Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help with socializing a pit with 2 cats

cloverpover
May 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Hi, I'm taking in my friends 2 year old brindle pit because they can no longer keep him. I have 2 male cats, who are VERY friendly and loving, and I would LOVE for them to all get along. Does anyone have any advice on how to start them off on the right foot? Any help would be appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
The most important issue is if this dog is used to cats? Lived with them? Non-aggressive to them?

You need to find that out first. I have a pit bull and 3 cats, and if the dog is fine with cats, I can give you some pointers.

Gripenfelter
May 2nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
If you're worried about the dog, maybe keep the dog on a leash around them until he gets used to the cats. Give him a treat when he acts in a positive way towards the cats. Thats what a friend of mine did with his new pup.

cloverpover
May 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
im not really sure how he is with cats because he has never been around them. but i would love to hear more of your suggestions! how do you introduce them? i know when i introduced my cats to each other i let them smell each other through the bedroom door for a few days before i actually let them see each other... should i try a similar approach with my dog?

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
You need to be very cautious. Many pit bulls are very aggressive to other animals and have a high prey drive.

Since this dog has not been around cats, you need to bring him into the house on leash, and see what he does when he sees the cats. And hang on tightly.

The best result is that he ignores them. If he lunges and pulls excitedly, you may be able to work it out with strict training. If he lunges and growls that would be the worst scenario.

I cannot give advice until I know what his reaction is.

cloverpover
May 2nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
I will let you know how he does. I am getting him this Wednesday. Thanks again!