Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Show Training help

Gripenfelter
May 2nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
My pup started dog show training this past saturday.

He was awful. :D

He has to basically unlearn everything he learned in puppy class. Stand instead of sit to wait for instructions, stay, etc.

He absolutely hates the dog show lead and chain collar that goes under his chin. Hates it so much he rolls over on his back after a few steps and tries to chew the chain off LOL.

I was laughing so hard I couldn't bring myself to scold him. :crazy:

Anyways, any online guides for stacking, etc. that I can work on before next class?

Writing4Fun
May 2nd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Hey there. LuckyRescue posted a very helpful link in a recent thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14639

HTH! :D

mona_b
May 2nd, 2005, 06:46 PM
To be honest,stacking should be taught at a very young age.I have known breeders to start this as early as 5 weeks.And I know a few who do show their dogs.And they started early with this.If your breeder is showing,then this would be the perfect person to be working with.Have you gone to any Dog Shows and talked to anyone there?

Gripenfelter
May 3rd, 2005, 09:13 AM
I'm heading to a dog show in 2 weeks. Mid Canada Dog show.

Does anyone know if you can take your dog there even if he isn't entered in the show?

Gripenfelter
May 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
Shannon1233 sent me this link: http://www.raritiesinc.ca/show%20handling%20tips.htm

LavenderRott
May 3rd, 2005, 11:29 PM
Generally speaking, dogs that are not being exhibited (except those associated with rescue groups that have booths) are not welcome.

wjranch
May 4th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I had found the same problems with my Dobie when we began training to show. He had to re-learn a few things too :) The easiest way I found was to drop ALL sit training from his Obedience work. (Sit is so easy and was pretty ingrained in him already I figured we could stop working on it and not lose it)
I began teaching him to STAND in place of SIT in all his work from then on. It really helped with the Handling classes. I used food to lure him into a stand position and say "stand". He learned it fast, as he's totally food driven!

From there, we began working on stacking. I believe that a dog that is properly built "falls" into a free stack almost perfectly.
Form to Function applies here. If the dog isn't built properly, it will have to be "formally stacked" to appear to be correct.
You should be able to 'catch' your dog free stacking occasionally... watch how he places all four feet under him when he's standing next to you. When he stops walking and all his feet have stopped moving.... If he's anywhere near the correct position, tell him "good stand" and treat him :) You can progress to asking him to "step up" on foot at a time to encourage him to stand square... Have patience, he'll get it

The hardest thing I've had to work on with my pup was heeling and fighting the show collar. He's a forger big time! and I've had troubles getting him to come into a heel position for even 1 second! He would be constantly pulling on his collar to the point that I couldn't even correct him, he was always IN correction by pulling. I was fighting a losing battle, I switched to a prong/pinch collar (medium wieght) and have had great success with it! I use voice first to correct, IF he doesn't heed it quick he gets corrected with the collar. It has made a huge difference in our daily walks as well as our Handling classes. He still pulls a bit, and has figured out how to shake the choke collar so it is ineffective (it's a timing issue on my part, I'm working on it) With practice and patience it's starting to come together for us now.
Keep us updated on how his Handling training is coming along. And please post any tidbits of info you come across for the rest of us?? I know I need all the help I can get!! ;)

Gripenfelter
May 4th, 2005, 10:35 AM
The hardest thing I've had to work on with my pup was heeling and fighting the show collar. He's a forger big time! and I've had troubles getting him to come into a heel position for even 1 second! He would be constantly pulling on his collar to the point that I couldn't even correct him, he was always IN correction by pulling. I was fighting a losing battle, I switched to a prong/pinch collar (medium wieght) and have had great success with it! I use voice first to correct, IF he doesn't heed it quick he gets corrected with the collar. It has made a huge difference in our daily walks as well as our Handling classes. He still pulls a bit, and has figured out how to shake the choke collar so it is ineffective (it's a timing issue on my part, I'm working on it) With practice and patience it's starting to come together for us now.
Keep us updated on how his Handling training is coming along. And please post any tidbits of info you come across for the rest of us?? I know I need all the help I can get!! ;)

Yeah I'm having this problem too. He pulls to the point that he chokes and then he rolls over onto his back and tries to chew the chain.

db7
May 4th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Youngsters!

shannon1233A
May 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM
That's not the link I sent you, that links to a car supply site! This is what I sent you:
http://www.raritiesinc.ca/show%20handling%20tips.htm

Gripenfelter
May 4th, 2005, 01:13 PM
That's not the link I sent you, that links to a car supply site! This is what I sent you:
http://www.raritiesinc.ca/show%20handling%20tips.htm

BWhahaha!! Sorry I was looking at parts for my car at the same time and posted the wrong url. :crazy:

shannon1233A
May 4th, 2005, 01:17 PM
BWhahaha!! Sorry I was looking at parts for my car at the same time and posted the wrong url. :crazy:

No problem but you might want to edit your original post to show the right link, I don't want anyone thinking I'm advertising!

Apparently that's why Kenzie's pet page was removed originally, there was advertising on it....don't know how it got there, I have NO affiliation with ANY business of any sort.

CyberKitten
May 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM
If you want to enter your dog in a show, you need to do it ahead of time. And your best bet is to find a mentor for your particular breed. Usually, your breeder shoud help you with this - instructing you on how they show their dogs and what is involved. Most reputable breeders are only too happy to share this knowledge. I would contact your breeder to start with.

Also, observe everything you can at the show you attend. (I would not bring my dog to the show however unless you have already entered him and have some idea of the process). My guess is you will find a suitable mentor (if your breeder cannot help you) and you can learn the "ropes" so to speak.

Good luck!

mona_b
May 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Generally speaking, dogs that are not being exhibited (except those associated with rescue groups that have booths) are not welcome.

Sandi is correct.This show is only for those entered.And of course the rescue groups.

Does your breeder show at all?Did you want to show him when you got him?Also,not all pups are born to be in the show world.... :)

Gripenfelter
May 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM
The breeder insists I show him and I want to show him. :)

I'll contact her. :)

mona_b
May 7th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Well then if the breeder shows and has Champion or Titled dogs,and has produced previous Champion or Titled dogs,then go for it.Talk to your breeder.They are the the best ones to show you how to get started.They will work with you.... :)

Just remember,it takes alot of work and patience and money..You have to be willing to do alot of traveling also....And even then he may not be of show quality.

Good Luck

Gripenfelter
May 9th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Well then if the breeder shows and has Champion or Titled dogs,and has produced previous Champion or Titled dogs,then go for it.Talk to your breeder.They are the the best ones to show you how to get started.They will work with you.... :)

Just remember,it takes alot of work and patience and money..You have to be willing to do alot of traveling also....And even then he may not be of show quality.

Good Luck

Patience...oh yeah. He hates the dog show lead and collar.