Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

doggy bruise

raingirl
May 2nd, 2005, 10:48 AM
Oh my I feel so bad. I know it was an accident, but still.

Two nights ago I was putting Odin's food dish down. His food is at the base of a pantry, and I have the paper towel holder on the side his food is on. As I stood up I hit the paper towel holder and the whole thing fell off, hit me in the head, then hit Odin on the head! He was really freaked out and skittish all night, but didn't seem in pain at all when I touched his head.

So..last night he was sitting beside me and I saw he has a bruise on the top of his head! I can see it right threw his fur (the fur on his head is thin and you can see his skin easily). At first I thought it was dirt, because he rubbed against a car yesterday, but when I touched it, he flinched!

I feel so bad. I don't think there is anything much I can do now, but would ice make it feel better for him??

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 11:03 AM
LOL Do you have a bruise too? I've never seen a bruise on a doggy from a small accident like that. I don't know if he'd tolerate ice, but ice is usually only beneficial in the initial hours to prevent swelling...

raingirl
May 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
I don't know if I have a bruise, never thought to ask my BF to look (top of my head). My head is sore though too. the towel holder was solid wood and heavy!

Yeah, I figured ice wouldn't help this late. He doens't seem to have any side effects though, and patting his head doesn't bother him unless I touch the bruise only, and then he flinches a little.

Prin
May 2nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
I have 2 older brothers who used to do that and I flinched too... :)

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
Don't worry about it. He was probably upset from the surprise of it, and not pain.

These dogs have heads made of cement, and nothing short of a sledgehammer blow can really hurt them.

My Chloe smashes her head on door frames and doesn't even slow down, BUT if she thinks I hurt her on purpose (stepping lightly on her paw with stocking feet) she carries on like she is being dismembered.:p

goldenblaze
May 2nd, 2005, 01:46 PM
My Chloe smashes her head on door frames and doesn't even slow down, BUT if she thinks I hurt her on purpose (stepping lightly on her paw with stocking feet) she carries on like she is being dismembered.:p

So true and too funny :) Blaze run into door frame and looked at me like it was my fault :confused: