Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

the dog whisperer

fourdoggypaws
May 2nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone has seen the dog whisperer on National Geographic and what you all think. Cesar Millan has just come out with a new DVD called People Training for Dogs. Has anyone heard about this or has any advise?

happycats
May 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
I saw a little bit of him on (not sure if it was 20/20 or what) I thought he was amazing! He really has a way with dogs!
When I get a dog, I would love to get his DVD.

Writing4Fun
May 2nd, 2005, 04:27 PM
The Pets.ca resident training expert, Tenderfoot, had a comment to make about a "dog whisperer" on TV not too long ago. I don't know if it's the same person, though. Here's a link to her post (hope this works):
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=124693&postcount=27 I've never seen the show myself. :)

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
I love watching Cesar Millan. I like that he emphasizes that dogs ARE dogs, and not children and need to be treated like dogs.

He states that bad behavior will not be changed overnight, and that the owners are always responsible for these behaviors.

His credo of "Exercise, discipline and affection"(in that order) makes so much sense. The lack of any of these ingredients is usually the cause of most problems.

I have taken a few of his methods and used them with wonderful results.:)

tenderfoot
May 2nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Personally, I am not so impressed. I think he says a lot of correct things about relationship - can't argue with the truth, but he goes about implementing it in an unrealistic manner and does not give the person enough skills/knowledge to appropriately deal with the situation.
Here are some quotes taken from Pat Miller's review of the show in Bark Magazine - Winter 2004 issue.
"Cesar Millan is a far cry from the 'horse whisperers' of horse training fame. Rather than the calm reliance on pressure and release of pressure that those gentle trainers use, Millan relies heavily on "flooding" - a behavior modification techinique that requires the subject to be exposed to a fear causing stimulus until the subject no longer reacts - often through learned helplessness..... In fact, force appears to be Millan's answer to every behavior problem. Indeed,the owner of a Lab mix is biten when she attempts to apply the techniques demonstrated to her by Milan."
I have to agree, even Paul Owens who wrote the 'Dog Whisperer' does not apply true whispering techniques. - not to say that he isn't good, but people are using the term very loosely.
On our web site we are referred to as dog whisperers and the only reason I allowed it to be in there is because we DO use true whispering techniques that we learned over 20 years with the master horse whisperers in the US.
I do not think he is teaching people how to SAFELY and realistically deal with their dog's problems. He uses the 'alpha roll' far too liberally, and has his own pack of 50 dogs!!!!! do a lot of the work for him.

doggy lover
May 3rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
I have never heard of him but I have been reading Jan Fennell's books, some I have had to get from England, she is great. She doesn't recomend the alpha roll, or anything like that, it is just getting your dog to do what you want of its own free will. I have been using her method on my 11 month BC and must say he is alot more relaxed and is not as aggressive or posessive.

bluntman
May 4th, 2005, 09:45 AM
The dog whisper is one of my favorite show's because he does show people "They are the problem, not the dog" and he does show the general public, breeds are not the big issue, but owners are. but I do not agree with all of his his methods, so I do not take the show to literally. I would much rather see Doug and Elizabeth have there own weekly show, But for now Cesar will have to do. With the media blameing certain breeds for all of our dog issuse, it is nice to see someone stand up for the underdog's out there.

tenderfoot
May 4th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much for your vote of confidence Bluntman - know any good producers looking to make a great dog show?
I do like to hear Cesar put the responsibility on the people's shoulders - it is so refreshing. So often our classes become therapy sessions for the people, we teach that dogs are perfect mirrors to their people - so if the person changes the dog changes. It can be so tough to get people to look at themselves - I have been known to make a few people cry during our trainings because we hit an emotional nerve, but deep inside I know that progress is being made because they are looking at something they had avoided to too long. It has become a running joke "so did you make that one cry?". I don't really take pride in it, but it makes the job that much more fascinating. One time I suggested to a vet that he find the little boy inside in order to play and connect with his golden retriever and his eyes just welled up with tears. I think he was having some really huge moments there (he was a rather stoic fellow).
Wow, I think I just ran off on a bizarre tangent. - sorry.