ride. It was grueling and hot. We gave up on several of the water rides as it was a 4 hour wait minimal. I had a far better time at Marineland where I got to touch live dolphins, manta rays and other neat creatures. It cost a third of Disney for a two day pass and I went back a second day. We also went to Catalina Island and snorkelled. We swam with Sand Sharks. It was great and much cheaper than Disney. Just some food for thought.

lilith_rizel
May 2nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
I went when I was in 3rd grade, then again when I was 17, loved it both times. I actually was trying to talk James into going when Judith is about 4, but he said no and to wait till she was older, I was hoping he would say OK, because I really wanted to go......... :rolleyes:

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 05:43 PM
My boyfriend and I are the ONLY people we know who haven't been. Judging by the reactions we get, it appears to be the experience of a lifetime. :)

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 05:47 PM
I think 9 is not too bad an age for Dinsey. Anything above 8 is probably good. Earlier and they forget or they get tired. You coud always go off season when the lines are less. They now have a system called FastPass(if I have the name correct) where you get your pass for a popular attraction (Splash Mtn, Pirates of the Car, the train on e- name escapes me, lol) and it tells you when to return., You leave the line and go to attractions with shorter or no lines or go eat and there is no line up probs.

I really think the food is not so hot at Disney and way overpriced. (I once weent with someone who sneaked in egg salad sandwiches - best food I ever had at Disney) but you cannot do that now b/c they search bags. (post 911 et al). There is not too bad a food court at Epcot- foods of the world. So one could eat there. I guess it all depends what you like.

I like "It's a Small World" too but also like Splash Mtn and the Pirates of the Caribbean. And when I 1st went to Disneyland, the President's Hall has Abe Lincoln seliber the Gettysburg Address and now it is snippits from a few Presidents. I liked the original.

The 1st time I went to Epcot, I was very unimpressed!! But it was new. Now they have added some great pavilions and attractions - all corporately sponsred of course by the Kodak one lets you send email of yourself and another one (froget which Canon maybe?) lets you edit a picture you take of youtrself so you are part of an animal. I chose a cat of course!

Anyway, that's my review, lol

Also, you should stay near at a hotel that has a shuttle service and not worry about parking. Or stay right on site tho that can be expensive. I went twice from my folks' home where we came and went in the same say (it is an hr and half drive) but it was too exhausting and I would not do it again.

If you do go to Fla, also see Busch Gardens!

Shamrock
May 4th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks for that information, all. This is all good food for thought.
StampDesigns... that really made me smile...your dad impatient waiting in line for his favorite ride. :) How sweet.

I was actually referring to the California Disney, should have clarifed that.
I will talk to my daughter Colleen some more.. she what she feels. She had mentioned the possibility of going off-season.. and also the Marineland as an alternative.
I have to admit I dont quite have the same stamina for endless waits in lineups that I once did. That 'Fast Pass" is something that could help a whole lot though.
Cyberkitten, I have actually been to Florida once, not Disney.. but did see Busch Gardens. Loved it.
Havent even started any research yet.. as I wasnt sure about this as a destination.
Some destination is in order, at any rate. I now feel strongly compelled to take a trip - due a series of unfortunate events....
I'd mentioned in another thread that my husband declined a vacation, stating he didnt want to fly, and there was no where he wanted to go.
Apparently, he meant with me. :sad:

Four days later he agreed to go on a four day trip to Las Vegas for a hockey tournament with his team-mates ( old-timers)
How are they getting there? Flying.
When is it? Though he had nothing to do with the booking dates whatsoever.. yes, its our anniverary weekend. He didnt realize this... and said they 'talked him into it". uh-huh.. :mad:
A stunning blow, from which I'm sure I will recover - eventually:rolleyes:

Thanks again for your feedback, I'll let you know the final choice.
( maybe a one year trek in the Australian Outback - alone.) LOL!

raingirl
May 4th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I went to the one in florida once, when I was 19. I was with my parents and it was the first family vacation we had ever been on. We were all talking about what "park" we wanted to go to and I FOUGHT to go to disney world. My parents were like "you won't like it as you are too old". Yeah right! I loved it!

And to tell you the truth, we went and it wasn't busy or hectic at all. The lines were shorter than at Canada's wonder land (where I've had season passes for over 10 years!).

It was an amazing place. But...skip "It's a small world after all". It wasn't worth it.

Karin
May 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM
The mouse,(Disney), is not enviromentally friendly. They do employ a great many people,than lay them off. 1200 people a day move to Florida. The mouse is/was one attraction for the promise of employment but with constant firing & hiring it is clear they are beating the system by not paying dues to the employees.
Back to the enviroment. Disney, the great mouse...has destroyed natural wetlands to enhance their attraction. All for money. One third of prime central Florida land is owned by the mouse company. Us natives gave up long ago for a future with the company. In the beginning, it was great. Now the real little people suffer. Now we have more people flocking here on a promise and left out cold for us to support.

Nuff' said...I hate the mouse house for good reasons.

Prin
May 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM
OUCH. We should do a pets.ca cruise to Alaska. Pets allowed of course... :)

Shamrock
May 4th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Great idea, Prin! LOL...love it! :crazy:
You know how many cruises have a "theme".. this could be a pet theme. ( on a pet-friendly ship,of course) ;)
The midnight buffet would contain delicious offerings for both animal and human guests. (seperately, of course)
A pool for pets, alongside the regular for the water lovers to frolic in.
Chocolates left on our pillows - doggie or kitty treat on theirs.. ;)

Prin
May 4th, 2005, 10:13 PM
ooooh and the top deck will be all grass, and there will be a free doggy spa where you can learn to groom like a pro. And the pool of course. :) And free training lessons. And vacuuming of the pillows!!

Cactus Flower
May 4th, 2005, 10:51 PM
DisneyWorld is in Florida, DisneyLand is in California. I've been to Dworld and had a really great time. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride WooooHoooooooo!!!!!!!!.
Ok, I was a kid :o .
Loved the Haunted Mansion.
Don't go to It's a Small World, unless you want the song stuck in your head for WEEKS.
Pirates of the Carribean was great, too.
And Space Mountain! Best 10 seconds I've ever had on a ride LOL.

Yes, the lines were VERY long.

my husband declined a vacation, stating he didnt want to fly, and there was no where he wanted to go. Apparently, he meant with me.
Shamrock that is heartbreaking!

Schwinn
May 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM
We went to Disney World when we were in Fl for a couple of weeks two years ago. Honestly, I was kind of bored. I thought it was more for little kids than anything else (well, duh!). Not a lot of rides. We also did something like 5 theme parks. Didn't do Epcot, though. We're going to Fl for two weeks again this year, and I've already got a promise for Adventure Island at Universal. I'm a roller-coaster freak!

That being said, when the baby a little older (and actually born!), we'll probably take him/her to Disney. I think little kids love seeing the mouse! I suggested to get married there (Cheryl loves Mickey), then we found out it was $35k to get married by the giant rat. Uh, no.

Copper'sMom
May 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM
ooooh and the top deck will be all grass, and there will be a free doggy spa where you can learn to groom like a pro. And the pool of course. :) And free training lessons. And vacuuming of the pillows!!

And professional pooper scoopers too!! Afterall, it's our holiday too!!

Prin
May 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM
lol lol I didn't even think of that!!! Great idea!! :)