Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Greatest Cat Story?

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
One of my adolescent patients today referred me (by email - such a great way to communicate with your doctor - wish we had that when I was a kid, lol) to a good science fiction story about a cat - claimed he had read somewhere it was considered the best cat story ever written - and it is online. If interested, you can read it here:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/leiber/index.html

My patient insists this story
"is delightful and heartwrenching and probably the greatest cat story of all time. Leiber (the author) succeeds, I think, in convincing us that this is really how cats think (and yes, for all you evil cat-haters out there, cats certainly do think. What mine was thinking when he scampered 25 feet into a tree the other day, I don't know, however...)

My own opinion - not really being a fan of scifi, was that it was interesting - unusual- but I am not sure I'd label it the greatest cat story. (I still like That Darn Cat but then i am partial to Siamese kitties and to happy outcomes.) That said, I love the kitten's name -Gummitch!

chico2
May 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
CK,a friend of my gave me a James Herriot book simply called "Cat Stories",it's a wonderful book with several cat-stories,experiences he has had with strays and other cats..a great little book,funny and sad..

CyberKitten
May 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Chico, I just finished a book given to me by a patient called "Cat Stories", a Canadian one - lots of sad and happy "tales" shall we say. :)

chico2
May 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
James Heriot is from the UK,the same person who wrote"Creatures great and small"I believe the title was something like that :D
He is a great animal-lover..
I guess there is more than one"Cat Stories".

Lucky Rescue
May 3rd, 2005, 09:32 AM
One of the greatest cat stories I ever read is a little book called "Charles, Story of a Friendship". It is a true story of a Siamese cat during the WWII years.

CyberKitten
May 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Ohh! I'd love to find that Lucky!! I'll look for it at a 2nd hand book store.